Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: can a felon hunt with a black powder rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
    The guy I am referring to was involved with theft. No violence or PFAs were involved. He was placed on probation and told he could not possess firearms but now that he is off probation it sounds like he would be able to again.
    Its possible so long as the offense isn't one of the enumerated prohibiting offenses in the UFA under § 6105, the max sentence was 2 years or less that could have been levied, or wasn't a felony.

Any M1 conviction or higher will prohibit him from the git-go because the max sentence exceeds 2 years.

We'd really need to know the actual offense he was convicted of and the level of crime(IE: M3, M2, M1, F3, etc).

If he is prohibited from owning or possessing normal guns, he is also prohibited from possessing a muzzleloader.

(Allegheny County)

The only details I have is that it was a M3 for stealing gas. He plead quilty and was sentenced to probation. His probation period is now over. Thanks
    The Lord Bless You

You have gotten the advice, and the verdict appears to be that it is not legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    Well in my book felon= shouldn't ever be allowed to own any kind of gun, period! Just my .03c.
    I think a distinction between violent felonies, and non-violent felonies is needed. Although, what you have just said is already the case as far as to what is illegal. It is like saying that it should be illegal to run a red light. It already is.

For example, Larry Mente is now a convicted felon. No matter what you might think of his actions, I think most can agree that he is no serious threat to your or my physical well-being. Yet, he is barred from owning firearms.

http://www.kyw1060.com/Sentencing-Da...Mendte/3374038
    Last edited by Mosinshooter762; November 25th, 2008 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosinshooter762 View Post
    I think a distinction between violent felonies, and non-violent felonies is needed. Although, what you have just said is already the case as far as to what is illegal. It is like saying that it should be illegal to run a red light. It already is.

For example, Larry Mente is now a convicted felon. No matter what you might think of his actions, I think most can agree that he is no serious threat to your or my physical well-being. Yet, he is barred from owning firearms.

What we should have is a system where the dangerous people are locked up, and the non-dangerous people roam free after they receive punishment. The idea that a murderer can be released after sitting in prison for 10 years is absurd. Someone who beats his wife to death with his fists is not gong to be deterred by PICS keeping him from lawfully purchasing a firearm, and we are not safe just because he's not packing a handgun. A violent felon is a danger to your grandmother even if he's handcuffed and blindfolded. Women and the elderly and children can usually be hurt or killed by any reasonably fit male, with or without a gun. So, once anyone proves that he has unlawful violent tendencies, he should be permanently removed from decent society until he can prove that he's reformed, if ever. And I would include teenagers who grab pocketbooks from elderly women.

One of the sob stories regarding the "Three Strikes" laws is the injustice of sending a man to jail for life because he stole a slice of pizza from a child. Well, I'm OK with that. He did time for two prior offenses, and it was still not safe to stand near him on a public sidewalk while holding something that he wanted. He was still willing to take something just because he was strong enough to take it, even after being caught and convicted twice before. he proved that he was not willing to conform his behavior to the rules, and that he did not respect the rights of others. The role of government is to take him out of society by any means necessary, for the protection of the rest of us who obey most of the laws.

I'd lock up the violent offenders, and I'd restrict the rights of the irresponsible. Someone with multiple DUI's may not be violent, but he's dangerous, and frankly I'd be OK with him not being allowed to own guns. He's already dangerous enough with a set of car keys.

A lot of crimes are not indicative of dangerousness. But even many of those show a disregard for others. Someone who repeatedly scams the elderly, for example; should we allow him to decide when lethal force is necessary to protect himself, when he's already proven that he's willing to take the life savings of a trusting octogenarian?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
    The only details I have is that it was a M3 for stealing gas. He plead quilty and was sentenced to probation. His probation period is now over. Thanks
    With that he should be ok as far as I can tell.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    Well in my book felon= shouldn't ever be allowed to own any kind of gun, period! Just my .03c.
    I'm not gonna BS ya here, i put a NEGATIVE rep on ya for that one, there are a multitude of eh hem..."crimes".... that prohibit a person from owning/possesing firearms, and your attitude that they should NEVER be allowed to again after their sentence is served is just bullshit, this has been argued plenty of times and my stance on this is pretty well stated in those posts.........

Please Note: The poster was issued a warning for this post.

YES YOU CAN OWN, AND HUNT WITH A BLACKPOWDER GUN IF YOU ARE A FELON !!!!!!!
    But first you must research which ones you can use.
    Then you have to file a paper with the court, go in front of a judge, and get a paper, that you must have every where this gun goes

Quote Originally Posted by Saltlife View Post
    Then you have to file a paper with the court, go in front of a judge, and get a paper, that you must have every where this gun goes
    In Pa if you are a prohibited person you cannot legally own or possess any firearm including black powder.

A “firearm” in Pa is defined as:

(c) Definitions.-As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
    "Firearm." Any weapon which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive, or the frame or receiver of any such weapon.
    Last edited by God's Country; January 15th, 2011 at 01:16 PM.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Jefferson County)

Not in PA.. Any type of gun, receiver, or ammo is prohibited from being possessed, owned, carried, touched, or whatever by a felon, or other persons that fall under 18.61.6105.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

There has to be a special awards category for this, an out-of-state user who revives a thread in a Pennsylvania-specific forum from 2+ years ago for his first post, then gets the law entirely wrong.

On the positive side, there's really nowhere to go from here but up. In a way, I'm envious.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast