Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Do you need to contact FFL's before you make a purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Speaking for FFLs, it is frustrating to receive an unexpected, unordered carton, especially if there is no documentation inside the carton. If it is nothing that's been ordered, or that a customer is expecting, there can be a tendency to want to refuse delivery.

It is highly recommended that you contact your intended receiving FFL, explain that you want to use them to receive a transfer, and what to they want you to do?

Best regards,

Noah
    ^^ This is the best way to do a internet gun transaction.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

(Bucks County)

I'll second the above.
    It doesn't happen often, but I have received firearms from other FFL's with no idea which customer they are for.
    I log them in and they sit in the safe until someone comes looking for them....
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

If I am ordering from a online retailer that has them listed under their approved FFL's meaning they already have their current FFL on file then I place the order and then drop that FFL a line once the order is complete. In the past I have 1st tried to inform the FFL once I got the okay I went back and the item I wanted was gone.

Earlier this evening I ordered a CZ-75 from Bud's gun's saw they had the local FFL I typically use listed as verified so I went and placed the order and then sent him the note after.

(Wyoming County)

In the case of the Home based / Kitchen table dealer, your dealer may be going on vacation or some other reason for a prolonged absence which may make them unavailable to receive your firearm.

I think it would be a good practice to check their availability prior to placing that order unless you are using a full time gun shop.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

Levittown (gun shop in Croydon), Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    In the case of the Home based / Kitchen table dealer, your dealer may be going on vacation or some other reason for a prolonged absence which may make them unavailable to receive your firearm.

I think it would be a good practice to check their availability prior to placing that order unless you are using a full time gun shop.
    That is always a good idea. I am not home based but I work out of an office space by appt. It works well because I can meet customers at their convenience (most places around me close early). I just a transfer for a guy at 9:45 pm because his wife works late. I told him as long as we can call it in before 10pm he is good to go.

But also like what was mentioned, I am going out of town in a month of so to visit family and will be gone for a week. If I get a email about a transfer and they don't mind waiting a few days I can have UPS hold it till I get back. Most often it's not an issue though. I seldom get guys who want to pick stuff up the day it comes in. I usually get something and let them know and then they pick a day/evening that is good for them. I have a gun sitting in my safe that has been there for three months and will probably be a couple more till the guy gets back from Japan (military).

I only charge $30.00 for transfers but that includes the background check and that is a good question to ask as some dealers will tell you the price for a transfer but then tack on more for the BGC and I have seen as high as $15.00 just for that. Calling first will certainly help avoid sticker shock. Plus dealers do prefer to get a heads up, like someone else said it is really annoying to get a gun and not know who it is for.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Auger Precision View Post
    That is always a good idea. I am not home based but I work out of an office space by appt. It works well because I can meet customers at their convenience (most places around me close early). I just a transfer for a guy at 9:45 pm because his wife works late. I told him as long as we can call it in before 10pm he is good to go.

But also like what was mentioned, I am going out of town in a month of so to visit family and will be gone for a week. If I get a email about a transfer and they don't mind waiting a few days I can have UPS hold it till I get back. Most often it's not an issue though. I seldom get guys who want to pick stuff up the day it comes in. I usually get something and let them know and then they pick a day/evening that is good for them. I have a gun sitting in my safe that has been there for three months and will probably be a couple more till the guy gets back from Japan (military).

I only charge $30.00 for transfers but that includes the background check and that is a good question to ask as some dealers will tell you the price for a transfer but then tack on more for the BGC and I have seen as high as $15.00 just for that. Calling first will certainly help avoid sticker shock. Plus dealers do prefer to get a heads up, like someone else said it is really annoying to get a gun and not know who it is for.
    Auger, what happens if a gun comes in that you were not expecting and you are away from home/office and thus unable to coordinate with the shipper? Does it go back to the original vendor, or (I have heard) are there mistakes where a gun is left outdoors unsecured? If it goes back to origin does the buyer get whacked with return shipping and/or restocking fees?
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

Don't tell your local FFL a firearm is coming in for you.

Ask if he will assist in the transaction. Even if you used them before. Get fees and details straight beforehand.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Centre County)

Auger, what happens if a gun comes in that you were not expecting and you are away from home/office and thus unable to coordinate with the shipper? Does it go back to the original vendor, or (I have heard) are there mistakes where a gun is left outdoors unsecured? If it goes back to origin does the buyer get whacked with return shipping and/or restocking fees?
    If it comes USPS they will hold it until you pick it up. I always tell them at my PO (it's pretty small) so they just put my mail in a USPS container and hold it for me until I get back.

If UPS or FedEx, an FFL can get set up to get notifications on their phone that a package is inbound and then they can set it up with them to hold it until you pick it up or delay the delivery until you return. Or the FFL, if he knows when he typically gets the delivery, have a trusted friend or family member wait at the business to sign for it and put it inside.

IIRC, UPS and FedEx will try 3 times to deliver and then after a certain period of time ship it back to the originator. That's why I got set up with the notifications/delivery options of both places, just in case.

I prefer to have a buyer call me or email me to give me a heads up but I have had a lot of people just order and have it sent. That happens a lot with Buds, CDNN, Impact Guns, PSA and other places that I am already on file. AIM Surplus actually sends me an email saying the so and so has ordered something to be delivered to me.

I regards to your questions, I've never had a gun be returned to due lack of being able to be delivered and I've never had one left outside unsecured but I do have good UPS and FedEx drivers (even the substitutes).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

A lot of the times FFLs will have "preferred status" with major online retailers where you don't have to do anything but order because their license is on file. Buds and CDNN for example will have multiple places in your area of this classification.

Levittown (gun shop in Croydon), Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

Sorry I couldn't reply sooner, I was doing the Oaks show. But pretty much what X-ring stated. But still I would recommend letting the dealer know as an extra layer of security. I too have had guns left without signature etc. I have been home just happen to notice a delivery person or two leave a package and I walk outside and there is a box on the ground with a gun in it.......Luckily I have yet to have one go back for lack of being able to receive/pick it up. But shippers "should" always put sig required on all packages containing firearms. But even then most of the responsibility lies on the shipper. If they don't ship to the correct address, fail to put sig required etc. then there isn't a whole lot we as receiving FFLs can do about it. One time I had a lower receiver shipped to me and the usps person just scribbled a name and threw it in the mailbox and left because she didn't feel like knocking or waiting (and I was home).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast