Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Default trapping pics ( warning- trapped and/or dead animals)

Since many of you seem rather intruiged by my trapping habit, here's some pics taken over the years. I trap red fox, grey fox, raccoons, muskrats, mink, beaver, and otter, as well as the possums and skunks I sometimes catch in sets for fox or coon/mink. I'd like to trap a coyote and a weasel so I can have trapped each of the species that is in this area that has a season. There is one other furbearer that can be trapped in MD that has a season, and it is the fisher, but they are not found in my area, though one might wander in, they are open in all counties yet the yearly take is always in the 2 most western counties. The last furbearer is the bobcat, but the season is closed still, however I can trap and kill one with my nuisance control lisc if it is causing damage to livestock or other property, and I am told DNR will let me keep it, though it couldn't ever be sold or anything. I'd have to call them to find out before setting any traps for one causing damage problems. Yes bobcats have been in my area before, and they are in other counties too, I know they are spotted now and then in Harford county. The bulk of them are in the westernmost counties.

Last day catch before our shotgun deer season this year.

this season- 2 duck eating foxes

This is from my first season, back in 2000-2001, my first fox I ever caught. Finally did the mount recently.

nature is cruel, this fox had mange really bad and died while in the trap ( last season)

Otter from a few seasons ago

My best day of water trapping, from 8 traps set along same section of creek. Last season.

2 odd colored foxes from 3 seasons ago

pale

speckled- white hairs all over blended in with other hairs

another weird one, same season, must have been the season of freaky foxes!

more to come...
    Last edited by XD40coyote; December 12th, 2008 at 11:39 PM.
    LOL, I am a woman...

Default Re: trapping pics ( warning- trapped and/or dead animals)

Dead predators are cool!!!!!!!

More pics...

big coon from 3 -4 seasons ago

red fox with yellow eyes, 3-4 seasons ago

peekaboo raccoon...

fox double from 2 years ago

coon double from same sets, day before the fox double

skunk, same season, caught on a place where the owner had seen a skunk walk through his garage building and nicknamed it "Stinky" , so I am guessing I caught "Stinky" ( we had a laugh when I told him). Big ol male skunk, dispatched without any spraying.

a mount of a mink I caught back in 02 or something, he has white hairs all throughout the brown

not sure how to explain this one- 2 foxes same set, the particular set uses 2 traps- freaky catch

beaver and a black muskrat

another otter

another oddball catch- a red fox in a mink/coon set, it went down the wire and drowned

more coming...
    LOL, I am a woman...

(York County)

While I typically respect both Fingers as well as XD, I must say that personally disdain trapping. It seems cruel to the animals to leave thme tied and waiting for the end. Do they make traps that just I'd rather just shoot them with them never having seen it coming. But I know that there are people in this world who will say the same thing about hunting in general.

Dave W.
    3%

(Lycoming County)

What is the stick in the photo of the skunk.

Be safe (and carry a bangstick).

Scott

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Cool.

I can't say I like the idea of trapping an animal and letting it wait. I like the body grips better.

Either way, it's a cool hobby that gets you outdoors and exposes you to all kinds of elusive animals most people never get to see up close.

A beaver and a huge coon.

I love fox doubles!

my best day trapping ever- 5 red fox, 1 coon, 1 mink, 1 possum ( mink is in my hand)

big fat yellowish coon...

4 seasons ago the foxes were like fleas there were so many, I caught 81 total that season

foxes in snow...

big fat raccoon from my 2nd season

part of a season's catch 5 seasons or so ago

this is why I trap...

grey fox...

another naughty duck eater down...

another grey fox...

a mink I caught in PA a bunch of seasons ago

meanest raccoon I ever dealt with...

That's all for now.
    LOL, I am a woman...

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    While I typically respect both Fingers as well as XD, I must say that personally disdain trapping. It seems cruel to the animals to leave thme tied and waiting for the end. Do they make traps that just I'd rather just shoot them with them never having seen it coming. But I know that there are people in this world who will say the same thing about hunting in general.

Dave W.

I often have to walk in to some sets and have seen many foxes and raccoons rolled up asleep in the traps. In one case I had a coon in a cage trap that was in a deep sleep. Nature deals a much crueler hand than any trapper, see the mangey fox pic in the first set of pics. Mange takes months of misery to kill foxes and it runs epidemic about every 5 years, with the low year being devoid of many foxes and the few around are mostly covered in mange. It is a huge die-off, and healthy foxes do come in from other areas to repopulate, but the cycle keeps running over and over anyway. They also get a host of other diseases like rabies and distemper, and I have seen many over the years with festering wounds. Wild animals left without food or drink for 1 night is often how they are if running free. Winter can be very hard if it stays below freezing for many days on end. During these times, the animals hole up and live off their fat stores.

Yes I do use kill set ups and bodygrips where and when I can. But for fox in general, they are a land animal and the foot trap is all I can use. I am not cable restraint certified in PA, and the MD counties I trap do not allow snare devices at all. If you can get a wild generally healthy farmland red fox to be caught in a cage trap, I will treat you to an OC dinner.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post
    Since many of you seem rather intruiged by my trapping habit..
    Trapping has always sort of intrigued me.Tried it half-heartedly as a young teenager. Caught a few skunks and a rat here or there, but never really got rooted and grounded into the hobby. I have a copy of Trapping American Furbearers by S Stanley Hawbaker that was passed down from my late uncle Paul,that I browse through occasionally and it sort of stirs me to want to give it a try again. I don't know if it's still in print anymore, but it is a really cool book for any outdoor woodsman. Thanks for posting your pics. (Now, where in the world did I put those old Victors?)

Plinker
    My dog "Ruger" is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog money.

Pray for our troops....and a little extra for our snipers.

(Lycoming County)

what do you do with them after you trap them?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast