Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Chester county Sheriff

Was pleased that it only took 5 days to recieve my renewal in the mail BUT with that I also recied a letter that I don't agree with.

I was curious if anyone had sent Pa Patriots flyers and training memo to Ms. Welsh.I have the understanding without ever meeting her she is Pro Gun but perhaps mis informed?BTW sorry don't know how to enlarg it but if need can type it word for word.

Being I don't know how to black it out I erased it and will just type it thanks
    Last edited by craigc; June 28th, 2008 at 12:28 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Chester county Sheriff

I think, for everyones benefit, that it SHOULD be enlarged or typed so that we can see what is there... not that I dont trust you but who knows what is on that letter that you are talking about...

Again, no offense meant...

(Chester County)

You might also want to black out your License Number and address.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Chester County)

Dear Licensee;
    You have applied and have been granted a license to carry a concealed firearm as provided in the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act,section 6109.

Carrying a concealed firearm is A PRIVILEDGE and not a right.The issuing authority canrevoke this priviledge,should you abuse it or violate the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
    To the best of our knowledge you are a responsible and law-abiding resident of Cester County.As your Sheriff and issusing authority I feel a duty to offer some words of caution.
    1)Be familiar with the safe handling and care of your firearm.It is your responsibilty to read the manufacturers instructions of your firearm and to seek training if desired.The Sheriffs office recommends training from a certified instructor;how ever,it is not required by law.Visit www.NRA.org. for firearms trainging information:
    2)Do not create a situation,which could result in the revocation of your permit,such as OVERT and unnecessary display of your firearm.This could cause an adverse reaction by your fellow citizens.
    3)You should be aware of laws pertaining to the use of deadly force.Any improper or careless use of a firearm can expose you to criminal and/or civil liability.
    4)There are other states that honor the Pennsylvania license to carry a firearm,visit the Pennsylvania Attorney General's website for a current list www.attorneygeneral.gov.
    5)When you are not carrying your firearm you should store it unloaded,in a secure location,and out of reach of children.
    6)Never store your firearm in an unattended vehicle.You are responsible for your firearm and may be charged criminally and/or civilly for mishandling your firearm.
    7)Alcohol beverages,certain medications and controlled substances should not be taken when carrying your firearm.When carrying your firearm avoid locations where alcoholic beverages are being served.
    8)A concealed firearms permit does not confer law enforcement abilities.Anyone giving the false impression they are acting in a law enforcement capacity will be subject to immediate license revocation and criminal prosecution.
    9)YOU may not carry your firearm in any airport,courthouse,public or private school,federal property(Valley Forge Park,Social security office),historic landmark or any state or county park.

At all times use common sense and you will not abuse the responsibility that you have assumed by possesing a Concealed Firearms permit.

Carolyn B. Welsh
    Sheriff of chester county

(Chester County)

Maybe reading too much into it but OVERT and unecessary display pointing to OC?

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    Maybe reading too much into it but OVERT and unecessary display pointing to OC?
    Given the tone of the rest of the letter, which I found overall reasonable, and the rep for being a pro-gun sheriff, I would suggest that she is warning against brandishing, not necessarily OC.
    Last edited by JoeWilliams; June 28th, 2008 at 01:28 PM.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Chester County)

Dear Licensee;
    You have applied and have been granted a license to carry a concealed firearm as provided in the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act,section 6109.

Carrying a concealed firearm is A PRIVILEDGE and not a right.The issuing authority canrevoke this priviledge,should you abuse it or violate the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
    To the best of our knowledge you are a responsible and law-abiding resident of Cester County.As your Sheriff and issusing authority I feel a duty to offer some words of caution.
    1)Be familiar with the safe handling and care of your firearm.It is your responsibilty to read the manufacturers instructions of your firearm and to seek training if desired.The Sheriffs office recommends training from a certified instructor;how ever,it is not required by law.Visit www.NRA.org. for firearms trainging information:
    2)Do not create a situation,which could result in the revocation of your permit,such as OVERT and unnecessary display of your firearm.This could cause an adverse reaction by your fellow citizens.
    3)You should be aware of laws pertaining to the use of deadly force.Any improper or careless use of a firearm can expose you to criminal and/or civil liability.
    4)There are other states that honor the Pennsylvania license to carry a firearm,visit the Pennsylvania Attorney General's website for a current list www.attorneygeneral.gov.
    5)When you are not carrying your firearm you should store it unloaded,in a secure location,and out of reach of children.
    6)Never store your firearm in an unattended vehicle.You are responsible for your firearm and may be charged criminally and/or civilly for mishandling your firearm.
    7)Alcohol beverages,certain medications and controlled substances should not be taken when carrying your firearm.When carrying your firearm avoid locations where alcoholic beverages are being served.
    8)A concealed firearms permit does not confer law enforcement abilities.Anyone giving the false impression they are acting in a law enforcement capacity will be subject to immediate license revocation and criminal prosecution.
    9)YOU may not carry your firearm in any airport,courthouse,public or private school,federal property(Valley Forge Park,Social security office),historic landmark or any state or county park.

At all times use common sense and you will not abuse the responsibility that you have assumed by possesing a Concealed Firearms permit.

Carolyn B. Welsh
    I got the same letter when I got my Chester county permit. It is merely a CYA letter. I laughed at it tore it up and threw it away. It seems as if they do not want you to OC, but guess what it is my right and I will do it!!!

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Chester County)

Was pleased that it only took 5 days to recieve my renewal in the mail BUT with that I also recied a letter that I don't agree with.
    I was curious if anyone had sent Pa Patriots flyers and training memo to Ms. Welsh.I have the understanding without ever meeting her she is Pro Gun but perhaps mis informed?BTW sorry don't know how to enlarg it but if need can type it word for word.

Being I don't know how to black it out I erased it and will just type it thanks
    I don't see the letter you received as offensive in any way. It looks like a boiler plate memo reminding LTCF carriers that there are responsibilities that go along carrying a concealed weapon. A weak analogy would be the like the warning on plasic packaging that says "This is not a toy, keep away from kids, could result in suffication". She just signed off saying you're are a trustworthy citizen, here's a few things to consider to help you uphold your end of the bargain.

I've met Sheriff Welsh and my impression (and this is only my opinion) is that she wouldn't be comfortable be called pro-gun. She's pro-law, pro-rights, and pro-citizen. She does not reject LTCF applications for unfounded and/or speculative reasons, and would rather abide by the law by assuming innocense, than go on a power trip and force a citizen to hire lawyers to prove it.

In a nut shell, I think she is a great Sheriff, and is so with some very difficult areas within her jurisdiction. She respects others, and has earned other's respect. A couple of her deputies have been reported as rough around the edges, but every deputy I have ever met I had no problem with. The one and only issue I had with the department I talked to her staff about and it was resolved quickly with no hard feelings on either side. I don't think she needs a copy of the memo, nor do I think she would be offended if someone brought it to her and talked to her about it. I've seen how this was handled in past threads with setting up a meeting and discussing the information and I think (with nothing other to go on than gut feeling) she'd be open to such a meeting. If the material presents information in a way that benefits her department, she would most likely appreciate and use it. She seems the type that would be very receptive to the idea that the PAFOA is not an all-talk no-action site, and that the members here are as concerned with the law as she is, and have opened another avenue of communication with people who might not otherwise be aware of them.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

Dear Licensee;

Carolyn B. Welsh
    2. Open carry is legal. I don't agree with it in most circumstances, but it's legal. If she means brandishing, she should say it, even if it means defining the word.

6. Will someone then go into the post office for me? And what if I lock it up as well as some officers who have lost firearms from marked cruisers locked theirs up? What then?

9. Any airport? Any historic landmark? Any county park? State preemption? Hello? Hello?

Some of you may give her high personal marks, but letters like this make me think that certain LEAs believe that they can write street laws and enforce street justice above and beyond their lawful limitations.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    2. Open carry is legal. I don't agree with it in most circumstances, but it's legal. If she means brandishing, she should say it, even if it means defining the word.

6. Will someone then go into the post office for me? And what if I lock it up as well as some officers who have lost firearms from marked cruisers locked theirs up? What then?

9. Any airport? Any historic landmark? Any county park? State preemption? Hello? Hello?

Some of you may give her high personal marks, but letters like this make me think that certain LEAs believe that they can write street laws and enforce street justice above and beyond their lawful limitations.
    Agreed, I need to pay better attention. Even if this is boiler plate, if this is being distributed with the LTCF, it's the Sheriff's responsibility to clarify or remove ambiguous and inaccurate statements.
    Last edited by str8shooter; June 28th, 2008 at 01:58 PM.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast