Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Re: How "unsafe" is (Bryco) Jennings?

Quote Originally Posted by imperialism2024 View Post
    I think the OP's reason for starting this thread was to get some first-hand or second-hand experience regarding the safety of these guns, not just an "I heard on the interwebs that someone's friend of a friend has a catastrophic malfunction." Also, I believe he was hoping to hear from people who had had positive experiences, as few people complain about how safe and reliable their guns are...

For me, the case would be sealed with the fact that one can't safely carry with a loaded chamber. To me, a gun without a loaded chamber is a paperweight... but others are comfortable carrying with an empty chamber.
    On the rare occasion that I do carry one of my J-22s as a BUG I do carry with one in the pipe. I wouldn't carry any gun with an empty chamber. I also leave one one in the pipe when they are at home.
    I've never had a problem with them firing accidentally, my occasional problem was getting them to fire reliably when they should.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by imperialism2024 View Post
    I think the OP's reason for starting this thread was to get some first-hand or second-hand experience regarding the safety of these guns, not just an "I heard on the interwebs that someone's friend of a friend has a catastrophic malfunction." Also, I believe he was hoping to hear from people who had had positive experiences, as few people complain about how safe and reliable their guns are....
    I've re-read this entire thread, and couldn't find any responses even CLOSE to "I heard on the interwebs that someone's friend of a friend has a catastrophic malfunction." , and since you responded with my quote, you must be referring to me. Never said anything near that, so I'm not sure you know what you're talking about.
    He did hear some positive experiences, but only replied to the negatives, dismissing them. So my evaluation of the situation IS correct. I'll complain up a storm my S&W's, Springfield and Ruger are safe and reliable. I brag often on these boards how good they are.

I can't say much about the particulars of the science behind these guns but I can say my old Raven .25 has been sitting at the bottom of the Everglades once I got sick and tired to the jams, FTF, FTE and the accuracy of a toaster. Got pissed and tossed it in the swamp....and never have regreted it one bit.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    remember that thread about the girl here in PA that the slide came off of and busted her in the face? It was on the news with her telling everyone to not shoot these guns. What model was that?

you know............

and then she signed up on the forum
    See my first post on this thread. It was a Talon 9mm. I thought at one point Talon, Jennings and a few others all came from Davis, but now I can't find where Talon is the same mfg.
    Last edited by str8shooter; December 23rd, 2008 at 07:03 PM.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Wanna buy a J-22??

For the right price, I totally would.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    remember that thread about the girl here in PA that the slide came off of and busted her in the face? It was on the news with her telling everyone to not shoot these guns. What model was that?

you know............

and then she signed up on the forum
    Yeah, I know

P-11firstinfractionSHOOTER

(Butler County)

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/18...enez-arms.html

The last post on this thread shows the Davis .380 I owned. The slide cracked from just the pressure of the recoil spring on the shitty metal.

This is not a "I heard it on the interweb somewhere" story, but a first hand example of just how cheap these guns are made. Luckily the trigger broke first so it wasn't able to blow up in my face.

(Northampton County)

Two of my friends have had incidents with these guns. Friend A experienced a jam. As he attempted to clear the jam, the bullet fired, uncontrolled, into the floor. No one was injured. (This is a guy who had military firearms training...)

Friend B had the gun blow up on him. It was in pieces in his hand.

Why anyone would buy these when they can buy a used makarov is beyond comprehension.

(Butler County)

I went to a gun show with my mom and when she showed me the "pretty chrome gun" she was looking at I could not believe it. This guy had a whole case of those things.

I told her "don't shoot it, don't touch it, for god's sake don't even look at it."

I'm no gun snob. I like Kel-tecs. But these things are garbage.

I still have my cracked .380. I'm waiting for a gun buy-back so I can gets me 200 bucks worth of vittles.

(Northumberland County)

I've had a 9mm jennings for about a month now and it works as it should. Fires every time with no jams. Only went thru a dozen or so clips of ammo. It was used and I'm sure had much more then that thru it already. I have a friend that has had a 380 since graduating college in the 80's and loves it. Shoots it regularly with no problems.
    I may be wrong but I heard that firearms had to do a 5 foot drop test to avoid firing if dropped. They had to pass this test to be saleable in the US. I believe the jennings is manufactured in Irvine,California, it least mine is listed as.
    Any brand of pistol can have a defect. My colt goldcup 45 had a front sight that was loose enough to fall off from the factory. This gun was many time more expensive then my jennings. Never had one blowup but don't want to either.
    I believe a good many problems are from ignorance like loading a 9mm in a 380. Not cleaning, using hot ammo like P+ or not inspecting for frame cracks or a mllion other issues that coulds occur in any brand.

Sid

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast