Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Snub Nose Revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by dsh82 View Post
    Hey Buster, where in Levittown are you? I'm right up the road in Yardley.
    I've PM'ed you about this. My name is Dan also.

Quote Originally Posted by dsh82 View Post
    If you want to try some guns out, head up to classic pistol in southampton, I'm sure they have what you need and can try it. PM me if anything.
    I've was looking at there website a few days ago as there rates area lot cheaper than Ready Aim Fire. Do you know if they have an x42 and a LCR to rent there?

Quote Originally Posted by PA Traveler View Post
    [The J-frame was] Very unpleasant. Hard to imagine I'd want to shoot it enough to get / stay proficient.
    Been hearing that a lot. That's a reason I would like a crimson laser grip. The grip itself is supposed to be more comfortable than the standard one.

FCO also had the Ruger which my wife had expressed interest in. It is much softer shooting, (to me anyway) probably due to the flex inherent in the plymer frame and the Hogue Recoil Tamer grips it is supplied with. I did like the trigger, which is smooth and feels much lighter than its published weight, probably due to the cam design.
    Been hearing raves reviews after the trigger on the LCR. Can you explain what the "cam design" is and why it reduces recoil? It's also strange that the LCR feels like it has less recoil as it is lighter than the x42 j-frames by 1.5oz. (Weights taken from http://weaponsroom.com/index.asp)

Remember, snubbies have their limitations. They are intended for use at close range. (Arms length to perhaps 10 feet.) Their sights are limited and consistency at 10-15 yards will take some skill building.
    I know. This will be a purely defensive weapon and NOT a gun I would take to a fire fight. Weight is important to me. I have an SR-9 but is (IMO) too heavy to carry all the time.
    Last edited by buster2209; October 17th, 2009 at 01:02 PM.

(Montgomery County)

I can help with a couple of these:
    answers underlined...
    Quote Originally Posted by buster2209 View Post

I've was looking at there website a few days ago as there rates area lot cheaper than Ready Aim Fire. Do you know if they have an x42 and a LCR to rent there?

I did see an LCR last week when I was at Classic Pistol. Give them a ring, they are very helpful to be sure. If you give me a day or two notice you can shoot mine, plus I will bring my SP101. Both revolvers have been action tuned by John at Classic Pistol.

Been hearing that a lot. That's a reason I would like a crimson laser grip. The grip itself is supposed to be more comfortable than the standard one.

Been hearing raves reviews after the trigger on the LCR. Can you explain what the "cam design" is and why it reduces recoil? It's also strange that the LCR feels like it has less recoil as it is lighter than the x42 j-frames by 1.5oz. (Weights taken from http://weaponsroom.com/index.asp)

The cam design does not reduce recoil, it makes the trigger smooth. The cam design is a way of using a cam (geometric bearing surface, think cam shaft) to actuate the hammer and hand for ignition and timing. Really it is a fancy way of saying smoothed out trigger geometry.

The grips on the LCR make the recoil seem a bit less and there is no exposed back strap like on an x42 Smith. For my tastes I find the grip on the LCR too large for pocket carry.

I know. This will be a purely defensive weapon and NOT a gun I would take to a fire fight. Weight is important to me. I have an SR-9 but is (IMO) too heavy to carry all the time.
    With some practice one can get really good with a snubbie. They are very under rated in my opinion.
    Last edited by Steve_NEPhila; October 17th, 2009 at 05:56 PM. Reason: underlining
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Talking Re: Snub Nose Revolvers

Been carrying my LCR regular, in pocket, for a little while now. It's lightweight, easy to carry, and quite accurate at the range. Only complaint I can find anywhere is the fear of long term reliablity, in other words, it hasn't the proven track record of the Smith J frame.

I've said it before, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of the .38 + P

Oh yeah, I have my XD45 compact too, and an AR, and my 12 guage, and my .22bolt, etc. but that little ruger suits me well.

Methinks I'll get an SP101 next!

(Philadelphia County)

Classic definitely has a 442 for rent. They may also have an LCR. I'm not 100% sure but you can call and ask. It's a good range. They may require you to go with a friend who has his own firearm before they rent to you. They are pretty safety conscious.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    I can help with a couple of these:
    answers underlined...

Thanks Steve - the cam geometry, of course, has no effect on recoil. The trigger pull feels long and smooth . I have only very limited experience with the LCR - and at this stage , at best, I would call it interesting. I need to get more experience with it to tell if I really like it.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    Classic definitely has a 442 for rent. They may also have an LCR. I'm not 100% sure but you can call and ask. It's a good range. They may require you to go with a friend who has his own firearm before they rent to you. They are pretty safety conscious.
    That's good to know. I have my own firearm and am ex-army so I think I meet the grade....

(Philadelphia County)

That's good to know. I have my own firearm and am ex-army so I think I meet the grade....
    I'm sure you are as competent as they come, unfortunately because of guys like this

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/12/...ran/index.html

ranges have to be careful. If you bring your own gun then you should be fine.

(Bucks County)

I picked up an LCR this spring and I've put about 500 rounds thru it since. I'm very impressed with it. The trigger is very smooth and it shot every load I tried in it to the point of aim. I've only tried 158 grain JSP's from a couple different manufacturers though. I haven't tried any other bullet weights, so the point of impact may be different with lighter bullets. Mine locks up nice and tight and although it doesn't have the fit and finish of a Smith, it's not bad for being the first polymer framed revolver to hit the market.

I don't normally carry a snubby but I wanted it for the times when I'm just running around the block quick and don't feel like strapping on one of my glocks in a holster.

Although I have carried it several times in the pocket of a pair of cargo shorts this summer, it's just a little heavy for that for my taste. I think it would be fine in the pocket of a jacket. If the LCR was my primary carry gun I'd want a holster.

The HKS #36 speedloaders will work with it and I like dropping a couple into my pocket on the opposite side to offset the weight of the gun. I'm actually more comfortable carrying like that than I am with just the gun in my pocket on my right side. My reloads are awfully slow because I'm used to transferring the gun into my left hand and manipulating the speedloader with my right.

I try to take the LCR along when I practice with my normal carry guns. I usually put one or two boxes of ammo thru it without any problems with recoil, but I'm used to shooting much more powerful cartridges though. I can't comment on the recoil comparison to other snubbies since this is the first one I've owned and I haven't shot anything comparible side by side with it.

As long as it fits your hand and you can carry and shoot it comfortably, I think it makes a great lower price alternative to a Smith. With my limited experience with snubbies, I'd say the LCR and an S&W are definitely comparible. The trigger on the LCR is a bit different, but it's nice. It's way better than some triggers I've tried on some older Ruger revolvers. To give you a comparison, I've put about the same amount of ammo through my Ruger GP100, which I bought brand new three years ago. The trigger on my GP is nice for what it is, but the LCR's trigger blows it away completely.

Try and compare an LCR and a Smith side by side and choose the one that you like best.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    I'm sure you are as competent as they come, unfortunately because of guys like this

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/12/...ran/index.html

ranges have to be careful. If you bring your own gun then you should be fine.
    There's a dick born every minute!! I have my discharge papers, which I guess would be easy to forge. What I do have is an Iraq war medal with my name and number engraved on it. They're pretty hard to come by......

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Karys View Post
    Try and compare an LCR and a Smith side by side and choose the one that you like best.
    I thinks that's my game plan from here, I can only tell which is the best by feel and firing - it's what made up my mind to buy my SR9.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast