Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Places we can't conceal-carry in PA

I recently moved here from Arizona and made application for my concealed carry license 3 days ago at the Sheriff's office. I have searched the many web sites for details on PA carry laws and did not see this anywhere but don't want to assume anything. In Arizona it is illegal for ANYONE to carry (open or concealed) in a place of business where alcohol was served, unless you were the proprietor and/or as the proprietor you allowed employees to carry. In Texas I believe the law states that you are not to carry into an establishment who's sales exceeded 50% revenue in alcohol. So what's the scoop here in PA?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Places we can't conceal-carry in PA

"Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Chester County)

Jay, packing.org was the first site I reviewed. I saw nothing in the PA guidelines that limit concealed carry...other than in schools and the usual Federal requirements. So should we assume that CCW is allowed in any private establishment unless the owner of the establishment chooses otherwise?

(Carbon County)

Highlights:

http://www.acslpa.org/pa_uniform_firearms_act.htm
    §912. Possession of Weapon on School Property.

(a) Definition.—Notwithstanding the definition of “weapon” in section 907 (relating to possessing instruments of crime), “weapon” for purposes of this section shall include but not be limited to any knife, cutting instrument, cutting tool, nun-chuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool, instrument or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.

(b) Offense defined.—A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.

(c) Defense—It shall be a defense that the weapon is pos*sessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose. (Added by L.1980, Act 167(1), eff. 12/15/80.)

§913. Possession of Firearm or Other Dangerous Weapon in Court Facility.

(f) Definitions.—As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

“Court facility.” The courtroom of a court of record; a courtroom of a community court; the courtroom of a district justice; a courtroom of the Philadelphia Municipal Court; a courtroom of the Pittsburgh Magistrates Court; a courtroom of the Traffic Court of Philadelphia; judge’s chambers; witness rooms; jury deliberation rooms; attorney conference rooms; prisoner holding cells; offices of court clerks, the district attorney, the sheriff and probation and parole officers; and any adjoining corridors.
    if you ever see my post edited...its most likely for speling :D
    "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"-In Time of War the Law Falls Silent-Cicero
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"-If you want peace, prepare for war-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"America Starts Here!"-former PA state Slogan...until NJ complained and our wussy GovRendell changed it!

(Indiana County)

As the previous posters have stated, the only non-federal OFF LIMITS places are as follows:
    • State Parks - per DCNR Reg
    • K-12 Schools - per State Law

• Court Facilities - per State Law

• Pittsburgh International Airport - per County Ordinance

• State Capitol Buildings - per State Capitol Police

All of the preceding can be contested, if you're willing, in court to test their legality/validity/constitutional standing; the UFA itself is silent on the subject.

Okay places? Everywhere else!

If you want to carry, either open or concealed, in a bar, beauty salon or beanery, you can. Posted signs, if any exist, have no legal standing. However, if the owner objects and asks you to leave, you must.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    • State Capitol Buildings - per State Capitol Police

Thanks didnt realise THAT one! Any idea if that was under Ridge too...or was it a directive under FatEddie from State Capital Police? Seems our rights are slowly eroding once again!
    Last edited by danp; November 19th, 2006 at 03:07 PM.
    if you ever see my post edited...its most likely for speling :D
    "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"-In Time of War the Law Falls Silent-Cicero
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"-If you want peace, prepare for war-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"America Starts Here!"-former PA state Slogan...until NJ complained and our wussy GovRendell changed it!

(Luzerne County)

One more:
    Federal buildings including the U.S. Post Office

(Allegheny County)

CCinPa,

I read an article written by a lawyer that reviewed carry in Post office.

Can't remember where but summerization is that it is not illegal to carry there.

I'll have to try to find it. Do you have any link or statute that includes PO as off limits?

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/rtc-usps.html
    Last edited by 27hand; November 19th, 2006 at 06:14 PM. Reason: additiom to post
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Indiana County)

The site you're thinking of is The Gun Zone, and the website is http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/rtc-usps.html. According to this article, concealed carry is perfectly okay inside a post office if it's not in violation of state law.

Another point of view posted with Buckeye Firearms Association, website here http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/content-96.html states that 18 USC 930 does not apply to US Postal Service facilities, but rather 39 CFR 232.1, which makes it a violation.

Interestingly, the signs posted at post offices cite 18 USC 930.

A firearm may be shipped through the mail under certain circumstances, but you can't bring a firearm into a post office, but in order to ship it you have to bring it into a post office. Typical government Catch 22.

Anyone care to invest a small fortune on getting the issue resolved in court?

(Luzerne County)

A lot of the information posted here is outdate much has been challanged and some laws have been overturned. I would strongly suggest you consult an attorney as PA has some of the fewest restrictions of any state.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast