Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: concealed carry for green card holders

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    Philadelphia will not issue LTCFs to nonresident aliens.
    Probably fo rthe same reason they will not issue to NON RESIDENT citizens of the US. I think it has some thing to do with "non Residency" Not 100% sure but it could be...
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Probably fo rthe same reason they will not issue to NON RESIDENT citizens of the US. I think it has some thing to do with "non Residency" Not 100% sure but it could be...
    Sorry, I should have said nonimmigrant aliens. Even if they live in Philadelphia. See box 3.

Actually, you can vote, just not in Presidential elections

Frenchy, where did you get that info?

http://usgovinfo.about.com/blvrbystate.htm

Every state lists US Citizenship as the first requirement for voter registration except North Dakota who doesn't have voter registration.

http://www.nd.gov/sos/electvote/voti...r-qualifi.html

North Dakota still requires you to be a US Citizen to vote. A non-citizen voting can be construed as false claim to US Citizenship and can get you deported.

As for deportation, If you get deported, chances are an American would have gone to jail for the very same reasons.

This is not so. Certain crimes of moral turpitude and most firearms offenses will get you deported and a US Citizen will normally not go to jail for these crimes.

(Berks County)

Per the PICS manual issued to sheriff's departments:

In addition to proof of identification, a non U.S. Citizen must provide proof of residency at the address listed on the government-issued photo identification document and must show an Alien Registration card or travel visa including I94 number. Prior to the application date and before the transer can be made, residency must be established for a period of 90 continuous days, at the residence listed on the government issued ID. Examples of qualifying documentation to prove residency include: utility bills, lease agreements, credit card statements and pay stubs that include the current residential address. ( Certain individuals may possess diplomatic letters from the Secretary of State and Attorney General in lieu of an alien registration card or a travel visa). Non-Immigrant aliens are prohibited from purchasing firearms unless one of the exceptions provided in 18 U.S.C. 922(Y)(2) is met.

Quote Originally Posted by smoothest View Post
    Per the PICS manual issued to sheriff's departments:

In addition to proof of identification, a non U.S. Citizen must provide proof of residency at the address listed on the government-issued photo identification document and must show an Alien Registration card or travel visa including I number. Prior to the application date and before the transfer can be made, residency must be established for a period of 90 continuous days, at the residence listed on the government issued ID. Examples of qualifying documentation to prove residency include: utility bills, lease agreements, credit card statements and pay stubs that include the current residential address. ( Certain individuals may possess diplomatic letters from the Secretary of State and Attorney General in lieu of an alien registration card or a travel visa). Non-Immigrant aliens are prohibited from purchasing firearms unless one of the exceptions provided in 18 U.S.C. 922(Y)(2) is met.
    Believe me, when you show the Sheriff the proper Permanent resident card, he is 100% assured you have a very clean background.

Last time I saw my file it was over 6 inch thick, there are background checks done at every level of government, inside outside the us, in your country of origin, through Interpol, All of the required documents you list above have already been fulfilled when you have a Permanent resident card, what you list is for non permanent residents.
    Any one who has been through the full process knows they have their fingerprints/hand prints, palm prints, in every database imaginable.

If you have a scar on your hand, it is scrutinized and they ask how it happened, they ask about body marks, operations and anything that could help identify you better, I was surprised they did not ask for DNA, butt prints, foot prints and teeth prints.
    So anything they ask over and above your A# is not needed, when I went, I gave my A# without showing my card, and the secretary there forgot to file it. Took about a week, it bounced back and work was asking me questions because they where getting calls, I was refused a purchase, and PICS told me there was a "discrepancy" in my file... The sales man repeated my A# to the pics, then I looked at my LTCF and saw the A# was not on there. Went back to the Sheriff's office and had them correct it, 30 minutes later got a call all was fixed.

The 90 day requirement is a local thing, the Sheriff in many community ask that you be a resident of their county 90 days, (they ask this of every applicant) but the A# proves you have been in the state/Country more then 90 days as you do not get a permanent resident card until you have been issued a temporary resident card for 2 years.

The Sheriff or the PD in Philly can ask you anything, but whether you are required to give it or not is an other question.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZ View Post
    Actually, you can vote, just not in Presidential elections

Frenchy, where did you get that info?

http://usgovinfo.about.com/blvrbystate.htm

Every state lists US Citizenship as the first requirement for voter registration except North Dakota who doesn't have voter registration.

http://www.nd.gov/sos/electvote/voti...r-qualifi.html

North Dakota still requires you to be a US Citizen to vote. A non-citizen voting can be construed as false claim to US Citizenship and can get you deported.

As for deportation, If you get deported, chances are an American would have gone to jail for the very same reasons.

This is not so. Certain crimes of moral turpitude and most firearms offenses will get you deported and a US Citizen will normally not go to jail for these crimes.
    http://www.immihelp.com/greencard/retain-greencard.html

Once an immigrant becomes a Permanent Resident a lot of opportunities will be open to them that they could not take advantage of previously. They will be able to work without applying for an EAD (Employment Authorisation Document) and live anywhere they please in the United States. But while Permanent Residents have most of the rights that native born and naturalised US citizens when it comes to the right of abode in the United States and the freedom to apply for jobs that are not restricted to US citizens, are Permanent Residents legally entitled to vote?
    While voting in national elections is open to all US citizens 18 years of age and above in accordance with the 26th amendment of the United States Constitution, it is not an option that is open to Permanent Residents unless they participate in local or state elections {that} do not require voters to be US citizens before they cast their vote. If you vote in a national election under the false pretence of being a US citizen, you will not only face deportation from the United Sates, but you are also more than likely to lose your status as a Permanent Resident. It is a very serious crime to vote when you are not legally entitled to do so and the authorities will not hesitate to take action.
    As a Permanent resident, You can vote in School, municipal, state elections, you may not vote in NATIONAL elections, that would be the Presidentials.
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/art..._entitled.html
    FWIW, I do not vote in any election and before you do, as a non citizen, you should always ask if it is reserved to citizens only.

The other link http://www.immihelp.com/greencard/retain-greencard.html that i showed has a lot of info on what a perm resident can and can not do as well.

It is nice to see you believe this. Perhaps as a US citizen you would like to test it and see where it gets you. As for myself, I will stay clean seeing I tend to like my freedom. Just because you are "deported" does not mean you are free in your country, you can still be charged there for crimes you did abroad.

do not require voters to be US citizens before they cast their vote. If you vote in a national election under the false pretence of being a US citizen, you will not only face deportation from the United Sates, but you are also more than likely to lose your status as a Permanent Resident
    I simply can not believe a legal mind had to think this line up...
    Last edited by Frenchy; February 23rd, 2009 at 04:47 PM.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Clint Eastwood

You can vote in School, municipal, state elections, you may not vote in NATIONAL elections, that would be the Presidentials.

Frenchy, if you can't register in any state unless you're a USC how can you vote?

It is nice to see you believe this. Perhaps as a US citizen you would like to test it and see where it gets you. As for myself, I will stay clean seeing I tend to like my freedom.

I've never been arrested and don't intend to start now. However you can check:

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/s...7----000-.html

8 USC 1227 lists crimes a green card holder can be deported for including:

(C) Certain firearm offenses
    Any alien who at any time after admission is convicted under any law of purchasing, selling, offering for sale, exchanging, using, owning, possessing, or carrying, or of attempting or conspiring to purchase, sell, offer for sale, exchange, use, own, possess, or carry, any weapon, part, or accessory which is a firearm or destructive device (as defined in section 921 (a) of title 18) in violation of any law is deportable.

I know of a case where a green card holder (LPR, legal permanent resident) who lived in the US for over 20 years fired a round off in the air to welcome the New Year was convicted of Discharging a Firearm in the city limits and had to pay a fine. He eventually was deported. If you're a LPR going to jail has nothing to do with the deportation opnly the fact you've been convicted.

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZ View Post
    8 USC 1227 lists crimes a green card holder can be deported for including:

(C) Certain firearm offenses
    Any alien who at any time after admission is convicted under any law of purchasing, selling, offering for sale, exchanging, using, owning, possessing, or carrying, or of attempting or conspiring to purchase, sell, offer for sale, exchange, use, own, possess, or carry, any weapon, part, or accessory which is a firearm or destructive device (as defined in section 921 (a) of title 18) in violation of any law is deportable.
    Wow so they should deport me and many others here who are Permanent residents, as there are probably 10 to 15 of us on there and we all own weapons.

I take it you went through the whole Alien resident thing to know so much, cause I have and did not know I could not own guns... (weapons) and certainly the Sheriff who handed me my LTCF did not know, and the BATF who asks for your A# on their forms do not know...

Anyway, I am off this thread, the answer was given, the only thing that by law you need to get your LTCF is your A# (card) and proof of residency, (the green card doubles as proof of residency.)

What ever else the Sheriff ask is as valid as him saying Open carry is illegal or that you can not carry with one in the chamber or that drinking a slush puppy in November is not advisable.

PS, you can register to vote, but hey what do I know, I am just a Frenchman..

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Clint Eastwood

(Allegheny County)

I carried a green card till i was 19 and got my U.S. citizenship.

I registered for the draft at 18.

In order to enlist in either the Navy or Air Force, I had to be a citizen.

The Army and Marines didn't much care if you had that status.

27naturalizedhand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Wow so they should deport me and many others here who are Permanent residents, as there are probably 10 to 15 of us on there and we all own weapons.

I take it you went through the whole Alien resident thing to know so much, cause I have and did not know I could not own guns... (weapons) and certainly the Sheriff who handed me my LTCF did not know, and the BATF who asks for your A# on their forms do not know...

Anyway, I am off this thread, the answer was given, the only thing that by law you need to get your LTCF is your A# (card) and proof of residency, (the green card doubles as proof of residency.)

What ever else the Sheriff ask is as valid as him saying Open carry is illegal or that you can not carry with one in the chamber or that drinking a slush puppy in November is not advisable.

PS, you can register to vote, but hey what do I know, I am just a Frenchman..
    He's just saying that if you were convicted of breaking any law relating to firearms, you could be deported. Which is true. You may of course own guns legally (in PA).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast