Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Northampton County Courthouse

I went to the Northampton County Courthouse today to get a LTCF application for my wife as she thinks she may want to start carrying in the near future. I was out and about running errands and had my 9-month old daughter with me. I walk in the entrance pushing the stroller and walk right up to the security checkpoint because there was no one there at all and right away say to the officer "How you doing today, I need to check my firearm before I go through the metal detector." And here is how it went from there:

Officer1- "What?"
    Me-"I need to check my firearm."
    O1-"Your what?"
    Me-"My firearm, my pistol, I have a pistol on me I need to check."
    O1-"Are you a cop?"
    Me-"No, sir, I am not a cop."
    O2-"Why would you bring that in here? What are you thinking?"
    Me-"Well I have some business to conduct and lockers are supposed to be provided for those asking to check a firearm."
    O2-"Yeah those lockers are for Law Enforcement and Officials."
    O1-"Go put it in your car, we'll wait here for you."
    Me-"I will not put it in my car. I can't believe you would even suggest that."
    O2-"Well you will need to put it in your car if you want to do business here today."
    O1-"We'll wait for you."
    Me-"I hope you have a lot of time to wait because I won't be putting my gun in the car to take care of my business today. Have a nice day."

And I left.

Default Re: Northampton County Courthouse

You could have demanded to see the sheriff and ask why he is not following the law

(York County)

You sure showed them.... not.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Centre County)

If I were you, the next time I go over there I'd print out a reference pamphlet from pafoa and point this out to the sheriff:

18 Pa.C.S. § 913: Possession of firearm or other dangerous weapon in court facility

(d) Posting of notice.--Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each courthouse or other building containing a court facility and each court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a)(1) with respect to a court facility if the notice was not so posted at each public entrance to the courthouse or other building containing a court facility and at the court facility unless the person had actual notice of the provisions of subsection (a).
    (e) Facilities for checking firearms or other dangerous weapons.--Each county shall make available at or within the building containing a court facility by July 1, 2002, lockers or similar facilities at no charge or cost for the temporary checking of firearms by persons carrying firearms under section 6106(b) or 6109 or for the checking of other dangerous weapons that are not otherwise prohibited by law. Any individual checking a firearm, dangerous weapon or an item deemed to be a dangerous weapon at a court facility must be issued a receipt. Notice of the location of the facility shall be posted as required under subsection (d).

(Northampton County)

Sigh... why is following the law so difficult for LEOs of all people?

If it's the guy I'm thinking of, he's an old PITA. I went there to do the same and left it in the car but had my holster still on cause it was a pain to remove it and he hassled me about it and made me remove it to go through the metal detector. He just has his own agenda and needs to be taught the right way of doing things cause he's not nice about "asking" either.

(Bucks County)

If that was me, I would print a copy of the law hand it to the officer, then ask to see the sherrif and then file a grievance against both officers.

(Northampton County)

““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by A Shogun Named Jason View Post
    I went to the Northampton County Courthouse today to get a LTCF application for my wife as she thinks she may want to start carrying in the near future. I was out and about running errands and had my 9-month old daughter with me. I walk in the entrance pushing the stroller and walk right up to the security checkpoint because there was no one there at all and right away say to the officer "How you doing today, I need to check my firearm before I go through the metal detector." And here is how it went from there:
    O
    Officer1- "What?"
    Me-"I need to check my firearm."
    O1-"Your what?"
    Me-"My firearm, my pistol, I have a pistol on me I need to check."
    O1-"Are you a cop?"
    Me-"No, sir, I am not a cop."
    O2-"Why would you bring that in here? What are you thinking?"
    Me-"Well I have some business to conduct and lockers are supposed to be provided for those asking to check a firearm."
    O2-"Yeah those lockers are for Law Enforcement and Officials."
    O1-"Go put it in your car, we'll wait here for you."
    Me-"I will not put it in my car. I can't believe you would even suggest that."
    O2-"Well you will need to put it in your car if you want to do business here today."
    O1-"We'll wait for you."
    Me-"I hope you have a lot of time to wait because I won't be putting my gun in the car to take care of my business today. Have a nice day."

And I left.
    I've been in there and asked for a locker without that much lip from the deputy. The lockers are to the right of the security checkpoint, in the control room. I posted a thread about it here a couple of years ago.

The deputy needs training.

In this instance though, he trained harder than you did. You should have asked for a supervisor/sergeant.

When I went there, I knew the law and was prepared to assert my rights.
    So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause.

Well first day to buy a doe license over the counter.

Went to the Northampton Courthouse OC. Went in and advised the Deputy (old guy) that I needed to check my firearm. It was 1603. He asked if I was LEO, and then advised me that they are only open until 1630. I would have to wait outside until someone else came up. Went outside 1605. I was watching as I thought I would have to go and complain.

Waited outside for a few minutes (1608) until someone arrived. They brought a case outside where we put my holstered firearm and spare magazine. Went through the checkpoint and in back to lock the firearm up.

A receipt was written up and copy provided as well as the key to the storage locker. The additional man waited the five minutes until I returned as not to delay me further. We then reversed the procedure. As I was leaving I mentioned I was going to call a supervisor to discuss how things went. It wound up I was dealing with Sgt Mark Keels.

As we were returning my firearm outside, I talked with Sgt Keels. I mentioned that I had expected not to be able to get my doe license due to hassles and that I had brought a copy of the PA Law as backup. He was suprised as i mentioned some of the horror stories that have been posted.

I would mention that at all times Sgt Keels was professional, customer oriented and had no issues with carry.

I steered him to PAFOA.ORG to read about some experiences. He was very interested and I am expecting some good things to come down the pike.

BZ to Sgt Keels.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast