Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pitted bore?

Default Re: pitted bore?

I was just about to ask about lapping the bore. I've never polished the bore on a rifle this way, but I know some gunsmiths do, maybe someone else has. Some gunsmiths will pour some lead and push it up and down the bore to polish it. They just run it up and down until they have polished all of the bore. Maybe someone can give some insight to this.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    Maybe someone can give some insight to this.
    Please do!
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

The hand-lapping with the lead cast of the barrel evens out the bore. It removes any irregularities and cutting marks. This is used for new match-barrels and I do not think it would be helpful on an old pitted barrel.

Fire lapping is done with special abrasive bullets. The bullet is fired, the barrel is cleaned, the next bullet, barrel cleaned and so on. It only removes about 0.0003" of material. This process is less labor intensive than hand-lapping.

For more info see http://www.davidtubb.com

Wheeler Engineering also has a kit to embed regular bullets with the abrasive. Both are available from Midwayusa.com.

(Centre County)

Actually my M1917 rifle looked worse than your rifle.

It took 5 range trips, about 30 rounds each trip to "shoot" the crap out. After extensive cleaning and copper solvent the darned thing looks new. It went from a 8MOA rifle to a 2MOA rifle. Probably can break 1MOA now with match loads...

Seriously, alot of these old rifles have so much copper/lead fowling that has fossilized on the bore they look horrible. As i said above, cleaning it really well then shooting it seems to work loose the old fowling. Its certainly not going to wear the barrel out faster than lapping it

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ronin View Post
    Actually my M1917 rifle looked worse than your rifle.

It took 5 range trips, about 30 rounds each trip to "shoot" the crap out. After extensive cleaning and copper solvent the darned thing looks new. It went from a 8MOA rifle to a 2MOA rifle. Probably can break 1MOA now with match loads...

Seriously, alot of these old rifles have so much copper/lead fowling that has fossilized on the bore they look horrible. As i said above, cleaning it really well then shooting it seems to work loose the old fowling. Its certainly not going to wear the barrel out faster than lapping it
    +1 you can go crazy trying to scrub the crap out. just go shoot it and clean it at the range when the barrel is warm.

(Centre County)

I went and shot it today. grouping was.... not bad, but not good either.
    shot about 3" group, with shortest being 1.5" at 50yds.

But The 7.7 Arisaka uses the same .311" bullets as the .303 British, and its cartridge case is similar in power to the .30-06 Springfield(7.7mm 175 gr, 2400 ft/s, 2418 ft·lbf. US M2 2,740 ft/s, 2820 ft·lb)and gun being light(Type-99 weigh just hair under 8Lbs. M1917 weigh in at just about 9.5Lbs.), and shooting off hand might have alot to do with it(I could not get gun rest today).

But I shot my type-38 with 6.5Arisaka, same postion, and shot less then 0.5" at 50yrds. So i'm not sure.
    comming week, I'll get a hold of gunrest, and do more percise shooting and see how it goes...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12