Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Transporting pistol to Ohio

I am a PA resident, but my father in law lives in Ohio. Would I be allowed to transport my pistol from PA to Ohio to go to the range and shoot with him? Sorry if this question has been asked a thousand times. I'm new to the forum. Thanks.
    Last edited by boli; February 16th, 2011 at 02:36 PM.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Shooting in Ohio

I believe you can, check federal law which I believe states if not licensed in Ohio and PA, you must keep it cased, unloaded and not accessible from the driving compartment. I'm sure more knowledgeable people will chime in.

Default Re: Shooting in Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Tomos View Post
    I believe you can, check federal law which I believe states if not licensed in Ohio and PA, you must keep it cased, unloaded and not accessible from the driving compartment. I'm sure more knowledgeable people will chime in.
    Federal law won't apply since you're not traveling through either state, but you should be OK. Note that Ohio considers your gun "loaded" if there is a loaded magazine or speed loader for it anywhere in the vehicle. En-bloc clips (for your M1) and stripper clips are specifically excepted. And if you don't have a PA LTCF, get one; it gets rid all the crazy transport restrictions on this side of the border.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Transporting pistol to Ohio

I do have a LTCF for PA, but I know that Ohio is not reciprocal with PA.

You could get a non-resident permit from another state, like, FL, UT or AZ which would be recognized under OH's reciprocity agreements

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    You could get a non-resident permit from another state, like, FL, UT or AZ which would be recognized under OH's reciprocity agreements
    Best choice for sure, but here is the link OP for federal interstate travel.

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...-firearms.html

Quote Originally Posted by boli View Post
    I do have a LTCF for PA, but I know that Ohio is not reciprocal with PA.
    Ohio doesn't have the crazy handgun transport laws we live with here. You can transport a cased unloaded handgun without a license without our restrictions on where you are going. Just make sure the gun is cased and unloaded (mags/speedloaders too) before crossing the line. On the other hand, carry in the Buckeye State is really restricted -- lots of off-limits places, specific ways to carry in in a vehicle, and "must inform officer." I have a FL license but generally don't bother to carry when I visit my brother there.

(Allegheny County)

I AM NOT A LAWYER THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE

I'm a little weary on transportation laws. But when I would take my firearm with me to Ohio to leave at my parents house while I visited I would carry it in a locked case and the ammo in factory boxes. I don't believe you need the locked part but I need it for FOPA in other states because I don't have a trunk or other area that can only be accessed by exiting the vehicle.

I have a UT licence now mostly to carry in Ohio. The tips I can tell you if you get a UT or FL or any other state that has reciprocity with Ohio is.

Double check the off limits lists.

You have a duty to inform an officer on foot, in the car, everywhere. I have heard this should be the first thing out of your mouth, not greeting, no answering of questions. "Office I have a valid firearms permit and am carrying a firearm on my person located, <wherever you are carrying>."

You cannot carry in any place that has a class D liquor licence. That translates to if you can order or be given a drink to consume on premise you cannot carry, bars no, restaurants no, bowling alleys that serve beer no, temporary special events that server beer no. Now you can by beer in grocery stores and because its not being served there you can carry.

Signs barring firearms carry legal wight more to specific and severe firearms laws. In PA the worst you could get is trespassing of varying lower degrees.

one more for good measure

I live in Ohio, for the most part keep the gun unloaded and in a case in the trunk. And if you have ammo store it in a container or box and keep it seperate from the gun. The only cities that I know of that are hateful to gun owners are Dayton and Columbus. Ohio does not honor PA's conceal license which is a pain in the ass for me cause I do cross through PA from time to time and it would be if the two would honor one anothers. Most officers in Ohio are friendly to deal with if they see you are trying to follow the laws, well other than speeding...F*ck'n lasers!!! But that is another issue altogether
    CCW is still going through some growing pains in Ohio so ya there are a some places that put rob me, I mean anti-gun stickers, on thier doors.

1. Ohio has state preemption. There are no gun laws here except state and federal.
    2. Carry unloaded in the trunk, and you won't have a problem.
    3. Open carry is legal without license (or even ID) on foot.
    4. Vehicle carry requires a recognized credential.
    5. No loaded handgun magazines or speed loaders in a vehicle without a recognized CCW credential.
    6. No loaded rifle magazines in a vehicle EVER.
    7. If you're carrying in a vehicle under a license, your handgun must be:
      1. in a holster on your body (a pocket holster qualifies
      2. in a closed (doesn't have to be locked) glove box or center console
      3. a closed container in plain sight with a closing mechanism of some sort (zipper, etc.)
      4. a locked container not in plain sight
    8. You must "promptly" notify if "stopped for a law enforcement purpose"
    9. No carry in any alcohol serving (by the drink) establishment. Beware, many if not most do NOT post.
    10. "No guns" signs have the force of law.
    11. A posted parking lot comes under civil trespass. If asked to leave, you must.

The easiest thing to do is get a non-resident license from a state with reciprocity.

Download the Attorney General's CCW booklet here: Attorny General's CCW Booklet.

There's a bunch of reforms coming... if the previously anti-gun Kasich doesn't veto them.
    Last edited by Deanimator; February 17th, 2011 at 10:54 AM.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast