Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Americans Sell Space Shuttle Secrets to China

From CNN Money:
    http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...3-22936164.htm

Ex-Boeing engineer charged with theft of Space Shuttle secrets for China - DOJ
    February 11, 2008: 02:38 PM EST

SAN FRANCISCO, Feb. 11, 2008 (Thomson Financial delivered by Newstex) -- A former Boeing (NYSE:BA) Co. engineer has been indicted on charges of economic espionage in the theft of company trade secrets related to aerospace programs, including the Space Shuttle, for China, said the Department of Justice on Monday.

Dongfan Chung, who was employed by Rockwell International from 1973 until its defense and space unit was acquired by Boeing in 1996, also was charged with acting as an unregistered foreign agent of the People's Republic of China. He is a native of China and a naturalized U.S. citizen, the Justice Department said.

The indictment alleges that Chung took and concealed Boeing trade secrets relating to the Space Shuttle, the C-17 military transport aircraft and the Delta IV rocket. Chung allegedly obtained the materials for the benefit of China, the government said.

According to the indictment, Chinese aviation industry representatives began sending Chung 'tasking' letters as early as 1979. Over the years, the letters directed Chung to collect specific technological information, including data related to the Space Shuttle and various military and civilian aircraft. Chung allegedly responded in one letter indicating a desire to contribute to the 'motherland,' the DOJ said.

Separately, the Justice Department said that a Defense Department analyst and two others have been arrested on espionage charges related to the passage of classified U.S. government documents and information to the government of China.

Both Tai Shen Kuo and Yu Xin Kang were charged by criminal complaint with conspiracy to disclose national defense information to a foreign government. Gregg William Bergersen was charged in a separate complaint with conspiracy to disclose national defense information to persons not entitled to receive it, the DOJ said.

Bergersen, a weapons systems policy analyst at the Arlington, Va.-based Defense Security Cooperation Agency, an agency within the Department of Defense, was charged with being the source of the classified information collected by Kuo, the government said. Kang, a citizen of the People's Republic of China and a lawful permanent resident of the United States, served as a conduit of information between 'PRC Official A' and Kuo, according to the government.

Shares of Boeing were up 2% at $80.91.

Katherine Hunt
    Copyright Thomson Financial News Limited 2007. All rights reserved.
    and the Washington Post:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...021101283.html

Defense Official Is Charged in Chinese Espionage Case

4 Charged With Giving U.S. Secrets to China
    A Defense Department analyst and a former engineer for Boeing Co. were charged Monday in separate spy cases for allegedly selling military secrets to the Chinese government, the Justice Department said.

By Jerry Markon
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Tuesday, February 12, 2008; Page A01

They would meet every few months at restaurants in Northern Virginia, or sometimes take in a show in Las Vegas. Once, the Defense Department official emerged with a half-inch stack of hundred-dollar bills stuffed in his shirt pocket, federal officials said yesterday. His Chinese contact reported back to a handler in Beijing.

But FBI agents were tracking the pair, and they moved in yesterday and arrested both men in a case that federal officials said highlights China's increasingly aggressive efforts to obtain U.S. military and trade secrets. The FBI raids came hours before the Defense official, Gregg W. Bergersen, and the Chinese businessman, Tai Shen Kuo, had reservations to meet again at an Alexandria restaurant.

Both are charged in U.S. District Court in Alexandria with espionage, one of two cases announced yesterday by the Justice Department that involve alleged Chinese plans to infiltrate U.S. intelligence or companies. In California, a former Boeing engineer was accused of stealing hundreds of thousands of secret company documents about the space shuttle and military programs.

The case unfolding outside the nation's capital is not as significant as that of Aldrich H. Ames or Robert P. Hanssen, spies who were also prosecuted at the Alexandria federal courthouse and who did incalculable damage to national security, officials said yesterday. The government is still trying to figure out how much damage Bergersen, who lives in Fairfax County, may have caused with the information he is accused of giving Kuo, which mostly concerned U.S. military sales to Taiwan.

Bergersen's wife, Ofelia, said outside the federal courthouse after a brief hearing yesterday that her husband is "absolutely innocent." A spokesman for the Arlington County-based Defense Security Cooperation Agency, a Defense agency where Bergersen is a weapons policy analyst, would not comment.

If convicted, Bergersen faces up to 10 years in prison. Kuo and a third person charged, Yu Xin Kang, 33, of New Orleans, face up to life in prison. The former Boeing engineer charged in California, Dongfan "Greg" Chung, 72, faces more than 100 years in prison. Federal officials said many of the documents he is accused of stealing were found in his home and never made it to China.

Kuo also cultivated relationships with other U.S. government officials, according to court documents, and federal law enforcement sources said more people might be charged. The sources spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is continuing.

Court documents unsealed yesterday in the Alexandria case describe what Justice Department official Kenneth L. Wainstein yesterday called "the classic espionage network, complete with traditional elements of spy trade craft, including foreign handlers, payoffs . . . couriers and a compromised government employee."

FBI agents followed Bergersen, 51, and Kuo, 58, as the pair met every couple of months for the past two years at restaurants in Alexandria and Loudoun County and also at places in Charleston, S.C., and Las Vegas, according to court records. The agents taped their calls, monitored their e-mail and videotaped them driving in a rental car to Dulles International Airport.

It was on that video that the agents said they saw Kuo, of New Orleans, stick the stack of cash in Bergersen's shirt pocket, court documents say. The outer bill was a $100 note.

Bergersen was then recorded, according to court documents, as telling Kuo: "Now, the other information I gave you, um, I'm very, very, very reticent to let you have it, because it's all classified . . . but I, I will let you see it . . . and you can take all the notes you want."

"I appreciate it. I appreciate it," Kuo said.

"But I, I, if it ever fell into the wrong hands, and I know it's not going to, but if it ever . . . then I would be fired for sure. I'd go to jail . . . because I violated all the rules."

What Bergersen then let Kuo copy, federal officials said, was a classified list of projected U.S. military sales to Taiwan for the next five years. Kuo then discussed the list in an e-mail to his contact in Beijing, identified in documents as "People's Republic of China Official A," and he later took the list to Beijing.

The information would be of great interest to the Chinese government, according to federal officials and experts on China, because China and Taiwan are adversaries, with China insisting that Taiwan reunite with the mainland. The United States has a long-standing "one China" policy, under which it maintains diplomatic relations only with China.

Taken together, the cases show that China, with its growing military might, is becoming increasingly aggressive in trying to steal U.S. secrets, Justice officials said. Wainstein, assistant attorney general for Justice's national security division, said the overall frequency of espionage, primarily from China and Russia, is approaching the level of activity seen during the Cold War era. The Chinese activity has triggered a major crackdown by Justice.

Neighbors of Bergersen's said the agents, toting automatic weapons, arrived about 5:30 a.m. yesterday and spent about five hours hauling computers and other equipment from the house. They approached Bergersen as he was leaving the house to go exercise, his wife said.

Marcia Shell, a neighbor who witnessed the raid, said, "It was like watching '24' live."
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Americans Sell Space Shuttle Secrets to China

And they should all join Richard Hanson in ADX prison for life.

No newspapers
    No TV
    No Human Contact
    Allowed out of your cell 1 hour a day.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by larrymeyer View Post

No newspapers
    No TV
    No Human Contact
    You're too kind; I have no desire to have my taxes pay for these people to continue to exist. Their treacherous acts don't just harm a single person, but an entire society.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Northampton County)

The Chinese probably could have bought the shuttle secrets cheaper from the Russians.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by larrymeyer View Post

No newspapers
    No TV
    No Human Contact

Or....we could SHOOT 'EM !!!!!!

Marry you, and ruin it all ? I say let's play in sin. ~Michele
    Do ya like warm oil massages ?~Me
    As long as it's gun oil.~Michele

(Bucks County)

Hmmm. I wonder how they caught him? I have a sneaking thinking that the Gov't trampled all over his right to privacy. Must have also taped his phone, followed him, read his email, etc. F'ing Police State is getting out of control! Bottom line is that we don't belong in space. If we were not there, we would not have a space program, hence no shuttle, hence no need for China to steal anything. Oh, when will we learn to finally mind our own business? I hope this guy and the Chinese will someday forgive us.

(Berks County)

I don't really understand why everyone is so upset over this. At this point we are in debt to China so much that they basically OWN the space program of this country dollar for dollar.

(Fulton County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyDad View Post
    Or....we could SHOOT 'EM !!!!!!
    and charge the families for the cost of the bullets

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    Hmmm. I wonder how they caught him? I have a sneaking thinking that the Gov't trampled all over his right to privacy. Must have also taped his phone, followed him, read his email, etc. F'ing Police State is getting out of control! Bottom line is that we don't belong in space. If we were not there, we would not have a space program, hence no shuttle, hence no need for China to steal anything. Oh, when will we learn to finally mind our own business? I hope this guy and the Chinese will someday forgive us.
    OMG !!!!!

Marry you, and ruin it all ? I say let's play in sin. ~Michele
    Do ya like warm oil massages ?~Me
    As long as it's gun oil.~Michele

(Delaware County)

If we elect another clinton to the white house, the chinese can lay off all of their spies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast