Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Young kids, strange dogs and clearing leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    State law only requires that a dog be under control, not leashed. That dog was neither.

Night fishing for trout was one of the reasons that I began carrying regularly. I was fishing the Zane Grey pool on the Delaware River once back around 2000 and a dog ran up and was barking at me from the edge of water and kept me out in the water for quite some time before he got bored and left. I picked up a .22 WMR derringer to keep in my waders on the way home that morning.
    Chester County: http://www.chesco.org/1059/Rules-Regulations

Pets are permitted, except in picnic areas. They must be restrained on a leash not exceeding six (6) feet in length, except at specified areas and under special conditions established by the Park Superintendent.[Section 35]

and

http://www.fishandboat.com/Boat/Boat...okChapter6.pdf

While on Commission property, dogs must be licensed and under control. When the
    dog is on a lawn area, trail or parking lot, it must be on a leash not to exceed 6 feet in
    length.

The top one may not apply, but the bottom one definitely does. They're on PAF&BC property, dog was required to be leashed.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Juniata County)

Nice job of restraint. A properly trained dog wouldn't need to wear a shock collar until the battery ran out. Your neighbor and his dog are lucky.

Now let's talk a little about why you had to go back inside to strap on the .38 instead of having it on you in the first place. Your mother and I raised you better than that.
    Not sure I agree. I've done damn near everything but beat my dog to death, he likes to wonder. Good dog, listens, likes the USP guy, put himself between a 500# bear and my kid. Damned if he well stay on my 9 acres without a shock collar. I know he makes a few of the neighbors nervous, he is a pittbull, thus, the shock collar. That and the fact that No matter what I did,. that dog wants to kill chickens, and that doesn't make happy neighbors. Before we got the shock collar, my one neighbor would call him over & tie him up when he went exploring. Even though I made sure they knew they were in their rights to shoot him if he caused problems.

Doesn't help that when we moved in some white trash had some mean German shepherds. Took after their owners.

Collies though, there is a dog that only wonders when they smell a bitch in heat. Farm a mile + down the road had it happen. Couldn't keep that dog on the property well she was in heat for anything, including a shock collar & shaved neck. Never left before that, & once she was knocked up, never again..
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Washington County)

I actually hard a large unfamiliar dog appear in my back yard last weekend. He was clean looking from 25 yards away and had a collar. He barked at me, with tail wagging, and he seemed to be just curious and a little afraid. I talked to him in that friendly dog voice most people have, and put my shirt over the butt of my IWB GLock 19. I really like dogs so I'm glad he eventually disappeared. I stayed on high alert as I went about some chores in the back barn. Uneventful, I know, but it sure seems like we're likely to encounter 4 legged threats more often than 2 legged.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Susquehanna County)

Neighbor likes Scotties.. the last one we called Obama.. it was dumb, loud, obnoxious and black. It would come to the edge of our invisible fence and drive our dog nuts, it also like to try and run out of the weeds to ambush vehicles. One morning it apparently got tired, like Firestone mud and snow from a truck coming down our road.

Now they have a white one that likes to ambush. It has chased my stepson on his 4wheeler. Ran out to attack the front wheel on my motorcycle, on my property and regularly any vehicle on the road. I have talked to the neighbor and get a shrug and "What are we supposed to do?"

I gave him fair warning. If the little shit chases anyone on my property again and I am carrying, it will be the last time. Told him to research §459-501
    I say if I am carrying as I am not allowed to carry or have any weapons where I work, and yes they do random checks.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    Neighbor likes Scotties.. the last one we called Obama.. it was dumb, loud, obnoxious and black. It would come to the edge of our invisible fence and drive our dog nuts, it also like to try and run out of the weeds to ambush vehicles. One morning it apparently got tired, like Firestone mud and snow from a truck coming down our road.

Now they have a white one that likes to ambush. It has chased my stepson on his 4wheeler. Ran out to attack the front wheel on my motorcycle, on my property and regularly any vehicle on the road. I have talked to the neighbor and get a shrug and "What are we supposed to do?"

I gave him fair warning. If the little shit chases anyone on my property again and I am carrying, it will be the last time. Told him to research §459-501
    I say if I am carrying as I am not allowed to carry or have any weapons where I work, and yes they do random checks.
    Have you considered keeping your firearm in a sealed box ready to be mailed. It is my understanding that opening sealed mail is rather illegal.

Truckers may be known to do this in order to hide their radar detectors...
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Bucks County)

State law only requires that a dog be under control, not leashed. That dog was neither.

Night fishing for trout was one of the reasons that I began carrying regularly. I was fishing the Zane Grey pool on the Delaware River once back around 2000 and a dog ran up and was barking at me from the edge of water and kept me out in the water for quite some time before he got bored and left. I picked up a .22 WMR derringer to keep in my waders on the way home that morning.
    We used to stay at a cabin on the Delaware a few miles north of there in the 70's. I'll bet it's changed a bit since then.

My wife lets our dog run with his leash on when she's walking him. He's the sweetest thing ever and very obedient, but not everyone knows that. Plus, he's huge and thinks every person and dog is as happy to say hi as he is.

She doesn't do it when people are around but it still worries me that someone might overreact to him. I kee trying to explain this to her but she is a female.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Chester County: http://www.chesco.org/1059/Rules-Regulations

Pets are permitted, except in picnic areas. They must be restrained on a leash not exceeding six (6) feet in length, except at specified areas and under special conditions established by the Park Superintendent.[Section 35]

and

http://www.fishandboat.com/Boat/Boat...okChapter6.pdf

While on Commission property, dogs must be licensed and under control. When the
    dog is on a lawn area, trail or parking lot, it must be on a leash not to exceed 6 feet in
    length.

The top one may not apply, but the bottom one definitely does. They're on PAF&BC property, dog was required to be leashed.
    Sorry. I thought you were addressing the state requirements at large and not rules specific to your location. It's a habit of mine from correcting people on hiking fora all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    We used to stay at a cabin on the Delaware a few miles north of there in the 70's. I'll bet it's changed a bit since then.

My wife lets our dog run with his leash on when she's walking him. He's the sweetest thing ever and very obedient, but not everyone knows that. Plus, he's huge and thinks every person and dog is as happy to say hi as he is.

She doesn't do it when people are around but it still worries me that someone might overreact to him. I kee trying to explain this to her but she is a female.
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVE dogs. But the dog at Zane Grey wasn't a misunderstood, friendly whelp. It was an aggresive asshole. If he would have tried to swim out after me, I had already planned to hold it under. I just had to pee and wanted to change locations and he wouldn't let me.

As far as carrying around the house vs. carrying only when I go out, the event in the OP is what cemented in my brain the need to have a gun on my body anywhere that I am able.

Why the hell else would I go in public wearing a fanny pack during hot weather? Just because I still wear cutoff jeans for shorts and socks with sandals doesn't mean that I'm clueless about fashion.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    This may sound funny but keep a high powered sprayer around for a while loaded with ammonia water. Supersoaker or something. If they come back a shot in the face will send a clear message.

Just stating this as a less lethal option.

This is what a dog warden told us years ago when I was growing up because local dogs were tearing open our rabbit hutch to get at the bunnies.

Dogs do not like ammonia water in the eyes one bit!
    Good idea, but he's not going to put that in a holster and have accessible at every moment. I'm sure wasp spray would do the job too.

I had a similar situation with a Pitbull that charged my family once, I was able to get the dog to leave without drawing but it was a nervous situation until it was over.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post

Great law to reference but is it still valid? See point (d).

§ 459-501. Killing dogs; dogs as nuisances

(a) Legal to kill certain dogs.--Any person may kill any dog which he sees in the act of pursuing or wounding or killing any domestic animal, wounding or killing other dogs, cats or household pets, or pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings, whether or not such a dog bears the license tag required by the provisions of this act. There shall be no liability on such persons in damages or otherwise for such killing.

(b) Private nuisance.--Any dog that enters any field or enclosure where domestic animals are confined, provided that the enclosure is adequate for the purpose intended, shall constitute a private nuisance, and the owner or tenant of such field, or their agent or servant, may detain such dog and turn it over to the local police authority or State dog warden or employee of the department. While so detained, the dog shall be treated in a humane manner.

(c) Licensed dogs not included.--Licensed dogs, when accompanied by their owner or handler, shall not be included under the provisions of this section unless caught in the act of pursuing, wounding or killing any domestic animal, wounding or killing any dogs, cats or household pets, or pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings.

(d) Repealed. 1990, May 31, P.L. 213, No. 46, effective in 60 days.

Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Allegheny County)

Food/treats, don't make eye contact, don't approach it, don't make sudden movements if it approaches you, if you feel threatened back away and leave, loud noises to scare it off. If you are able to get close enough, check for tags and call the owner or animal control. A dog will give you a warning before it attacks... so many options apart from shooting a likely terrified animal. Dogs are pack animals, natural followers, not aggressive by nature. I have two male pit mixes and yes they would die for me, but neither would ever approach a stranger on strange territory aggressively unless provoked and fearful. Put your guns away, gentlemen. Not every circumstance requires such extreme measures. Imagine your kids seeing you shoot a dog that essentially did nothing wrong.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast