Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Twin OSS DS's no longer shoot like twins.

Hey guys. Got twin Taurus 24/7 OSS DS's (9mm) that after purchasing, dehorning, and generally doing everything I could think of to get them to shoot straight (which they have for three years now) that no longer shoot to POA, at least one of them doesn't. The one that does not shoot straight is now printing a five and six inch groups at twenty five yds., where the other is still printing two to two and a half inches, respectively. When I put all the field strip parts from the good gun to the sour one, the sour one still does not shoot straight. I cannot find any warping of the frame rail or any excessive wear. No matter what configuration I try (barrel swap, slides, etc.), I cannot get the sour gun to shoot straight. I put the sour parts in the good gun and it still prints 2.5" groups, consistantly. What am I missing or overlooking? Is it time to ditch the frame?

Default Re: Twin OSS DS's no longer shoot like twins.

It could be time to change the ammo. I reload so I know that sometimes I have to make a load for a gun. If you shoot factory, try changing ammo brands or bullet size. It may or may not help, but it's something to try.

(Lycoming County)

It seems that you've throughly tested the mechanicals of the pistols. You've done good troubleshooting practice by exchanging parts. As silly as this sounds, is there a chance that the problem is not in the system that delivers the projectile, but in the sights? I guess that's kind of an "Is it plugged in?" question. I'm not familiar with your pistols so the sight question may be moot.
    Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat. NRA Life Member

(Lackawanna County)

I would bet that if you measure both frames you will find one has more wear than the other.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

(Centre County)

Doing what you have done with the parts swap, you have pretty much eliminated everything except the frame. I agree with redeye, strip them top the frame and take comparative measurements at different places. Pay attention to the rails.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by drose40 View Post
    It seems that you've throughly tested the mechanicals of the pistols. You've done good troubleshooting practice by exchanging parts. As silly as this sounds, is there a chance that the problem is not in the system that delivers the projectile, but in the sights? I guess that's kind of an "Is it plugged in?" question. I'm not familiar with your pistols so the sight question may be moot.
    No, each group is actually all round the POA. There is no specific hitting low left, high right, etc. Kind of looks like bird shot all around the X.

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Doing what you have done with the parts swap, you have pretty much eliminated everything except the frame. I agree with redeye, strip them top the frame and take comparative measurements at different places. Pay attention to the rails.
    Taking them to my smith on Sat. Told him the same thing I posted and he is also agreeing. I have located a tiny groove on the sour gun frame rail that is not on the other. It runs almost the length of the frame, underneath. Can't figure out why it is there as there are no burrs on the slide, unless it wore off just in time for the gun to start shooting as if my wife was shooting it.