Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Carbon County)

Default no nics checks in Fla 4 over a year

she'll probably get early retirement at $80k a year

the guy in charge of the agency is now running for governor

Florida Didn't Conduct Gun Background Checks for a Year Because an Employee Couldn't Log In

The Florida government did not conduct background checks on thousands of applicants for concealed weapons for a year because the state employee was unable to log into the system.

According to a February 2016 investigative report from Florida’s Inspector General, first reported by the Tampa Bay Times, a state Division of Licensing employee identified as Lisa Wilde was unable to log into the system to actually complete these background checks. She never mitigated this issue.

When determining eligibility for purchasing a firearm, applicants must undergo a background check known as the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), which is administered by the FBI. In Florida, these background checks are used as indicators of eligibility for concealed weapon licenses.

In March 2017 — over a year later — an employee with the Bureau of Licensing realized the NICS records were not being reviewed. The report was issued in June of 2017.

According to the Tampa Bay Times, applications for concealed weapons permits in Florida at this time—which coincided with the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando that left 49 dead—were at a record high.

The report concluded Wilde as negligent in failing to send over these background checks. The Division of Licensing is housed under the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Service. Adam Putnam, the commissioner of that department, is now running for Governor.
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/flori...ity&soc_trk=fb

http://www.tampabay.com/florida-poli...ouldnt-log-in/
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Warren County)

Default Re: no nics checks in Fla 4 over a year

Another example of .GOV doing what .GOV does: gorping things up.

They never have to face the consequences of their actions or lack of actions - just like police, teachers, CIA agents, FBI agents, EPA and BLM administrators, IRS stooges (Lois Lerner) and congress.

Attachment 108588
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Chester County)

Yeah... I believe everything I read on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    I didn't read it but, prove its fake. I could believe something like that.
    After watching youtube videos for years, anything is possible.

I looked into this a little bit this week.

Florida doesn't use NICS, it's a point-of-contact state like PA is. So the scary headlines that "no background checks were done for a year" is another Lefty lie.

I found stories talking about all the people denied by the Florida background checks not being prosecuted under state law, and they mentioned in passing the many folks denied in 2016, which was the year that this story claims no checks were being done.

It's not good if Florida was only denying folks who had prohibiting incidents IN FLORIDA, because that allows felons and others who moved into Florida with a lot of legal baggage to skate the check. Further, they end up being "felons in possession" (or more accurately, "prohibited persons in possession"). They know they passed the background check because they stood in the FFL's premises and watched it get called in, then years later they get involved in something and cops run their history and BOOM there's an issue over them having a gun.

I'd expect this outage to benefit a tiny number of people caught with guns over the next decade, if they passed when they shouldn't. It's not a legal excuse, but it sure muddies the waters.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    It's not just on the internet. It's in Tampa Bay Times, New York Post, and CBS News.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-...e-than-a-year/

But........ time to get a CCW permit fell from 12 weeks to 35 days! lol

(Schuylkill County)

Thoroughly discussed on the Florida gun forums.
    All background checks were done but one employee failed to upload 365 applications to the correct database. She was fired and 291 applications were revoked. The affected people would have gotten a license to carry but still would not have been able to buy a gun.
    This is being interpreted as a political dirty trick against Adam Putnam, the commissioner of Agriculture (who is in charge of gun permits in FL) who is running for governor. He is also the one who David Hogg targeted by a die-in at Publix supermarkets, a corporation that supported Putnam. The left must really hate this guy.

From NRA-ILA:

Florida Alert: Background Checks WERE done on Applicants for Gun Licenses
    DATE: June 9, 2018
    TO: USF & NRA Member and Friends
    USF Executive Director
    NRA Past President

The media isn't getting it right and anti-gun Democrats don't want to get it right -- for some, it's all about attacking a candidate for political reasons. This issue is extremely important to all firearms owners and license holders. Truth and facts matter, so here is what really happened.

THE FACTS:

The Division of Licensing under the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (DOACS) did, in fact, do background checks on applicants for licenses to carry concealed weapons or firearms.

Background checks were done through FCIC (Florida Criminal Information Computer system) and NCIC (National Criminal Information Computer system -- the national FBI fingerprint data base) and they also did a NICS check (National Instant Check System), which is the name-based background check system.

The NICS system is the same system used by retail firearms dealers to do background checks when a person buys a firearm.

ALL THREE BACKGROUND CHECKS WERE DONE.

During the time the employee failed to do her job, approximately 350,000 applicants for carry licenses were processed. Of those 350,000, 365 had a disqualifier based on the NICS background check.

The employee should have uploaded those 365 into the internal computer system to stop the processing of those applications. She did not. So those 365 applicants got their licenses anyhow.

Although they got their licenses to CARRY firearms, they still would not have been allowed to purchase a firearm from a firearms dealer because the same NICS background check would have been performed by a dealer and would have stopped them from purchasing a firearm.

A license to carry does not exempt a person from the background check required when you purchase a firearm. The license ONLY exempts a license holder from the 3-day waiting period.

When the Division discovered the problem, the employee was let go. The Division then ran new background checks on all 365 applicants who initially had NICS name-based disqualifiers. Of those 365, 74 were cleared and 291 still had disqualifiers, so their licenses to carry firearms were immediately suspended.

THOSE ARE THE FACTS. The facts don't fit narrative being pushed by the anti-gun political opponents of the Commissioner of Agriculture, Adam Putnam, who is a candidate for Governor.

Feel free to forward this Alert to family members, friends and fellow sportsmen and firearms owners.
    Last edited by Coops; June 11th, 2018 at 08:21 AM.

(Delaware County)

If you're an employee entrusted to work on background checks for CC, how is it even possible you're stupid and incompetent enough to not understand the import of your actions? I mean, yeah, I kow they're a government employee and all, but come on, it's not like an unmotivated mailman stuffing stacks of worthless weekly mailers down the street sewer.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    If you're an employee entrusted to work on background checks for CC, how is it even possible you're stupid and incompetent enough to not understand the import of your actions? I mean, yeah, I kow they're a government employee and all, but come on, it's not like an unmotivated mailman stuffing stacks of worthless weekly mailers down the street sewer.
    I'm guessing you never worked for government.
    Believe me, it's possible.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?