Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default Getting thru Maryland???

OK, I've seen several threads here regarding gun laws, transportation of guns, etc. in the People's Republic of MD. I haven't seen anything regarding my particular scenario. If I've missed it I apologize. My situation is this; I live in So. Cent. PA and will be traveling to Tennessee via Rt. 81 So. My PA LTCF is good in Tennessee, Virgina, and W. Virginia...BUT I still have that short stretch of Rt. 81 through MD. Can I just stop at the last exit in PA, unload and lock my gun and ammo in the trunk (in separate containers), drive through MD and stop at the first exit in WVA and reverse everything? I really don't want to think about going far enough west to get into WVA, then come back east to catch 81 to go south again. What's my position, legally that is?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Getting thru Maryland???

Can I just stop at the last exit in PA, unload and lock my gun and ammo in the trunk (in separate containers), drive through MD and stop at the first exit in WVA and reverse everything?
    Short answer, yes.

http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/federal/read.aspx?id=60

Transporting Firearms During Travel

A provision of federal law serves as a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel.

Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Federal law prohibits the carrying of any firearm, concealed or unconcealed, on or about the person or in carry-on baggage while aboard an aircraft.The Transportation Security Administration(TSA) has established certain requirements for transporting firearms and ammunition. Firearms must be carried in a locked hard sided case. Ammunition must be declared and can be transported in checked baggage or in the same container as the firearm as long the firearm is unloaded.

Any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce must deliver the unloaded firearm into custody of the pilot, captain, conductor, or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by franklinman View Post
    OK, I've seen several threads here regarding gun laws, transportation of guns, etc. in the People's Republic of MD. I haven't seen anything regarding my particular scenario. If I've missed it I apologize. My situation is this; I live in So. Cent. PA and will be traveling to Tennessee via Rt. 81 So. My PA LTCF is good in Tennessee, Virgina, and W. Virginia...BUT I still have that short stretch of Rt. 81 through MD. Can I just stop at the last exit in PA, unload and lock my gun and ammo in the trunk (in separate containers), drive through MD and stop at the first exit in WVA and reverse everything? I really don't want to think about going far enough west to get into WVA, then come back east to catch 81 to go south again. What's my position, legally that is?
    YES. The Firearms Owners Protection Act. Will allow you to transport through any state as you described so long as your legal to posses in both your origin and destination.

I highly suggest you drive straight through, don't stop for anything.

(Bucks County)

Separate containers not technically necessary.

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

(Centre County)

That one section of MD is only 1 mile long, so I'll be in WVA before they even get a chance to flash their lights.

(York County)

It's a little longer than just a mile, but I do get your point... And I don't intend to stop anywhere in MD, let alone spend any of my money there if I can help it. Thanks very much everyone. I think I'll go ahead and print out the sections of the law referenced here just in case, along with the print out of the PA receiprocity listing from the state's website. Might not help but it can't hurt if the worst happens.

(Chester County)

IIRC, mags must be empty to be considered 'unloaded'.

(Centre County)

It's a little longer than just a mile, but I do get your point...
    True; the section at Hancock, MD is about 1.5 miles wide.

(Franklin County)

You can legally do what you stated, I do it all the time. I live in southern PA and own a rental property in WV. I travel through MD all the time and do just as you describe, except I dont seperate the ammo from the firearm. I place the unloaded firearm and ammo in the trunk. If Im driving my Jeep Wrangler or motorcycle (no trunk) I unload the firearm and lock it in a gun box and just lay the box on the passenger seat or in the tank bag.
    Soberbyker, technically, the information you quoted is not intirely accurate. According to the actual law, if you are in or on a vehicle with no seperate compartment you could carry the firearm on your person as long as the ammo is locked in a box. That being said, I wouldnt suggest driving or riding through MD with a firearm strapped on your side, its just asking for trouble and doesnt accomplish anything with the ammo locked away.

That section of 81 through MD is actually 12 miles long.
    Last edited by ray h; January 18th, 2012 at 02:21 AM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    You can legally do what you stated, I do it all the time. I live in southern PA and own a rental property in WV. I travel through MD all the time and do just as you describe, except I dont seperate the ammo from the firearm. I place the unloaded firearm and ammo in the trunk. If Im driving my Jeep Wrangler or motorcycle (no trunk) I unload the firearm and lock it in a gun box and just lay the box on the passenger seat or in the tank bag.
    Soberbyker, technically, the information you quoted is not intirely accurate. According to the actual law, if you are in or on a vehicle with no seperate compartment you could carry the firearm on your person as long as the ammo is locked in a box. That being said, I wouldnt suggest driving or riding through MD with a firearm strapped on your side, its just asking for trouble and doesnt accomplish anything with the ammo locked away.

That section of 81 through MD is actually 12 miles long.
    I'd like to see the statute that says that, every thing I've read says something to the effect of "In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console." I have a SUV, as such, no trunk, I do have a lock box in the rear where a trunk would be where my (unloaded) gun would go.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast