Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: So I found this Kevlar ballistic vest and helmet at goodwill. What’s it worth?

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    ^i read this but then couldn’t find any videos of surplus armor failing 20+ years old. Buddy told me it’s illegal to even have? Should I bring it back and demand a refund?
    You'll get more money for it by selling it to someone as knowledgeable as your buddy.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

Default Re: So I found this Kevlar ballistic vest and helmet at goodwill. What’s it worth?

I paid less than a good dinner and movie with the girl. No big loss. Might just put it in the shtf room and forget about it. On the same token, isn’t sell it in w heartbeat for the price of a new chest and back rig for my brother. Which appears to be about $250.
    Emergency Medicine prevents natural selection

(Bucks County)

Expiration dates .....on anything so labeled.... is an interesting subject to me. It's obviously needed with some things, other things are a bit puzzling.

I suspect some dates are there simply because the purchaser insists on one and won't buy without it, so the manufacturer accommodates.

I can understand that kevlar, being a weave that is stressed with dressing and undressing and weight-bearing configurations and may chemically change physical nature over time, would have an expiration. The manufacturer, poised to continue manufacturing and selling replacements, might be biased into applying the shortest of the estimated life research.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Northampton County)

Having many years of experience at DuPont chemical manufacturing facilities( millwright)I’ve seen Kevlar fail in many mechanical applications. I would never even consider using a vest that is well beyond twice the expiration date, even if the date of expiration is set for the manufacturer’s advantage.

(Luzerne County)

You could always test it !

One of life's truisms: Never invest in used parachutes or ballistic vests.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Montgomery County)

None of us are looking for a fight. Would probably still be better to wear if a fight were to find you than charging headlong wearing a t-shirt...

(Chester County)

Take it out and try to put it out of it's misery, if you can.

(Elk County)

Somebody thinks it's worth $500:

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=349349

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Somebody thinks it's worth $500:

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=349349

Noah
    At least he edited out that he paid $100 for it (with the helmet)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast