Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Finishing a polymer80 Spectre (pistol) lower in PA as a non-resident

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDigz View Post
    Yes, you need a permit to buy a gun.....*IN* New Jersey.

If you legally acquire a gun outside of NJ, and it is legal in NJ, you can bring it into NJ and not break any NJ laws, and no registration is required.

For example - NJ considers BB guns the same as firearms, and considers BB pistols to be handguns. To buy a BB pistol in NJ would require a pistol permit.

However, I can go to Cabela's in PA, buy a BB pistol across the counter in PA, and then bring it into NJ (following NJ transport law) and I now have a legal handgun in NJ, acquired legally outside of NJ, brought into NJ legally, and did not require a purchase permit.

Again - people move to NJ with handguns they acquired elsewhere - when they bring them into NJ, they do *NOT* have to get permits or register them in NJ.

One more time - please, focus on PA law. Is it legal for a non-PA resident to manufacture a firearm while visiting PA?

It's possible to buy a polymer80 with a serial number engraved in it from the retailer.

People move to NJ with guns, NOT People live in NJ can buy and bring handguns into NJ.

They also have to be legal to own in NJ. So if they are not you can't have them in NJ.
    http://www.njsp.org/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml
    Last edited by :-); May 21st, 2018 at 08:14 PM.

Default Re: Finishing a polymer80 Spectre (pistol) lower in PA as a non-resident

But I'm not buying hand gun out of state.

I'm transporting a non-firearm into PA. Once in PA, it becomes a firearm. Then I transport it legally back out.

Do you as a PA resident have to go through an FFL if you finish an 80% lower?
    NO
    Last edited by :-); May 22nd, 2018 at 12:39 AM.

The main thing is you are making a new handgun and you have to follow ALL NJ and federal laws.
    Why not just call and ask the NJ State Police and NJ ATF field office, what is required for you to make and own a completed 80% firearm in NJ?
    Ask them all the questions you asked here.
    Last edited by :-); May 21st, 2018 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by :-) View Post
    People move to NJ with guns, NOT People live in NJ can buy and bring handguns into NJ.
    But the example I gave with the BB pistol is doing that exactly that.

Acquire a BB Pistol in PA. Legal.

Bring it into NJ. Legal (as long as transported according to NJ law for handguns). Once it is in NJ, it becomes (under NJ law) a handgun.

No laws broken, no NJ handgun permit required (not purchased in NJ).

Quote Originally Posted by :-) View Post
    The main thing is you are making a new handgun and you have to follow ALL NJ and federal laws.
    Federal law, sure. Follow NJ law while in PA? No, I don't think it works that way...

Why not just call and ask the NJ State Police and NJ ATF field office, what is required for you to make and own a completed 80% firearm in NJ?
    Ask them all the questions you asked here.
    Because the NJSP is not going to offer an opinion on firearm manufacture performed in PA?

(Bucks County)

From what I'm reading it appears to me the OP has decided he has a loophole to do what he's asking about (for whatever reasons) and is looking for someone here to justify his thinking. Whether it is a 'valid' loophole or not, unless someone knows of specific case law and is willing to defend that opinion in court it doesn't matter what anyone 'thinks'. What matters is what happens when/if it becomes known to law enforcement (of some nature by way of some circumstance) and at that point it will play out in the courts. It would be irresponsible to use advice given on the internet that could influence your livelihood. If you truly wanted a 'legal' opinion you would hire a lawyer familiar with the subject, pay them for their research and get their opinion... which btw will still be an opinion but at least it will be an informed opinion, assuming anything is found at all. If after review the issue isn't addressed anywhere in current law then I would assume OP would become the test case and we all get to see how it plays out. This is yet another opinion based on no knowledge of any of this, just what seems likely to me.

So in direct answer to your specific question, I personally have never seen that particular question addressed before. Doesn't mean it hasn't, doesn't mean you can't. I also suspect this thread will continue as others voice their opinion, but if you're serious about an answer, as the mantra around here goes, you should contact a lawyer

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."- The Papers of Ben Franklin

Contacting a lawyer before is a lot easier then contacting one after you do something stupid.

I still say you can't do it...

IANAL
    Last edited by :-); May 22nd, 2018 at 12:49 AM.

But I'm not buying hand gun out of state.

I'm transporting a non-firearm into PA. Once in PA, it becomes a firearm. Then I transport it legally back out.

Do you as a PA resident have to go through an FFL if you finish an 80% lower?

IANAL----- IMO making it isn't a problem. It is transporting it across the Maginot line A.K.A. the Delaware river. You are tap dancing on a landmine. Don't do it without written consent from your Lawyer, and all the alphabet agency's that would smash you like a bug!

via Imgflip Meme Generator
    Last edited by Daycrawler; May 22nd, 2018 at 12:05 AM.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Allegheny County)

As a supporter of legal gun purchases that the government has no record of, I fully support the gentleman's efforts if it can be done legally.
    If not, then that's a whole different ball game.

I wish I had the answers.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

The answer is no (imo).
    N.J. RESIDENTS are prohibited from acquiring pistols without a N.J. permit to purchase pistols ( see N.J.S.A. 2C58-3).
    You are not MOVING to N.J., you are already a resident and therefore subject to N.J. statute.

Furthermore, it would not be legal for a N.J. resident to purchase a black powder pistol or bbgun at Cabella's in Pa. and transport it back to N.J.
    The reason is, the FFL is not permitted to make a sale which he knows would be illegal in the state of residence of the purchaser.
    You can rest assured that Cabella's is well aware that bbguns and b.p. firearms are considered firearms in N.J.

Go to Cabella's and announce that you are a N.J. resident and want a b.p.revolver- watch how fast you are denied the purchase.
    You could buy a long gun from Cabella's, provided you fill out a 4473 and a N.J. certificate eligibility, but not a handgun.

I do cross border sales of long guns for N.J. residents and compliance work on a pretty regular basis.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast