Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Traveling PA to MO...

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Gotta wonder if the "lock it in the trunk" laws were written by environ mentals trying to force people out of SUVs.
    I don't have a trunk in my Jeep Wrangler, but I believe you are allowed to keep the gun in a locked container in the back, and away from reach. Not sure of the exact language though.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness 1864 View Post
    That last bit of information is very useful. Where did you get it? I had thought that Illinois was, like MD, NY, NJ, strictly FOPA (handgun unloaded in trunk (or out of reach of passenger compartment if no trunk) and ammo cased separately, also beyond reach). I'll renew my own research on this point, but any leads would be appreciated.
    I looked it up because we keep debating whether to take the long way or short way... It certainly appears to be true that if you have LTCF you are fine even carrying as long as you stay in your car / lock the gun in the car if you leave.

430 ILS 66/1 - Firearm Conceled Carry Act

Section 40

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:

(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.

If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

(Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13; 98-600, eff. 12-6-13; 99-78, eff. 7-20-15.)

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...asp?ActID=3497
    DGAF

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    I don't have a trunk in my Jeep Wrangler, but I believe you are allowed to keep the gun in a locked container in the back, and away from reach. Not sure of the exact language though.
    See my post right above this. "Locked container" counts.
    DGAF

(York County)

FWIW, since I looked it up anyway might as well share the status on possible states on our routes:

WV - Reciprocity. https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uplo...-Agreement.pdf

KY - Reciprocity. https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uplo..._Agreement.pdf

OH:

Title 1 Sec. 109.69 (B)(3)

If, on or after the effective date of this amendment, a person who is not a resident of this state has a valid concealed handgun license that was issued by another license-issuing state, regardless of whether the other license-issuing state has entered into a reciprocity agreement with the attorney general under division (A)(1) of this section, and the person is temporarily in this state, during the time that the person is temporarily in this state the license issued by the other license-issuing state shall be recognized in this state, shall be accepted and valid in this state, and grants the person the same right to carry a concealed handgun in this state as a person who was issued a concealed handgun license under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/109.69

IN:

IC 35-47-2-21
    Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry
    handguns issued by other states
    Sec. 21.
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign
    countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only
    while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

https://iga.in.gov/static-documents/...5_AR47_ch2.pdf

IL

430 ILS 66/1 - Firearm Conceled Carry Act

Section 40

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:

(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.

If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

(Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13; 98-600, eff. 12-6-13; 99-78, eff. 7-20-15.)

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...asp?ActID=3497

We'll be taking printouts of all this with us "just in case". Right now the plans seem to be the 'scenic route' there and the 'fast route' home when we'll probably just wanna get back.
    Last edited by KCJones; February 26th, 2017 at 12:13 PM. Reason: format
    DGAF

(Bucks County)

Laws forcing one to remain in the car works out very well for drive-bys.

(Delaware County)

I hope the trip is made before this zealot Attorney General Shapiro starts "adjusting" reciprocity agreements. Relative to his campaign promises, I am waiting for that shoe to drop.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by c45man View Post
    I hope the trip is made before this zealot Attorney General Shapiro starts "adjusting" reciprocity agreements. Relative to his campaign promises, I am waiting for that shoe to drop.
    Yeah, a shame he got elected. My biggest WTF? of this last election.

Trip is coming in a couple weeks. I doubt he'd be able to implement changes that fast anyway.

Didn't bother looking into WV and KY laws since they have reciprocity, but if even IL honors out of state permits (in a limited in-your-car-only), I'd not be surprised if those two far-less-anti states also do/would.
    DGAF

(Pike County)

I go to AZ a few times each year. Been pulled over in IL. for no license plate light (bulb blew). Had my firearm in the console, no issue's. When crossing into IL take your firearm out of your holster and put it into the console or glove box. If you tell them it's on you physically, they are known for asking you to step out of your vehicle and then they got you.
    The firearm is not allowed to be on you outside the vehicle. Your only protected if it stays inside the vehicle...

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by BF750 View Post
    I go to AZ a few times each year. Been pulled over in IL. for no license plate light (bulb blew). Had my firearm in the console, no issue's. When crossing into IL take your firearm out of your holster and put it into the console or glove box. If you tell them it's on you physically, they are known for asking you to step out of your vehicle and then they got you.
    The firearm is not allowed to be on you outside the vehicle. Your only protected if it stays inside the vehicle...
    Yeah. There's an 'instruction' to the IL state police (you can find online) which says those in this situation may step out of the car for purposes of putting it in the trunk or similar, and some other documentation of that notion of a 'bubble' of safety a short distance around your car.

But it's all quasi-official stuff and I don't see anything about that in the actual statute... Note it even says "If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act."... Not even 'trunk' which might imply the ability to get the gun into the trunk (by leaving the car). But they don't say trunk. I'm with you: I wouldn't risk it.

DGAF

(Allegheny County)

Last time I made that trip, was last March, on my scooter. I carried the whole way, except Illinois. Just before entering and just after exiting, I pulled over and processed my weapon as needed.

I was also careful not to exceed the speed limit in Illinois. The rest of the time I was doing 90, whenever road conditions permitted (;

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast