Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Rifle Shipping Costs

Interstate shipment, so FFL to FFL.

Has anyone got a ballpark or past experience costs to ship a full size bolt gun?

Flying with the thing was stupid expensive, and driving would take to long.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

Default Re: Rifle Shipping Costs

I’ve shipped a lot of rifles, mostly big heavy bolt action surplus ones. $25.00 to $40.00 depending UPS on where it’s going and how much insurance you want.

It’s been about a year and a half since I shipped one though. UPS has a shipping calculator on their site just put in weight, size and the start and end destinations.

(Berks County)

UPS by weight and insurance amount. Around 10 pounds with $800 insurance would be around $30.

(Berks County)

Have you considered buying one when you get there and selling it when you leave?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lancaster County)

For some reason I had thought UPS charged extra for firearm shipping, dunno why. But looks like ground would be ~100 bucks, which is way cheaper/easier than checking it as baggage.

Would rather use my rifle/setup and or, not sure I can get one off the shelf setup/chambered like mine.

Next question, assuming I find a good FFL to ship to. When I go to pick up, I get a full NICs/4473 even though ownership never changed?

(Berks County)

$100 actually seems pretty high, but I'm assuming you used the UPS cost calculator.

I can't say 100%, but I don't see why there would be a 4473 because there is no transfer of ownership occurring.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    $100 actually seems pretty high, but I'm assuming you used the UPS cost calculator.

I can't say 100%, but I don't see why there would be a 4473 because there is no transfer of ownership occurring.
    20lb rifle, case and insurance, guess it adds up. Either way, still cheaper than flying lol

The FFL on the other side would want to verify that a straw purchase or interstate transfer didn't happen no?

(Beaver County)

A buddy just flew to my home in Florida on American and checked his rifle. It cost him $50 … that's a lot cheaper then shipping and I believe you WILL have cost of 4473 on both ends. I'm not 100% certain on that but I believe if an FFL accepts a shipment it must be logged into their books and logged back out. You could possible have shipping charge and then another $80 in transfer fees ($40 on each end - I just used $40 because that's what I pay for transfers, could be more or less). Not only cheaper but way less hassle and rifle never leaves you if you check as a bag IMHO.
    If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by V-MAN View Post
    A buddy just flew to my home in Florida on American and checked his rifle. It cost him $50 … that's a lot cheaper then shipping and I believe you WILL have cost of 4473 on both ends. I'm not 100% certain on that but I believe if an FFL accepts a shipment it must be logged into their books and logged back out. You could possible have shipping charge and then another $80 in transfer fees ($40 on each end - I just used $40 because that's what I pay for transfers, could be more or less). Not only cheaper but way less hassle and rifle never leaves you if you check as a bag IMHO.
    My rifle without a case is close to 50in long so already in the oversize case, which AA charges $200 for one way...

(Wyoming County)

I'm not the expert here and I hope someone will be along to clarify or correct what I'm about to say if I get it wrong.

As I understand it- There is no legal requirement to have a FFL involved if you are shipping to yourself (other than what shippers may require as SOP).

You can ARRANGE to ship somewhere addressed to yourself with instructions that it not be opened (*There is no transfer). If you don't have a friend to ship to then you may have to make arrangements with a FFL with the same instructions.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast