Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: before 9/11

(Delaware County)

Default before 9/11

Just before 9/11 I was in the back seat of a car heading home after a night out.. the driver blew a red light and we were pulled over.. the officer asked if there was anything in the car he should know about... I kept my mouth shut while having a CCW, a 45 on my back and a small 25 on my belt.. I did not want the 2 other guys I was with to know I had a permit and guns. And being is I was legal to have them and no threat to the officer. I did not feel the need to tell him.. the officer let the passenger go.. did not search him or anything.. he found the driver to be drinking, but with no test was going tgo let him go untill they told him they were keeping his car.. he flipped out, and they took him into custody.. when a different officer asked me out of the car, I handed him my CCW, put my hands on the car, told him where they were and that they were cocked and locked.. that officer thanked me for my honesty.. the cop that pulled us over flipped out... He had guns on him?? How come you did not tell me when I asked if anything was in the car... He did not even give me the chance to answer.. nudged himself infront of the other officer and put the cuffs on me and threw me in the back of the car. They put me in a holding cell for 7 hours, handed me a citation for public drinking and kicked me out of the door.. with a paper with my guns listed on it... In a bad neighborhood where I almost got my ass kicked just for walking thru it... Anyway.. I got a lawer, went to court.. got the public drinking charged dropped, but never got my guns back.. I'm about to purchase another gun. I know I will not have any problems being is I'm an upstanding man, no serious crimes ever, never brought up on felony charges or any violant crimes. I let my permit expire since I had no guns to carry and its been 10 years since that happened and have not had any problems since. I guess what I need to know is... How can they take my guns? They were legal, I was legal to carry and they were property that I paid for.. so I feel like they stole them from me.. was I in the wrong for not saying I had them? nobody ever contacted me either about getting them back.. is it too late to do anything about it? Do you think I will have any problems getting another permit since I let my last one expire? Any advise would be great... I'm in the burbs of Philadelphia if that helps any... Thanks guys.

Default Re: before 9/11

Were you in the same suburbs when this happened? This sounds like the M.O. of the PPD. AFAIK, there is no requirement to inform the cop that you were carrying. He probably could tell you had a LTCF if he ran your driver's license.

If you were charged with no other offenses than the one you mentioned, then I see no reason why they shouldn't have returned your firearms with you when you were released. The question is why didn't you try to get them back? If it was a Rolex instead of a pistol, and they kept it, how would you have dealt with it? Not trying to get on your case with the question... just honestly wondering. As for if it's too late to get them back, it's been over 10 years and they weren't evidence of any crimes so I can't almost 100% guarantee that they don't still have possession of them. Who knows what happened to them... it wouldn't surprise me if one of the cops took them home. As for what you can do about it, I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask. At least you can then get an official stance as to why they didn't return your property back then.

As long as you didn't have your LTCF revoked at that point and you have no other prohibited offenses on your record, there should be no reasons why you wouldn't be issued another carry license when you apply.

Quote Originally Posted by tacticalreload View Post
    As long as you didn't have your LTCF revoked at that point and you have no other prohibited offenses on your record, there should be no reasons why you wouldn't be issued another carry license when you apply.
    .. except the "character and reputation" clause. I would apply for the LTCF before investing in a nice carry weapon just in case.

Sounds like he had a very poor lawyer

(Delaware County)

I was still in the burbs.. darby to be exact... And I did go to delco court house a couple of days later to try to get them back.. maybe a couple of days was too early. But they basicly pushed me aside, took the paperwork the leo gave me, and I never heard anything back.. tried calling several times but did not want to look like a psyco trying to get guns back.. friends told me it was pointless.. they were probably distroyed... So I gave up... Even after 10 years I'm still pissed off about the whole thing.. I'm thinking race had something to do with it.. the driver was black, so was the leo... I was the skinny white kid with tats in the back seat.. I come to this conclusion since the driver was drunk and they were going to let him go.. the other passenger was of asian decent... The leo that thanked me for my honesty was white and seemed to be cool about the whole thing, but I'm thinking was lower in the ranks and really had no say... I even appoligized to the officer.. he said nothing, handed me the paperwork and made me walk home.. not even a phone call.. I just found this site about 2 hours ago.. I'm glad I found it.. its hard to find answers in awkward written laws.

(Delaware County)

Just before 9/11,,,,,,,,,,,,,, what year? 11 years ago? That's the 9/11 I remember. ........
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post
    Just before 9/11,,,,,,,,,,,,,, what year? 11 years ago? That's the 9/11 I remember. ........
    post above yours
    Even after 10 years I'm still pissed off about the whole thing..

(Delaware County)

9/11 happend in 2001... It was like 2 or 3 days before...... 10 years ago..

(Allegheny County)

Sorry to the op but i believe your chances to do anything about getting those guns back has long expired. As was mentioned above one of the officers probably put them among his private collection, and even if you attempted to go after the p.d. they would probably just claim that they had returned them. At that point its just ur word against theirs which is a battle u will most certainly(unfortunately) lose. Good luck and next time be sure to do whatever is necessary to defend your rights as soon as you can when you are treated so unjustly.
    When unholstering your sidearm it is customary to say: "Excuse me while i whip this out"

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Czap View Post
    Philadelphia

Well, there's yer problem!
    Hunting is NOT a 2nd Amendment Activity

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast