Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Pistol storage. How do you store yours?

Hi folks,

I have probably 20 or so pistols (Semi-auto and revolvers) of varying sizes and lengths. For now, I am storing the bulk of them in a Stack-On cabinet that more suited for ammo storage than pistol storage. It's hard to get them in and out of the shelves. I'm looking for a better storage solution without taking up a lot of space.

Thanks,

-Ethan.

(York County)

Default Re: Pistol storage. How do you store yours?

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    Hi folks,

I have probably 20 or so pistols (Semi-auto and revolvers) of varying sizes and lengths. For now, I am storing the bulk of them in a Stack-On cabinet that more suited for ammo storage than pistol storage. It's hard to get them in and out of the shelves. I'm looking for a better storage solution without taking up a lot of space.

Thanks,

-Ethan.
    Not sure I have much to offer since my pistol collection numbers exactly three. But I guess you'll get better answers if you specify your goals with storage. Do you just want good accessible storage? Do you want 'secure' storage to prevent curious children, etc. from getting at them? Are you worried about robbery and want something truly bulletproof? Etc.

FWIW, I keep mine in a small gun-safe in my storage/work room in the basement, which is itself also locked. Definitely sufficient to deter the curious/kids/etc.

I figure a determined thief who gets in while we're away and has time could certainly defeat both locks... But he'd have to pass up a bunch of grab-n-go electronics and stuff thieves normally take, go through three rooms to the back of the basement, pass up the impressive-looking 'decoy' safe out in the open in my office that's left closed-but-unlocked (because I lost the combination years ago) with some fake gold & jewelry in it, etc.
    DGAF

(Washington County)

Under my pillow ( I'm kidding )

You could certainly convert most long gun safes to handle a decent pistol collection. Between shelves and door pockets it shouldn't be an issue. There are some handgun safes out there for about 12 handguns, not so sure about 20 or better. Browning had a nice safe suitable for handguns years ago.

(Delaware County)

Depending how many shelves you have these might work. Pistol hangers.

https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Soluti...r+for+gun+safe

(Allegheny County)

In Bore Stores on Versatile VR wire racks (Amazon). Versatile makes various capacities to fit any width shelf/safe.

(Lancaster County)

I've thought about a standard gun safe, but even with the hangers and door pockets, I'd have a ton of wasted space inside. I have a few rifles, but maybe only about 6 or so. As for what I'm looking for- they don't necessarily have to be at my fingertips at any second, but I'd like an organized, easy to get to format. Digging in the little cabinet I have is a pain and I often end up smacking the edges of the cabinet trying to get the pistols in and out. And I've got it more than full already- some are stack on top of each other in it. I like to store my magazines with or near the gun since several of the guns I own take nearly identical mags. I don't want to get them mixed up! And yes, I'd like something secure in case anyone breaks in the house and I'm not home. I don't have children and rarely, if ever, are there small children anywhere near my gun storage area. It was suggested to buy an old wooden chest and then store my pistols in that using either foam blocks or some other type of system, but I don't have enough space for that (I live in an old rowhome).

I think if you shop around for the most modular safe that fits your needs you can make it work. I like the hangers if you can keep long guns on one side and shelves on the other side. If there is wasted space, you know what you need to do.

(Centre County)

Stack-On makes a lockable double gun cabinet, doors on both sides, rifles on one side and shelves on the other (and you can always add more shelves with just a little work). Don't store them laying on foam, better to be on a bare shelf or line the shelf with some very short nap carpet. Oil them good and just lay them in there. Get some dessicant bags or cans if you're worried about too much humidity.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Someone told me one time that they use some sort of wire or plastic rack from Walmart that was built for holding dishes/plates inside of their safe and it was dirt cheap. All of the pistol specific ones that I have seen are like $20+ which just seems too much for my cheap ass

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast