Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Re: Is there a single sheriff's office that does handgun transfers to 18-20 y/o here?

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.D. View Post
    you don't think the whole thing sounds fishy?
    And to follow up on the other posters, the whole "it sounds fishy" tack seems to simply be a way for you to not admit you were wrong. Man up, friend.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Is there a single sheriff's office that does handgun transfers to 18-20 y/o here?

yeah, see you in 3 years... learn the law first. google is a wonderful thing
    Actually good advice. While you are there look up the ufa.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

ok i'm wrong... feel better now?
    The chair is against the wall... John has a long mustache...

(Luzerne County)

No, really read the ufa.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Dauphin County)

I wasn't feeling bad, but you were looking bad. Do you feel better? You should. There is nothing wrong with being wrong, except being wrong and refusing to admit it.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

In Pennsylvania, gifting of a statutory firearm (ie. handguns, and certain other firearms covered by the transfer restrictions) is only one of the ways statutorily enumerated family members can legally transfer statutory firearms to each other. But this is an exception to the transfer procedures of statutory firearms and not to restrictions related to prohibited persons, straw purchasing, and other restrictions.

On a side note, statutorily enumerated family members can also sell statutory firearms to each other. The restriction to this would be that the firearm must already be purchased/owned by the statutorily enumerated family member and not purchased on behalf of another person from a licensed dealer (this would be considered a straw purchase). Buying a statutory firearm to give as a bonafide gift to a statutorily enumerated family member is an exception to this restriction, and it is why the term gifting is so commonly used on these forums. Keep in mind, that family members are narrowly defined in the law. That’s why I keep using the term statutorily enumerated family members to hammer this point. An example of how narrow the law defines it is that brother and sister transfers would not qualify for the exception. I included the relevant part of the statute below, and placed emphasis on the exception for statutorily enumerated family members.

§ 6111. Sale or transfer of firearms.
    (c) Duty of other persons.--Any person who is not a licensed importer, manufacturer or dealer and who desires to sell or transfer a firearm to another unlicensed person shall do so only upon the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sheriff's office, the latter of whom shall follow the procedure set forth in this section as if he were the seller of the firearm. The provisions of this section shall not apply to transfers between spouses or to transfers between a parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and grandchild.
    Last edited by Mosinshooter762; September 17th, 2019 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    I wasn't feeling bad, but you were looking bad. Do you feel better? You should. There is nothing wrong with being wrong, except being wrong and refusing to admit it.
    i don't feel bad. Something is wrong with this scenario, sorry if i don't believe people are inherently good and innocent... but if everyone says so i must be wrong
    The chair is against the wall... John has a long mustache...

(Dauphin County)

i don't feel bad. Something is wrong with this scenario, sorry if i don't believe people are inherently good and innocent... but if everyone says so i must be wrong
    I'm not necessarily saying you are wrong about your doubt of his story (although I have no reason at this point to doubt it), but you are wrong about the law.

(Allegheny County)

What could possibly be "wrong" here? A guy is looking to do something legally and is willing to go out of his way to stay legal. That's a textbook case of right.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Or will he? It's not like it benefits his office any. I applaud the young man for wanting to own a firearm as early as he can and I can appreciate his endeavor. I would say that his best chance would be with Sheriff Weachnect in Reading and a call to their office should be sufficient to get an answer. Please keep us updated with your progress.
    Will definitely give them a call, thank you!! I haven’t been on here for a couple days and there were a hell of a lot more responses than I anticipated so I’m combing them over now. Also recently in my search an FFL near me recommended that if I can’t find one, I could buy an 80% lower for a Glock 19 and finish it myself.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast