Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Buying my first AR - what do I need to know?

I finally said fork it today and put some cash down on a new LMT MRP in 5.56. Looking at the LMT website, it should come with a sling, torque driver (which will be replaced based off how janky everyone says it is), a 30 rounder and a few other miscellaneous things. I'm here for the basics.

What else am I gonna need? What else do I need to know? I know I'll need a good padded bag for it so that's on the list. Mags, obviously. I have a few hundred rounds of 223/5.56 that haven't been fed through my Mini yet but I want to invest in some good 69/72/75/77 grain stuff to see what the 1:7 can really do. Most all of what I have now is M193.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Buying my first AR - what do I need to know?

Nice, very good choice and top quality AR. I have an LMT, although it's not the MRP it's a fantastic shooter and my most accurate AR. I have a 14.5" barrel and under the right conditions I can shoot sub MOA with XM193 ammo. I have also shot 69 grn match ammo and it was even better at about .5 MOA.

LMT are known for very good accuracy from their chrome lined barrels. Mine has a 12" DD rail, chopped and shaved FSB, Geissle SSA and a Leupold 1.25x4 VX-R scope. I'm in the market for a MRP upper and if I come across one at the right price I'll buy it, always wanted one. Make sure to post up some pics when you get it.

Have fun!

My AR is a cobbled together deal with a rock river predator pursuit heavy barrel upper. Even with a heavy trigger it's so accurate with handloads that it's boring!

I keep thinking about selling it but then I know I'll want another!

Handloading for 223 is a lot of work but totally worth it. It makes me slow down and make my shots count! It can be pretty easy to blast away and spend 50,100,250 on ammo in a session- watch out!

(Butler County)

Ammo, mags, more ammo. Repeat often.
    Chamber brush for cleaning. Geissele trigger. Optics of your choice.
    Good choice on the LMT. Top shelf.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    Nice, very good choice and top quality AR. I have an LMT, although it's not the MRP it's a fantastic shooter and my most accurate AR. I have a 14.5" barrel and under the right conditions I can shoot sub MOA with XM193 ammo. I have also shot 69 grn match ammo and it was even better at about .5 MOA.

LMT are known for very good accuracy from their chrome lined barrels. Mine has a 12" DD rail, chopped and shaved FSB, Geissle SSA and a Leupold 1.25x4 VX-R scope. I'm in the market for a MRP upper and if I come across one at the right price I'll buy it, always wanted one. Make sure to post up some pics when you get it.
    Awesome advice. A trigger is in the top 5 of things I want to add.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radarsonwheels View Post
    Have fun!

My AR is a cobbled together deal with a rock river predator pursuit heavy barrel upper. Even with a heavy trigger it's so accurate with handloads that it's boring!

I keep thinking about selling it but then I know I'll want another!

Handloading for 223 is a lot of work but totally worth it. It makes me slow down and make my shots count! It can be pretty easy to blast away and spend 50,100,250 on ammo in a session- watch out!
    I thought about getting into reloading but scheduling leaves me with not much time during the week and the weekends are spent either being lazy or doing what I can't do M-F.
    Quote Originally Posted by bortle View Post
    Ammo, mags, more ammo. Repeat often.
    Chamber brush for cleaning. Geissele trigger. Optics of your choice.
    Good choice on the LMT. Top shelf.
    That's about I figured. Pick up a handful of quality mags and slowly stock in more ammo. Again, a trigger along with an optic of some kind is on my short list. Of course, I wanna shoot it and see where my priorities lay in modifications.

Anyone have any favorite mags they wanna suggest? Do I just go P-Mag or is there better choices?

(Allegheny County)

As for mags, I have GI, Pmags and Lancers, all perform well and I kind of prefer the Lancers over Pmags due to the metal reinforced lips. Although you can't go wrong with any of the 3 I mentioned, and gets lots of them while they are cheap.

Brownells anti tilt mags are good to go.

A compensator would be a nice add on with that trigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Allegheny County)

With that setup for range use:
    Mags and Ammo
    Optic after you learn the irons.

For HD:
    Sling (may want to upgrade, depending on what you get from LMT)
    White Light
    RDS
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Wayne County)

Get the optics 1st if you want. Chicks dig optics, and they make shooting beer cans more like Modern Warfare. It's such an upgrade especially if you have really dry eyes like me when I get into combat with steel (aluminum) and paper targets. Unless I carry rewetting drops in my SOPMOD stock I can't focus on the fucking FSB.

If you forsee having to engage a Tango in your house, get an aimpoint. You can leave that shit on 24/7 and it's Good to go. Aimpoints are like deadly Sweedish chicks with big hooties ..... ready to join you in the symphony of fucking throwing lead and ventilating Crackheads whenever you need them. Can't beat that with a stick.

As for ammo, you really don't need a whole lot to start. I have 4 mags duct taped together or to me at all times. ( Spongebob or One Direction duct tape only, I've found other types deform P Mags and Colt 20 rounders.)

I roll with 4 loads in the house in each of the 4 magazines.

One mag of 62 gr Federal Fusion if I'm feeling like the Tango is gonna go down easy.

One mag of 64 gr Nosler Power points ( 5.56 loaded ) if I think they are smoking DMT.

One mag of 77gr Black hills Mk262 If they are in the next Project house but threatening me or someone directly.

and last but not least one mag of 70gr TSX if they are impervious to lead but die when I shoot them with copper.

OH!

You'll also need sturdy rubber bands to attach shit to the stock

*tourniquets

*Skittles

*GPS

*wifi device

All in all I think you've made a great choice with an LMT Carbean, I hope it gives you many years of fine service.
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(Wayne County)

OH one more thing

"99.9% of the gear is bullshit and 99.9% of the people talking about it are full of shit."

chartguy
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast