Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .30-30 lever

(Adams County)

Default .30-30 lever

I'm thinking of putting a .30-30 lever gun on my list. I don't hunt, just want to get out a little farther. I know Winchester went out, but I'll be looking for used. So whaddaya think? Winchester 94, Marlin 336 or a new Mossberg 464 in the same price range?

Keith
    PAFOA PROUD!
    USMV M/C

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: .30-30 lever

When it comes to levers I'm a Marlin kinda guy. You can scope them easily, they've been around forever and there are 3 or 4 in the family. One Marlin 39 (lever action .22) like in the picture below

was my grandfathers and is now my Dad's. We still shoot it and it still kills cans and paper like a champ. Get a Marlin, I have never heard anyone complain about one.

(Delaware County)

Marlin 336XLR 30-30

I bought this gun with the intention of going hunting (I never have been hunting) but more than likely I'll never go. I've shot it a lot short distance, not many long ranges real close to home. I have shot it long distance a few times and it's a fun, accurate gun. I did hit an 8" gong at 200 yards with it.

Bill

Last edited by soberbyker; September 8th, 2008 at 04:48 AM.

(Delaware County)

I'm a Marlin man myself... I like the side eject and the ease of removing the bolt to clean from the breech.

(Chester County)

Marlins are fine guns indeed, and I've never heard a complaint, but after weighing the Marlin against the Winchester 94, the hystorical significance of the Winchester tipped the scales in it's favor. Scoping was a concern, so I got an angle eject carbine and was able to put a top mount scope on just fine with standard weaver brackets. I don't think you can go wrong with either one, and I think there was at least one of each for sale on this forum within the past week.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith4001r View Post
    . . . So whaddaya think? Winchester 94, Marlin 336 or a new Mossberg 464 in the same price range?

D. Any of the above.

That said, although I prefer Marlins for reasons stated in other psots above, I'd consider a good used Winchester 94. Look for one that's not rusty or dinged up because that shows that the previous owner took care of his guns instead of tossing it behind the truck seat uncased.

Also put the butt on the floor and when looking down at the muzzle look at the front sight and rear sight and see that they are aligned, and check to see if the mag tube is directly under the barrel and not cocked to one side or the other. Levers with canted sights and canted mag tubes tend to have accuracy and grouping issues.

Dealers around here have many used Win 94s and Marlin 336 or Glenfield 30As on shelves for $250-$325, many times with an inexpensive scope, rings, and bases. Even if you schit-can the cheap scope, the rings and base(s) are worth $25-$40 alone depending on make and style.

Noah

(Perry County)

Marlin. Hands down. I own two Marlin 336C's chambered for the .35 Remington. Just great all around rifles.

(Jefferson County)

Being a Marlin man myself - I sure wouldn't turn down a good Winny 94.

At this point in time, if you can get a Winny or a Marlin - take the Winny. They aren't making them anymore, and value will go up if left in good condition. My '94 Trapper 45LC jumped $200 in value overnight when Winchester stopped production.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Blair County)

I am fortunate enough to own the entire collection of my great great grandfathers Winchester's 25-20, 44-40, 32. All have saddle rings and octagon barrels. My great grandfathers 30-30 has saddle rings also but not octagon barrel. I would like to get a current Marlin though.

Brad
    And if you want to race, name the place and I'll show you where it's at mother f@#$&#!

(Chester County)

My choice is also the Marlin. I have an older model 336C(before they started putting the cross bolt safeties on them), with a 4X scope. Very accurate gun and smooth operating. My dad has a Winchester 94 top eject and I find it to be very clunky and innaccurate as compared to the Marlin. I'm not sure if the bolt on the Winchester can come out to facilitate breech to muzzle cleaning as with the Marlin. My dad always cleaned his from the muzzle and thus I never knew if the bolt is removable or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast