Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Indiana County)

Default Re: What would you do if you hit a deer?

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    I'll answer the question like this, police have to report when they discharge their firearm, I don't have to tell anyone.
    They do? Sometimes? Maybe? The reason I respond thusly is because I was at a deer strike site (say that three times fast). The deer wasn't dead, nobody on scene had any way of dispatching the seriously-wounded deer (illegal to do so, but this is out in the middle of nowhere). Anyway, a state trooper showed up (hadn't been called) on his way back to the barracks (end of shift). He checked to see if everyone involved was okay (they were), he proclaimed the damaged vehicle capable of making it home (the headlights were lighting up the roadway immediately in front of the vehicle). Someone pointed out the deer wasn't dead, yet. "Oh!" "BLAM!" "You folks have a nice night, bye." Off he sped, into the darkness (who was that masked man, we asked). I helped load the carcass into the owner's pickup. Anyway, I seriously doubt any paperwork was done over this firearms discharge, seriously.

There's city, there's suburbs, there's country, and then there's out in the middle of nowhere. Each has its own set of rules depending on the circumstances.

(Washington County)

I have a small baseball bat and a knife in both my SUVs. The only deer I ever hit got up and ran away before I could use either. I also have the wardens phone number in my wallet. I would just dispatch the deer and then call the warden.

(Franklin County)

i ATTENDED hunting license seminar with My SOL a few years ago. Here s what they say. If you hit it and kill it. You can keep it. But you have to get a permit to have it butchered. But you must call them. If you hit it and injure it. You are not to put it downeYou are to call the game commission. (their words)
    In God We Trust............................

Quote Originally Posted by ironhorse View Post
    i ATTENDED hunting license seminar with My SOL a few years ago. Here s what they say. If you hit it and kill it. You can keep it. But you have to get a permit to have it butchered. But you must call them. If you hit it and injure it. You are not to put it downeYou are to call the game commission. (their words)
    Plus, if it has a rack, its 8 or 10.00 a point if you want to keep the rack.

(Allegheny County)

Lightsaber its head off...end its suffering, then slit the belly open like it was a tantan, and hide inside until help arrives...

(Indiana County)

Dispatching a wounded deer is poaching, pure and simple. That's what the law says, and there's no getting around it.

Officially, all the authorities can tell you is to let it die on its own, call the game warden, but do nothing yourself. If the law made any exceptions, you know full well there are those out there that would exploit it to no end. So, the law says what it says.

Again, there's city, suburbs, country and boondocks. What's done unofficially is unofficial. Not to say it doesn't happen, but.....

(Erie County)

No I wasn't really going to hit him again. Thought about it, but wasn't going to]
    See rule 2.

(Crawford County)

To those of you who are talking about using your LTCF over dispatching a deer...what would be the reasoning behind that?

I hit a deer just this past fall. It wasn't dead so I drove to the WCO's house to see if he would come dispatch it. He basically told me to take care of it and make sure to call the GC if I was going to keep it. Regional GC director goes to my parents church, and had told them it was 100% legal to dispatch a deer AFTER hitting it. The only time hey're really going to question it or look into it is if it really looks like you just went out and poached it.

Take it for what it's worth. I live in the sticks. No way I'm calling the cops or GC. It's a dead deer after the shot if it wasn't already prior to.
    Male RN

(Chester County)

i think of this alot. When i was 18 and did not own a gun, i stopped because i saw a deer acting funny on the side of the road. i saw that it clearly had been hit by a car becuase its jaw was broken and hanging off its face. I felt so bad for it and there was nothing i could do. this was in 1993 when most of us didnt own a cell phone. i couldnt kill it cause i didnt have anything to do it with. Had it been today, I would have dropped it with my carry peice and just drove off before anyone could have reported a gun shot. Even if i got caught, i would proudly go to court and if the judge had a heart at all i would be let off.

(Lancaster County)

It's a shame, but, in this case "doing the right thing" is illegal.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast