Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Re: African Dangerous Game and Big Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    They are lumped in to the big five because they are considered one of the top five most dangerous animals on the continent. I'd love to hunt lion, leopard and mountain lions regardless what the tree huggers feel because I make a living killing those too.
    You make a living killing tree huggers?
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Trees

yeah thats the way I read it too,
    Whats your preferred load for tree hugger?
    whats the season? and how do they taste?
    I would assume dry and bitter like trying to eat an old desert jackass, and full of parasites.
    Hey out of curiosity, where would a .444 marlin fit into the equation, It says "all north american big game" and I would assume grizz, Moose and elk fit into that realm, so most smaller than a rhino would fall into that animal size catagory

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Ehhhh. It's a living.

(Chester County)

I understand the need for thinning out a herd that is overpopulated, (i.e., it helps the species to survive and prosper). Or, donating harvested game to locals or charity for food. However, it's morally criminal to hunt big game such as an elephant, simply for sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    Ehhhh. It's a living.
    i guess they're not too hard to track, hugging those trees like a three toed sloth, but able to climb like a desert tortoise

(Cumberland County)

I owned a .500 a-square for years. It was definitely not a bench shooting gun! You stand to shoot them. At a little under $10 a shot, I sold it and I got a few more practical firearms. I got it in my "magnum or nothing" phase. It was a popular caliber in the late 80's for African game.

(Chester County)

If after "Pennlineman's" recommendations, you're still not sure what caliber you need, there's a "five pack" for sale:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gun...n_id=100859988

Ruger #1 Boddington African Adventure Series

Description:

In 2008, Ruger collaborated with noted outdoor writer Craig Boddington and Lipsey's on a special series of Number 1 rifles. The result was a limited edition five gun set that would share the same features and be chambered in different calibers optimized for Craig's favorite African species to hunt. All of the rifles in the set feature a matte blue finish, circassion walnut stock, Warne quick detach rings, and special express sights made specifically for each caliber by Ruger. There were 250 of each model made with each caliber having the same serial # with a different pre-fix.

The 375 Ruger Lion was the first rifle produced in the series and was built on the lighter Number 1S model for a quick handling, lighterweight, heavy caliber rifle. Falling Block Single Shot, 22" Barrel Circassion Walnut Stock, Matte Blue Finish, 1-in-12" Twist, Express Sights, Quarter Rib, 7.25 lbs., Alexander Henry Forend, Warne Quick Detach Rings

The 450/400 Nitro Express Buffalo was the second rifle produced in the series. These have the lighter contour Number 1H Tropical barrel. Falling Block Single Shot, 24" Barrel Circassion Walnut Stock, Matte Blue Finish, 1-in-15" Twist, Express Sights Quarter Rib 9 lbs., Alexander Henry Forend, Warne Quick Detach Rings

The 300 H&H Magnum Kudu was the third rifle produced in the series. This was the first Number 1 rifle chambered in this caliber and it is highly sought after. Falling Block Single Shot 26" Barrel, Circassion Walnut Stock, Matte Blue Finish, 1-in-10" Twist, Express Sights, Quarter Rib, 8 lbs., Alexander Henry Forend, Warne Quick Detach Rings

The 7X57mm Leopard was the fourth installment of the Boddington Series. Falling Block Single Shot, 22" Barrel, Circassion Walnut Stock, Matte Blue Finish, 1-in-8.75" Twist, Express Sights Quarter Rib, 7 lbs. Alexander Henry Forend, Warne Quick Detach Rings

The 450 Nitro Express Elephant model is the fifth and last installment of the Boddington Series. This rifle features the heavier contour Number 1H Tropical barrel. This is the first time Ruger has chambered this cartridge and it is a hammer! Falling Block Single Shot 24" Barrel, Circassion Walnut Stock, Matte Blue Finish, 1-in-15" Twist, Express Sights, Quarter Rib, 7.5 lbs., Alexander Henry Forend, Warne Quick Detach Rings
    Last edited by bamboomaster; September 2nd, 2017 at 07:27 PM.
    - bamboomaster

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    Trees
    Oops! My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    Whats your preferred load for tree hugger?
    whats the season? and how do they taste?
    I would assume dry and bitter like trying to eat an old desert jackass, and full of parasites.
    Older ones taste like patchouli and BO and are gnarly to chew on. Younger ones are soft and fattier, like veal, and taste like pomegranate vape juice.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    I understand the need for thinning out a herd that is overpopulated, (i.e., it helps the species to survive and prosper). Or, donating harvested game to locals or charity for food. However, it's morally criminal to hunt big game such as an elephant, simply for sport.
    Typically, they're one and the same. Large sources of free protein don't often go to waste in Africa.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast