Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Paranoia About Transporting Through Liberal Anti Gun States

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Why do you carry a gun? What do you have to be paranoid about?

We don't carry firearms for the likelihood of a problem. We plan ahead for the consequences if we don't.
    I am confused where you are going with this.

I carry when I am legally able to, in order to be prepared for a violent encounter that threatens my life.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    Does FOPA have limitations?
    In some states, FOPA is a (recognizable?) defense, so one would have to be arrested first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    I do the journey back to the land of no freedom almost ever weekend.

Follow FOPA as much as possible; gun locked, in a locked case, in the trunk. And usually stashed in a backpack as to avoid any immediate red flags.

Biggest thing, get over the paranoia. If you drive the speed limit and give no reason to be pulled over, you won't. (On average) If you do get pulled over, give the officer no reason to search your car, and if they as, remember your rights against searches without warrant.

In the end of the day, if you follow the law as correctly as you can, what do you have to be paranoid about? (very statist I know)
    Why do you carry a gun? What do you have to be paranoid about?

We don't carry firearms for the likelihood of a problem. We plan ahead for the consequences if we don't.
    I am confused where you are going with this.

I carry when I am legally able to, in order to be prepared for a violent encounter that threatens my life.
    Where I am going?

You suggest in the top quote that those of us who are concerned about the negative actions of the police towards FOPA-covered citizens (which are numerous and well documented) are being paranoid, specifically "if you follow the law as correctly as you can, what do you have to be paranoid about?"

But the same argument used by those of us who are concerned about the negative actions of bad guys towards law-abiding citizens (which are numerous and well documented) are not being paranoid when we carry our firearms, specifically "I carry when I am legally able to, in order to be prepared for a violent encounter that threatens my life."

Either we're all paranoid, or we're all not.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    There was a case several years ago in NJ, where a guy was flying with his gun in luggage and he had to do a plane change in NJ.
    When he landed in NJ to change planes, there was a problem and his connecting flight was cancelled.
    He was stranded overnight in NJ with his luggage and told to stay in a hotel until his rescheduled flight the next day.
    He took his luggage and his properly transported gun to the hotel as instructed.
    When he returned to the airport the next day for his rescheduled flight, he was arrested for illegal possession of a firearm in NJ.
    The judge said that he understood the guy did not plan to violate NJ firearm law, but that he had no choice and must uphold the charges against the traveler.
    There was no provision in the NJ gun law to allow for a stranded traveler to leave the airport and go to a hotel with a firearm.
    This was several years ago, I do not know the final outcome of the case.
    As of September, 2013, the 3rd Circuit held (unanimously) in a precidential decision that FOPA only protected people traveling by “vehicle,” including car, train and plane, and does not apply when a person walks through an airport terminal to his flight.

So you are covered *on* the plane, you just can't get *to* the plane...

(Lancaster County)

Where I am going?

You suggest in the top quote that those of us who are concerned about the negative actions of the police towards FOPA-covered citizens (which are numerous and well documented) are being paranoid, specifically "if you follow the law as correctly as you can, what do you have to be paranoid about?"

But the same argument used by those of us who are concerned about the negative actions of bad guys towards law-abiding citizens (which are numerous and well documented) are not being paranoid when we carry our firearms, specifically "I carry when I am legally able to, in order to be prepared for a violent encounter that threatens my life."

Either we're all paranoid, or we're all not.
    Gotcha, yea, guess I missed the duality there.

Sadly, I am more paranoid of getting caught up in the dragnet of NJ law than a violent encounter with a criminal.

I was trying to get at the idea of almost sticking your head in the sand to avoid being paranoid. Follow the law and outside of that, life is not in your control, so why worry over things you can't control?

(its Monday so pardon if that makes no sense)

(Montgomery County)

As of September, 2013, the 3rd Circuit held (unanimously) in a precidential decision that FOPA only protected people traveling by “vehicle,” including car, train and plane, and does not apply when a person walks through an airport terminal to his flight.

Sounds perfectly sensible...
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Wyoming County)

And to think we gave up machine guns for that
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Monroe County)

I do the journey back to the land of no freedom almost ever weekend.

Follow FOPA as much as possible; gun locked, in a locked case, in the trunk. And usually stashed in a backpack as to avoid any immediate red flags.

Biggest thing, get over the paranoia. If you drive the speed limit and give no reason to be pulled over, you won't. (On average) If you do get pulled over, give the officer no reason to search your car, and if they as, remember your rights against searches without warrant.

In the end of the day, if you follow the law as correctly as you can, what do you have to be paranoid about? (very statist I know)
    So as long as your driving nice the other felony is no biggie? If your going to NY/NJ and staying there FOPA does not cover you.

You are the reason that I have ZERO sympathy for people busted like that when you are found out.
    Airline guy was one thing, but you are KNOWINGLY breaking the law. Like the law or not.
    So what other gun laws are you breaking because you don't agree with them but aren't worried about it or not paranoid about?

As an FFL I don't really have the luxury of this.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    So as long as your driving nice the other felony is no biggie? If your going to NY/NJ and staying there FOPA does not cover you.

You are the reason that I have ZERO sympathy for people busted like that when you are found out.
    Airline guy was one thing, but you are KNOWINGLY breaking the law. Like the law or not.
    So what other gun laws are you breaking because you don't agree with them but aren't worried about it or not paranoid about?

As an FFL I don't really have the luxury of this.
    When I bring a firearm I go to the shooting club I am a member of and make use of the time in PA at the range.

Not sure how that is breaking the law.

To clarify, I am a NJ prisoner. I have a FID card and travel with pistol to and from an exempt place. That is all I was getting at. I was not saying break laws.
    Last edited by lts1ow; February 12th, 2018 at 06:04 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I wasn't paranoid until I read this thread.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast