Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Deer Processing

(Montgomery County)

Default Deer Processing

I'm going deer hunting for the first time this year. I will be in South Sterling which is near Tobyhanna in the Poconos (Mount Pocono / Newfoundland / Pocono Pines would all be close). Does anyone know a good deer processor in the area?

Also, do you know if you use a processor, do you just field dress the animal and remove the head (if you want a trophy) and then take it to the processor....or do you need to quarter it or skin it?
    The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others.

(Butler County)

Default Re: Deer Processing

If taking it to a processor, just field dress it and take it in.
    If you plan on taking it to the taxidermist, be very careful on how far up your incision is, do not go past the ribs. Most processors will skin it for you and know what is needed for the taxidermist for an extra $25 or so. Some taxidermists will skin it as well and then you can take the rest to the processor.

(Monroe County)

I do all my own processing, but heres a GOOD TIP. Ask around, find a GOOD PROCESSOR and an HONEST ONE. Lest ye want your meat mixed with others and cut with beef and such...

Quote Originally Posted by dlistman View Post
    Also, do you know if you use a processor, do you just field dress the animal and remove the head (if you want a trophy) and then take it to the processor....or do you need to quarter it or skin it?
    With a little bit of preparation it is easy to process your own. I started years ago when they added antlerless tags and the cost on processing increased.

The most important thing after you harvest your deer is to field dress and get it cooled down as fast as possible. Be careful when you field dress as not to contaminate the meat. In archery season be prepared to process right away and have coolers and ice available. During the colder months I hang mine in an unheated garage for several days until I get around to processing.

If you want a mount, be sure to leave enough of the cape so the taxidermist has enough to work with. When you are skinning you may just want to cut the head from the torso and take both the head and skin to him. Too much is better than too little and it also gives him extra to repair any defects.
    Rick - NRA Endowment Member
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation

(Wayne County)

I've got a guy right on rt 690 right before you get into Moscow. 65 bucks cut and wrapped. He does not vacuum seal, I do that when I get it home. Just gut the deer and get it to him no problem. Tobyhanna to him would take you 20, 25 minutes. Sounds like your on 196 somewhere.

(Montgomery County)

Yea, I'm in South Sterling (about 3 miles north of the intersection of 191, 196, and 423. Sounds like a great option for me. What's the name of his store? Do have address or phone number?
    The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others.

(Wayne County)

Dlistman he works in a building behind his house I'll get the number for ya.

(Wayne County)

Dlistman the guy I told you about on Rt 690 by Moscow has opened his shop. Phone # 570-233-0328. Sign says 50 bucks. Good luck hunting this year

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the info!