Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Best ideas for security......

I took some screws out of my screen door handle (fine they fell out) so when it is locked and you go up open it the handle slides out and the inner handle drops to the ground and makes a loud noise.

Also my brilliant kids leave their toys out on the floor sp you trip on cars and other round objects and if you are barefoot it hurts a lot.
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
    I've been attacked by a pair of German Shepherds. I was called out to a business to make a repair, I opened the warehouse door and got jumped by the dogs. I sustained minor injuries and still have scars nearly 15 years later. I can tell you that if I had been armed it probably would have gone differently. I don't think an armed burglar will hesitate to kill your dogs.
    Possibly, but it doesn't make dogs a bad idea.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
    I've been attacked by a pair of German Shepherds. I was called out to a business to make a repair, I opened the warehouse door and got jumped by the dogs. I sustained minor injuries and still have scars nearly 15 years later. I can tell you that if I had been armed it probably would have gone differently. I don't think an armed burglar will hesitate to kill your dogs.
    And that is the risk they are willing to take to protect me. Its all layers of security. They are just another layer. A criminal being armed does not totally negate a dog. Just because he may be willing to shoot does not negate that they could get him first.
    <-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]

(Allegheny County)

When I think of my dog as 'security', attack/protection mode is not the first priority. She's more early detection and a deterant. She'll let me know you're there long before you get to the house. And if she doesn't know you, you'll know she means business long before you get in the house.

A good dog is there to warn BOTH of us. If you don't heed her warnings while her pack is threatened, I'll take my chances with the legal system.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post
    Given that criminals troll threads like this, try to keep any specific information that could help them from being posted; speak in generalities if possible.

All that being said, in 2011 we had a burglary and I had guns stolen. After that incident, security became a year long project I undertook. We now have multiple cameras recording 24/7 in and around the house. We have outside lights which are motion activated. Walk into the beam, set off the lights, and be recorded. Also in the house are motion sensors on every floor. The system also has redundancies....if the phone line is cut (a favorite trend of criminals now) we have cell phone backup which will call the police. We have a backup generator which kicks on automatically if the power goes out to keep the system running. We have other things too which I will not mention here.

All that being said, I am always looking for good ideas from others and what they are doing in regards to their security. So as much as you can share, I would be curious of any innovative ideas you might be employing.
    I didn't read all the responses but if it hasn't been said....just buy a shotgun and fire off two rounds once they hear it they will run. If your not home just record the sound that can be motion activated and it will have the same effect. I know this is proven method becuase the source is a serious operator.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by SL Dan View Post
    I find it interesting that the guy that mentions using an automated OC/pepper spray system gets jumped on, meanwhile multiple folks keep mentioning "big and bad" dogs seemingly as an acceptable alternative. Think there wouldn't be a law suit if your dog bit ("attacked") a BG?? <shrug>
    I think the users who posted a warning about using "traps" and the like were worried about a burgular sueing. I haven't seen a case where someone commiting b and e was sucessfull in sueing for damages from a dog bite. I have read several cases where a trap got someone sued.

In my mind I could live with what would come from using a trap in my home.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ACRblaze View Post
    I didn't read all the responses but if it hasn't been said....just buy a shotgun and fire off two rounds once they hear it they will run. If your not home just record the sound that can be motion activated and it will have the same effect. I know this is proven method becuase the source is a serious operator.
    Stop advocating breaking the law.........ohh wait the VP said it is o.k. carry on.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Indiana County)

Leave a single shot shotgun and an old rusty .22 in a corner with a half box of ammo for each on a nearby shelf.

The crooks will see this and quickly deduce that you are dirt poor with nothing to steal and will move on to your neighbors home.

(Allegheny County)

It's not foolproof, but it can give you some warning, especially if you have a long driveway and you're home. I put this in mainly to know when the wife was home and UPS/FedEx etc was delivering You could get inventive and place more around your property but these do require metal movement to activate, sensitivity is adjustable. It detected when my daughter rode her bike down the driveway at a higher setting.

Driveway Alarm

(Allegheny County)

Light Switch Timer

These have a solar calendar in them so you don't have to fiddle with them once they are set! I have absolutely fell in LOVE with these for exterior lights on the perimeter...BUT, they can also run in a randomized mode for INTERIOR use! Install a few in your main lighting areas, bedroom, family room, kitchen, a kids room and when you go on a trip set them to randomize mode!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast