Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Why I (you) haven't been shooting lately.

Real Life.

It just gets in the way of everything fun.

Instead of buying that next super awesome shiny gun, buy a couple thousand rounds of ammo.

I don't understand people. I hear guys at the range talking about the pile of guns they have and the new guns that are even better but can't shoot for shit. A box of 9mm is only about $12. State range is free with a hunting license or only like $10 or $15 with a range permit. Everyone can spare $12 a month. Go shooting!
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Life certainly does get in the way of things. The one thing I never did I was to purchase of a new gun and not get to the range within a day or so. I know I have a friend who bought a Kimber 1911 and a Glock 43 in early spring and says he hasn't had a chance to get to the range yet. That would be a problem for me if I truly couldn't get to the range. In my situation I'd wobble out of my car to shoot rounds at the backstops just to make sure they cycled.

Anyone have new purchases that they couldn't try yet? Thanks again, B
    I don't know about "couldn't try", but I have a Marlin .22 I got around Christmas time that I haven't fired yet. I keep meaning to mount the scope and take it out, but then it gets forgotten about. I currently have the scope sitting on my bench as a reminder to get it done. Otherwise I generally carve out a little time to shoot something new as soon as I get it. Carry guns especially, since I won't carry something until I've run a couple hundred rounds of different ammo through it to prove reliability.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Instead of buying that next super awesome shiny gun, buy a couple thousand rounds of ammo.

I don't understand people. I hear guys at the range talking about the pile of guns they have and the new guns that are even better but can't shoot for shit. A box of 9mm is only about $12. State range is free with a hunting license or only like $10 or $15 with a range permit. Everyone can spare $12 a month. Go shooting!
    Tons of ammo I have and I belong to multiple ranges along with a private range or two that I can go to. I just need to find another hour or two in a day in order to shoot more often. I don't think it's desire or money that keeps the majority of us younger guys from getting out. It's mostly time constraints and trying to balance hobbies with work/family obligations.

(Lackawanna County)

Work, its busy time, shoot at state range and only on Mondays(empty range). Weekends its too busy at range with some good people and your not so respectful, safe shooters.

(Wayne County)

With 2 broken arms that don't work well after my wreck, I have lots to do at rehab. Just tryin to get to the point where I can handle a rifle for my Wyoming hunt at the end of September.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    With 2 broken arms that don't work well after my wreck, I have lots to do at rehab. Just tryin to get to the point where I can handle a rifle for my Wyoming hunt at the end of September.
    Damn. When the hell did that happen? I was going to ask you for help mixing concrete.

Hope you heal up for that trip.

You know, as a forum brother, I would certainly step in and take your place although my 30-30 Is only sighted in at 100.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Lancaster County)

Bow season starting up soon has me shooting bow a lot more in the backyard and that takes away from range trips.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Philadelphia County)

I havent been shooting regularly now for two years because i cam to philly for grad school. I joined this group to give myself a little push to get back into it. I also took a huge income hit (50%) in order to pursue a degree so that hinders my shooting a bit as well.

(Allegheny County)

Interesting to read the above posts.

When I started shooting back in the mid-80s, my wife and I would be at the range 3 times each week. (We would shoot in an indoor IPSC league, we helped run and shot in an NRA action shooting league, and we would go for practice one day.)

Then I started working as a LEO. I would shoot one day at work each week and my wife and I would have a practice session each week. (She also ran a Ladies Pistol League each week). So during the 90s we were getting to the range 2x each week. In addition classes and different matches would be shot on occasions.

Then in 2002 we moved to the Pittsburgh area. We were then shooting once a week during the Defensive Pistol League that we ran, sometimes we would head out for an extra practice session – but really the league was our structured practice session. Also shot some IDPA, usually a monthly match.

Currently, we shoot 2x each month. It is on our schedule, 2nd and 4th Monday of each month. Everything else is planned around that. I get to the range another time or two with friends, but my absolute minimum is 2x a month to the range.

Just don’t see any possible way to keep my skill level were it’s at if I shoot less than that. I am hoping that either one of the two new ranges that are scheduled to open up (Keystone or INPAX) might enable me to get back to a weekly range session. Time will tell.

Headed out to the range this morning...
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast