Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Getting a non residents PA LTCF

Hey guys it's been a while, but had to stop back over here to try and get some knowledge bombs.

So I'm trying to clear some stuff up over on the New York forum (yes sadly I haven't been able to move yet and still am a new yorker) one of our threads is about nonresident licenses and how to get them, the topic of PA came up, and it looks like many PA counties are telling people that they will not issue nonresident licenses to anyone.

So I remember back when I frequented this site on a regular basis seeing people talk about how that is actually against state law. Am I remembering this correctly? And if so any other links to back this up other than http://www.psp.pa.gov/firearms-infor...nsylvania.aspx

Thanks

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Getting a non residents PA LTCF

It is not against state law as long as you have a concealed carry permit from your home state. If you don't have one your S.O.L. Non resident permits from another state don't count. It's true most sheriffs won't issue anyway. What counties will issue changes if they elect a new sheriff.
    USNRET '61-'81

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    It is not against state law as long as you have a concealed carry permit from your home state. If you don't have one your S.O.L. Non resident permits from another state don't count. It's true most sheriffs won't issue anyway. What counties will issue changes if they elect a new sheriff.
    No what I'm getting at is that by law the sherrif cant actually decide to NOT issue nonresident licenses

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by sgreen10 View Post
    No what I'm getting at is that by law the sherrif cant actually decide to NOT issue nonresident licenses
    Yes, it is against the law. MOST of what the government does is against the law. What are you going to do about it? It's not as if they don't KNOW it is against the law and are going to change their policy if you bring it to their attention.

At the end of the day - you just need to go to a county that DOES issue to non-residents. I got mine from Centre County, and it was pretty easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Yes, it is against the law. MOST of what the government does is against the law. What are you going to do about it? It's not as if they don't KNOW it is against the law and are going to change their policy if you bring it to their attention.

At the end of the day - you just need to go to a county that DOES issue to non-residents. I got mine from Centre County, and it was pretty easy to do.
    I already have mine as well, but if I didn't and the closest one to me was a noncompliant county...
    step 1 print off application
    Step 2 print off state law
    Step 3 hand it in
    If they say they dont accept it I will point out the law and they have 2 options, approve it between them and the 45 days allowed by state law, or deny it with in those 45 days, if they deny it I would be interested in what they reason for denying the application is, because they must provide that and then follow up with the appeals process

(Allegheny County)

If they say they dont accept it I will point out the law and they have 2 options, approve it between them and the 45 days allowed by state law, or deny it with in those 45 days, if they deny it I would be interested in what they reason for denying the application is, because they must provide that and then follow up with the appeals process
    Or they refuse to accept it, say "fuck you, sue me - get the hell out of my office."

At least one sheriff advertises right on his website that he doesn't comply with the law, in at least 3 ways. Will not even ACCEPT your application to deny if you:

• Have ANY open case - regardless of how trivial - even parking tickets
    • Have any open balance due on any CLOSED case, even so much as a penny
    • Are applying for a non-resident LTCF

Do you think that office is going to quake in its boots if you hand them a copy of the law and warn them that it better accept your application?

Sure they can. They do it all the time.

Whether their decision complies with the law is an entirely different matter.
    Last edited by free; April 11th, 2018 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Or they refuse to accept it, say "fuck you, sue me - get the hell out of my office."

At least one sheriff advertises right on his website that he doesn't comply with the law, in at least 3 ways. Will not even ACCEPT your application to deny if you:

• Have ANY open case - regardless of how trivial - even parking tickets
    • Have any open balance due on any CLOSED case, even so much as a penny
    • Are applying for a non-resident LTCF

Do you think that office is going to quake in its boots if you hand them a copy of the law and warn them that it better accept your application?

Sure they can. They do it all the time.

Whether their decision complies with the law is an entirely different matter.

which county is that, i am due to renew my LTCF at the end of 2019

(Allegheny County)

which county is that, i am due to renew my LTCF at the end of 2019
    http://www.sheriffalleghenycounty.com/firearms.html

word thanks, figured since my sheriff here in NY got Bradford county to start issuing them again, i might as well try and do some good when mine needs to be renewed

many PA counties are telling people that they will not issue nonresident licenses to anyone.

So I remember back when I frequented this site on a regular basis seeing people talk about how that is actually against state law. Am I remembering this correctly?
    Yes, that is against the law. The sheriffs are knowingly acting unlawfully. Sheriff Lance Benedict (Susquehanna County) stated that right to my face.

You may recall that I tried to do something about this - I informed Sheriff Benedict that I would be taking him to court over his "constructive denial" (a term that in this case is referring to the fact that by refusing to accept my application, he was in effect denying me an LTCF). He said that was fine... but two weeks later, he'd shifted his position juuuuuuust enough to remove my standing (he started issuing to residents of my county).

Nothing has changed, and my offer to fund a qualified candidate still stands. Here's a link to the complete thread over on NYF.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast