Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Giant eagle jumping on the bandwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by TB3 View Post
    My aunt started out as a cart wrangler for giant eagle back in the late 70’s early 80’s and she’s worked for them ever since and is now at a corporate level. She was almost giddy over their announcement. I was around her over the weekend, her and I are polar opposites politically. I chose a long time ago not to engage her on political matters because she’s incapable of not taking a debate personally. She was talking up the decision within earshot of me on purpose hoping I would engage, hearing the things she was saying gave a lot of perspective. This move has nothing whatsoever to do with safety of customers. Her reaction shows me that it was her like minded coworkers attempt at scoring a political hit on people they disagree with and nothing more. My aunt does not like the fact that it’s perfectly legal for citizens to walk around armed with firearms.

Is she really stupid enough to think that this "political hit" accomplishes anything? I will now actively avoid Giant Eagle as much as possible but when I am there, I will still have a gun on me. Feel free to tell her that.

If I worked there as an overnight employee, I'd be letting them know that they had better put on some extra security now to offset the "hey, no guns here!" advertisement they sent sent out to criminals.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    I have gotten 30 gallons as low as 20 cents per gallon..
    On more than one occasion I've gotten 30 gallons as low as 0 cents per gallon.

fuel perks > gas price = rollover

I can stick five gas cans in my Jeep, but generally only need four if I time everything correctly. Nearest GetGo to me is about 22 miles away.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    Is she really stupid enough to think that this "political hit" accomplishes anything? I will now actively avoid Giant Eagle as much as possible but when I am there, I will still have a gun on me. Feel free to tell her that.

If I worked there as an overnight employee, I'd be letting them know that they had better put on some extra security now to offset the "hey, no guns here!" advertisement they sent sent out to criminals.
    My aunt is very misguided, her anti gun stance is surprising, yes she’s a radical dem but she’s also the victim of a violent home invasion. A man forced his way into her house and chased her into the kitchen and once there he grabbed a knife from the butcher block in counter and proceeded to try and stab her, she dove under the table, the guy was slashing and thrusting the knife under as far as he could reach, guy then heard my grandmother making a break for it and so he turned his attention towards stopping my grandmother, luckily my gram had a strong will to fight and wiggled out of her housecoat that he had managed to grab a hold of and She made it screaming out the still open front door. The perp at that point decided to bail out thankfully. You’d think my aunt would then change her attitude towards self defense after being victim of a totally random home invasion by a known rapist (we found out after) but no, if you ask her, she says having a gun wouldn’t have helped her and he’d have probably shot her with it and she’d be dead. My grandmother however, she had a different take and wanted to arm themselves after that but my aunt managed to talk her out of it. You’d at least think her attitude towards others having the means to protect themselves would have changed but nope.

(Indiana County)

Your aunt needs one of these signs.

(Allegheny County)

My aunt is very misguided, her anti gun stance is surprising, yes she’s a radical dem but she’s also the victim of a violent home invasion. A man forced his way into her house and chased her into the kitchen and once there he grabbed a knife from the butcher block in counter and proceeded to try and stab her, she dove under the table, the guy was slashing and thrusting the knife under as far as he could reach, guy then heard my grandmother making a break for it and so he turned his attention towards stopping my grandmother, luckily my gram had a strong will to fight and wiggled out of her housecoat that he had managed to grab a hold of and She made it screaming out the still open front door. The perp at that point decided to bail out thankfully. You’d think my aunt would then change her attitude towards self defense after being victim of a totally random home invasion by a known rapist (we found out after) but no, if you ask her, she says having a gun wouldn’t have helped her and he’d have probably shot her with it and she’d be dead. My grandmother however, she had a different take and wanted to arm themselves after that but my aunt managed to talk her out of it. You’d at least think her attitude towards others having the means to protect themselves would have changed but nope.
    That's pathetic. She's beyond hope obviously.

I work with someone who says the same thing "Oh, it will just get used on you". I could not even get her to buy pepper spray after being approached by a thug in the city, because of the same excuse about it getting used on her.

I don't understand this weak mindset after it's been proven to you that you need to protect yourself.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post

Your aunt needs one of these signs.
    I’d love to see if she’d put that in her yard!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    I work with someone who says the same thing "Oh, it will just get used on you". I could not even get her to buy pepper spray after being approached by a thug in the city, because of the same excuse about it getting used on her.

I don't understand this weak mindset after it's been proven to you that you need to protect yourself.
    I really thought her mind might change in the years after but it hasn’t. She just doesn’t understand the defensive mindset and she has thoroughly bought into the anti gunners “data points” that whole “ more likely to be used on you” argument to me is very inaccurate. That argument is just like the argument that people who buy swimming pools chances of drowning go way up compared to people without pools, still doesn’t mean it’s likely to happen.

If my aunt had a defensive mindset and had answered that strange, out of the ordinary knock on the door armed and suspicious, instead of trusting and unaware, she may very well have been able to deter him with just the announcement that she was armed and would shoot before he managed to force his way inside if she had opened the door at all.

The whole event was a pretty classic example of a predator and a little bit of a defensive mindset and training would have sent red flags up. He asked to use the phone saying he had broken down, when she got a bad feeling and started to try and shut the door, he stuck his foot in and stopped her and then it became a struggle of him versus her while he forced his way in, she couldn’t overpower him.

An armed woman with a defensive mindset would never have opened the door to a stranger in the first place. I love my aunt and I’m certainly very glad it worked out in the end and neither her nor my grandmother were actually physically harmed but the truth is that they were very lucky it worked out that way. It seems the only reason it didn’t work for him was because he didn’t expect that second person (gram) and so he wasn’t prepared. The police found the police found the guy only after he had committed suicide a few days later and someone reported finding the body. when they pieced it all together it turns out he had snapped and gone on a very violent rape spree over the course of a few days, his other victims were nowhere near as lucky as my aunt. He didn’t kill any of the others but he did rape and severely beat the others.
    Last edited by TB3; September 18th, 2019 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Spelling and punctuation

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456