Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Delay in ability to purchase first rifle...upstate NY resident

Hey Everyone...

I know the laws for gun ownership are drastically different here in New York than in Pennsylvania, but I was wondering if anyone else could help me since my search for info keeps bringing up a thread on this forum.

Today I attempted to purchase my very first rifle, a 10/22 Ruger. I have two misdemeanors on my record, both for petit larceny and both a couple of years ago around similar times. I have no felony convictions, no violent crime. I do have some "ACD"'s on my record (action in contemplation of dismissal) which the court tends to use when it's not worth it to pursue. However, these are supposed to be fairly meaningless after 6 months of good behavior.

Getting to the point-as the clerk is doing the NICS check on me today, he tells me it's been delayed. Not denied, but delayed. I was told I could come back in 7 days if I don't hear anything further, though I should hear back fairly soon. Ok, fine. Confused, but fine.

So, where does it go from here? The clerk also told me that they usually go through (and just so you know, I did not put my social # down since it makes me nervous-I was reading that alone could do it) but what happens if I get denied? Does anyone out there have any resources for me? I guess I should wait and see, but I'm racking my brain as to why the damn thing was denied. What would cause that sort of response?

Well, thanks for reading through this and I would greatly appreciate any and all help!

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Delay in ability to purchase first rifle...upstate NY resident

If your name is a common one and you don't use your SSAN that will cause a delay so they can figure out which person by that name is you. Just to let you know the state already has your SSAN and a lot more about you. Your fear of giving out your SSAN is justified if you don't trust the dealer your dealing with. The government agenies that see that form already have access to your SSAN anytime they want it.

This just goes to show, when as a parent we say to our kids, keep your nose clean, be good, dont look for trouble... We can do all we want to try to keep our children safe, but in the end, you decide what you do in life, and what you do/did reflects what happens next.

Some peoples youth reflect what they can own, what they can do, even what sports or schools they can go to.

Some times we are guilty by association, and feel like we are a victim, but we chose who we went out with and what sutuations we exposed ourselves to more then we think.

Time is usually a healing factor, but if you have some records with the police they usually dont go away by themselves. You may need to contact a lawyer, see what can be done to clean up your record. We have members here who have had their records cleaned or expunged and they now realize what their freedom is. Freedom is some thing worth fighting for, it is also some thing worth being quiet for, it is some thing worth keeping.

Hope all goes well for you. Seen many people go straight but know they have a hitch in life holding them back. Best you can do is keep your nose clean now and hope the future is better for you.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Lebanon County)

About those ACD's, that's what they all say. I was on a first time offenders program in MD years ago and was told "Complete the program, your record will be clean".BS, I still get delays from time to time from that case from 1986. Sent BATFE paperwork from the courthouse, but it still screws up. I had to sick my Congressman on them to get my C&R license. But enough about me, Check out the BATFE website, and read up on NICS. If you are denied there is an appeals process, which will probably take forever. Usually if a dealer doesn't hear from BATFE in 3 days, they can complete the sale. That's up to the dealer though.

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    If your name is a common one and you don't use your SSAN that will cause a delay so they can figure out which person by that name is you. Just to let you know the state already has your SSAN and a lot more about you. Your fear of giving out your SSAN is justified if you don't trust the dealer your dealing with. The government agenies that see that form already have access to your SSAN anytime they want it.
    Oh, I know. The dealer is an employee of a chain sporting goods store who I don't know whatsoever so that's why I didn't put it down.