Can anyone give me an educated guess on the value of a U.S. Springfield Armory, Model 1898 30-40 Krag rifle? The stock has been customized so not original,
First off . . . I'm a huge U.S. Krag rifle fan but historically, being of overt foreign design, that arm has always been sort of a bastard child of the Springfield Armory.

Sell Value for a well done bubba-rized Krag rifle? . . . If that's the question, then the answer is probably "Not much". Even in good economic times original condition Krags with crisp correctly marked stocks were never a hot commodity. As a sporting rifle round, the 30-40 is pretty much of an oddball. Does anybody still make ammunition?

Do know that a friend recently sold an excellent condition nice collectible grade Model 1896 Springfield Krag rifle with full inspector's cartouche and stock proof marks for $600. Meanwhile the guy across the street has a "sporterized" Model 1898 that he offered me for a couple of hundred bucks. It looks to be one of those old NRA cut down rifles. They did a very good job way back when and it looks much like a geniune Spam-Am war era Krag cavalry carbine.

With all that said, the Springfield Krag has without doubt the sweetest, smoothest bolt action probably ever made.