Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default question on pistol registration please help !!!!!

Hi im new to this forum and have a question on getting a pistol that was given to me registered ... ill tell u the details and u guy and girls can hopefully give me an idea on how to go about this ... my grandfathers brother passed away and my grandfather got a pistol from his belongings well my grandfather gave the pistol to me and I am having a hard time getting it transferred into my name because everyone keeps saying I would need papers from the power of attorney .. well my grandfathers brother really didn't have anything or value .. he rented his house and had a car and that was about it so we didnt get a power of attorney for the estate because there was nothing really .. my grandfather is 87 years old and cannot walk do to diabetes ... how could i go about getting this pistol put into my name so I can legally carry it and own it ? Please help me

(Erie County)

Default Re: question on pistol registration please help !!!!!

He cannot walk and wont leave the house so he cannot go to a ffl dealer to do the paperwork

(Dauphin County)

If you are both Pennsylvania residents then your grandfather can legally give you a pistol he owns without completing any paperwork.

The problem is it isn't clear from your post whether your grandfather legally owns it.

You said he "got a pistol from his belongings". Did you grandfather's brother's estate go through probate? Was the pistol bequeathed to your grandfather in a will? If your grandfather just went and took it from his home, or something like that, he may not legally be the owner.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Erie County)

I am not sure I know that he is the only living relative to his brother and there was no will
    Last edited by springfield 03a3; December 15th, 2014 at 05:19 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by springfield 03a3 View Post
    I am not sure I know that he is the only living relative to his brother
    If your great-uncle had no kids, grandkids, great-grandkids, etc - his sibling would be on the next tier of heirs before any cousins, nieces, nephews.

So, the gun would legally be your grandfather's. And, he could legally give it to you without any paperwork.
    Last edited by knight0334; December 15th, 2014 at 05:24 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Erie County)

No he had no kids and was never married

(Delaware County)

What year did pistol sales between private parties first require a FFL transfer????

(Blair County)

First – There is NO registration in PA!

Second – You can receive a handgun from your Grandfather. No paper required.

Third – You have no real knowledge of how your Grandfather acquired the handgun and you have no reason to think it was illegally acquired.

Enjoy your new handgun.

Steve

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveWag View Post
    First – There is NO registration in PA!

Second – You can receive a handgun from your Grandfather. No paper required.

Third – You have no real knowledge of how your Grandfather acquired the handgun and you have no reason to think it was illegally acquired.

Enjoy your new handgun.

Steve
    As I mentioned earlier, this only applies if the OP and his grandfather are both residents of PA.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by springfield 03a3 View Post
    Hi im new to this forum and have a question on getting a pistol that was given to me registered ... ill tell u the details and u guy and girls can hopefully give me an idea on how to go about this ... my grandfathers brother passed away and my grandfather got a pistol from his belongings well my grandfather gave the pistol to me and I am having a hard time getting it transferred into my name because everyone keeps saying I would need papers from the power of attorney .. well my grandfathers brother really didn't have anything or value .. he rented his house and had a car and that was about it so we didnt get a power of attorney for the estate because there was nothing really .. my grandfather is 87 years old and cannot walk do to diabetes ... how could i go about getting this pistol put into my name so I can legally carry it and own it ? Please help me
    Registered?

There is no gun registry in Pa. I even called the SP when I moved back to Pa. several years ago, asking about it. What there is, is a State Police database of sales and transfers, which in the strictest definition of the law is not legal. This database is built up from sales and transfers, which are sent to the State Police. This is the database that LEO in Pa. use to check a firearm.
    Last edited by SevenMilePete; December 17th, 2014 at 02:45 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast