Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default York County Court House

A friends recently asked me to go to the court house with her to file some paperwork. Has anyone had any experiences good or bad with checking a firearm at the court house?

Default Re: York County Court House

I got my carry license there a while ago and served jury duty there last month.

It's best to just leave them in your car WITH YOUR CELL PHONE. I made the mistake of forgetting to take my phone out of my pocket once and had to walk it a few blocks back to my car and come back without it. I never tried to check one, I didn't want the hassle.

As for the license process, it was quick and painless. Dropped off, got a call the next day that it was done even though they said it would be up to 48 hours. Picked up, no problems. This is how it should be.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by DoverDad View Post

It's best to just leave them in your car WITH YOUR CELL PHONE. I made the mistake of forgetting to take my phone out of my pocket once and had to walk it a few blocks back to my car and come back without it. I never tried to check one, I didn't want the hassle.

As for the license process, it was quick and painless. Dropped off, got a call the next day that it was done even though they said it would be up to 48 hours. Picked up, no problems. This is how it should be.
    I've had my carry license for about 3 years now, and I refuse to leave my weapon in my car in York City. I grew up in North York too close to the city for my comfort with break in's and so forth. My pistol goes were I go plain and simple.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by DoverDad View Post

I respectfully disagree. While there may be occasions when you are left with no other option than to leave a firearm in a vehicle I think it's a bad idea in this case. It's more susceptible to theft in a car than if it were locked up at the courthouse plus you don't have the firearm available needed for self-defense between the vehicle and the courthouse.

State law requires that court facilities have locker facilities for firearms, I suggest using them.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by FlinchbaughD View Post
    I've had my carry license for about 3 years now, and I refuse to leave my weapon in my car in York City. I grew up in North York too close to the city for my comfort with break in's and so forth. My pistol goes were I go plain and simple.
    Good point, I actually left mine at home in the country when I went in.

I've just never tested the guards at the Courthouse. They do seem to do lazy checks though...if you tell them it's your belt buckle, they just take your word on it and wave you in. Like I said, I wanted to avoid any hassle since their policy states firearms are prohibited.
    What can I bring into County buildings?

Visitors to County-owned buildings may be subjected to security screening. Please note: The following items are prohibited in the York County Judicial Center:

Cell phones
    Firearms
    Cameras
    Pagers
    Radios
    Compact disk players
    Any type of recording device
    Pepper spray
    Mace
    Tools
    Cutting instruments
    Electronic games
    Food/drink
    Any other item Sheriff's Office personnel determine to be a security risk.
    Source: http://yorkcountypa.gov/faq.html

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    I respectfully disagree. While there may be occasions when you are left with no other option than to leave a firearm in a vehicle I think it's a bad idea in this case. It's more susceptible to theft in a car than if it were locked up at the courthouse plus you don't have the firearm available needed for self-defense between the vehicle and the courthouse.

State law requires that court facilities have locker facilities for firearms, I suggest using them.
    I'm not yet a strict "carry everywhere" person considering where I work would not be appropriate, so I'd rather leave it at home than hand it over and trust they won't lose it by the time I come back. I'm not that trusting in Government employees.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by FlinchbaughD View Post
    A friends recently asked me to go to the court house with her to file some paperwork. Has anyone had any experiences good or bad with checking a firearm at the court house?
    Always a good place to do business. The deputy who usually mans the desk is friendly and professional (and a stickler for details). Another thread can be found here:

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...use-check.html
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(York County)

Just a quick update for those headed to the courthouse to pickup or renew their LTCF. I went in today to renew and the sheriff has set up a separate office to the back right of the first floor just for people looking to carry. They are currently not doing renewals on the spot (no big deal).

As usual, the deputies manning the door were exceedingly professional. In fact, on my way out the door after re-holstering my firearm and putting my LTCF back in my wallet I thanked the gent for his professionalism, and he actually thanked me for carrying!

All said only ten minutes expired on my meter by the time I pulled away from the curb.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    Just a quick update for those headed to the courthouse to pickup or renew their LTCF. I went in today to renew and the sheriff has set up a separate office to the back right of the first floor just for people looking to carry. They are currently not doing renewals on the spot (no big deal).

As usual, the deputies manning the door were exceedingly professional. In fact, on my way out the door after re-holstering my firearm and putting my LTCF back in my wallet I thanked the gent for his professionalism, and he actually thanked me for carrying!

All said only ten minutes expired on my meter by the time I pulled away from the curb.
    Sounds like the same office as when my wife and I went in last year, back past the elevators, right? I had to go back the next day for mine then, which I don't mind, still a quick turnaround.

Do they have the credit card meters installed by the Courthouse yet?

Hate those...they expire when you leave so the next person can't use your unused time. I've parked for free so many times by "lucking out".
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    Sounds like the same office as when my wife and I went in last year, back past the elevators, right? I had to go back the next day for mine then, which I don't mind, still a quick turnaround.

Do they have the credit card meters installed by the Courthouse yet?

Hate those...they expire when you leave so the next person can't use your unused time. I've parked for free so many times by "lucking out".

Correct, back past the elevators on the right side.

I parked on the first block of West Philadelphia St., by Central Market. They've still got the old school meters, and the market has some good lunch vendors!

Thanks for the heads up - I just checked my email and it's good to go in under 24 hours!! They did note new hours of operation on my email:

Monday, Wednesday, Thursday 8AM until 4:30PM

Tuesday & Friday 8AM until 6PM

Saturdays 8AM until 2PM

We do have a great sheriff; I love York County!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast