Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Rifle Range- Hickory Run State Park?

Can anyone tell me where there's a black-rifle friendly rifle range in the Hickory Run State park area? I'm not looking for a club to join, just need a place where I can go shoot my rifle, preferrably rapid fire (NOT full auto), and not the SGL range off of Rte. 93 (30 round mags with 3 rounds would be a lot of work!). I'll be going on vacation in about a month or so, and I want to do some shooting AND teach my wife.

Thanks in advance for the help.

John

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Rifle Range- Hickory Run State Park?

Thanks, Bill.

And I should add, I'm willing to drive a bit from the area to find a range. I surely don't expect to walk out the back door and on to a shooting range!

John

(Carbon County)

I live 10 min from Hickory Run. As far as I know there is No range there.The only rifle range T know of is Sunsett Hill in Henryville. From what i here is is mostly a tourist attaction so i can garuntee no rapit fire. i will keep checking for you.

(Montgomery County)

I have a place in Albrightsville, and I know my buddy has shot his AR at a state range off of 93 outside of Nesquehoning. I have not shot there but he said it's great. I hope that helps a little.

McIver

(Montgomery County)

OOPS, I didn't read all your post about the SGL spot. I believe that is the same place. I know there is a new gun shop that just opened in Albrightsvile, I''ll check with them this weekend and see if they know of a range.

McIver

(Susquehanna County)

I wound up going to Sunset a couple of times while I was up there last year. The 37 yard or so (I forget exactly) range wasn't the most challenging for me, but it was good for my wife to fam-fire. Chalk up another one with BRD!

I frequent the area to fish, but never saw any ranges that would accomodate my "needs," so it will be good to hear about the new gun shop around Albrightsville. Let me (us) know the location, if I get a chance next time I'm up, maybe I can stop in. I don't really expect to hear anthing positive regarding public or private that allows public for a fee ranges, however. But I'll appreciate your recon, McGiver!

John

I've been wondering the same thing about a range near Hickory Run. I found a place called Ontelaunee. Not sure how close it is. Membership is $25 a year and you can print out an application on line. Not sure if you need to attend an orientation. Has anyone heard of this place or know anything about it?

http://www.ontelaunee.org/index.php/directions/

(Lehigh County)

I belong to Ontelaunee is a about 20 minutes N of Allentown, in New Tripoli.They have pistol and rifle ranges up to 300 yds. Is a nice place to shoot.

Cool, anything more specific you can tell me about the range? Do you have to attend an orientation and submit the application in person or can it be done online? Is there a limit to the amount of bullets you can have in a magazine? Can you bring guests, and if so how many and how much?

Thanks.

(Carbon County)

I live in Albrightsville, and haven't really found anything near by to bring an AR to, looking at Ontelaunee's site and it isn't too bad of a drive -- about 45min from 534/903.

Rich - any more info on the range/club would be great.

Also - the shop in Albrightsville is Eastern Arms & Outfitters on rt903 near rt 534 in the same shopping center as the Subway and the Beer Dist if you know the area .. 570-722-0200 I recently picked up a new Daniel Defense AR through them, great folks, good prices, treated me great.