Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Crawford County)

Default Re: What would you do if you hit a deer?

Quote Originally Posted by hacimsaalk View Post
    To those of you who are talking about using your LTCF over dispatching a deer...what would be the reasoning behind that?

I hit a deer just this past fall. It wasn't dead so I drove to the WCO's house to see if he would come dispatch it. He basically told me to take care of it and make sure to call the GC if I was going to keep it. Regional GC director goes to my parents church, and had told them it was 100% legal to dispatch a deer AFTER hitting it. The only time hey're really going to question it or look into it is if it really looks like you just went out and poached it.

Take it for what it's worth. I live in the sticks. No way I'm calling the cops or GC. It's a dead deer after the shot if it wasn't already prior to.
    That's just it, we live in the sticks (with the same GC). The 'rules' appear to be different the farther east you go in PA. Just another reason to stay on my own side of the mountains, yeah?

In Reading or Scranton, they probably have a far more anal-retentive GC (and definitely more anal-retentive cops), so they have to be far more concerned with losing their LTCFs than we do here in the far more civilized west...
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"

(Lehigh County)

If anyone is familiar with the bridge linking NJ to Portland, PA up in Northampton county by Bangor, one time about a decade ago i was driving home on it and this deer was on the bridge. It saw me coming and panicked, and climbed up and over the concrete wall, and jumped. To its death, 2 stories below onto a road underneath. It was horrible,because it didnt die right away. I was in shock and stopped the car and ran out to look over,and the thing was on the road below, badly injured, kicking its one leg. I told the toll booth operator about it and went home. Awful

(Crawford County)

Quote Originally Posted by brsims View Post
    That's just it, we live in the sticks (with the same GC). The 'rules' appear to be different the farther east you go in PA. Just another reason to stay on my own side of the mountains, yeah?

In Reading or Scranton, they probably have a far more anal-retentive GC (and definitely more anal-retentive cops), so they have to be far more concerned with losing their LTCFs than we do here in the far more civilized west...
    I got ya. I guess I've never really thought too much about it to be quite honest...and certainly never thought it would = losing my LTCF.

ANd for the record, I am certainly 100% content with sticking to my side of the mountains...
    Male RN

(Crawford County)

Quote Originally Posted by hacimsaalk View Post
    I got ya. I guess I've never really thought too much about it to be quite honest...and certainly never thought it would = losing my LTCF.

ANd for the record, I am certainly 100% content with sticking to my side of the mountains...
    You and me both. I've spent far too much time on the East coast as a trucker. My life would be perfect if I never saw the Atlantic seaboard again....

(Montgomery County)

Call it in to the PGC, or the local PD, they will tell you what to do. Don't risk your freedoms over it, it sucks to see, but you've got to take care of #1. Some of the WCO's are pretty cool and will tell you to handle it, and back you that they did. They don't want to respond to every hit deer, they'd never sleep.

(Allegheny County)

I'd swear and yell at it a lot after calling the game commission. But I swear and yell at things a lot regardless.

(Crawford County)

I would also like to bring up the possibility that many of our members live in an area where they would have to call someone to deal with a rabid animal.

While here in Crawford County the concensus between the Humane Society, the Game Warden, the Fish and Game Commission, and eventually the local police (they called me after the fact to ensure the situation had been dealt with) was that since I had a gun "on the scene" I was more than welcome to take care of the rabid animal rather than waiting for someone else to show up.

(Allegheny County)

Sadly I would let the Game Commission handle it. I'm not risking my rights over an animal. I don't like it though.

Sadly if no response from Authorities,Let it go !

I had a friend that hit a deer in his truck he had just picked up from spending $4k on a custom paint job, he was that pissed he backed up to where the dear was and finished the dear off with the heal of his boot.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast