Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Re: good 1911 for $600?

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Absolutely. I'm only using the Asian guns as a reference.

mac
    That's a good reference since the RIA's offer excellent operation at a price no one can meet, of course if you can live without the prestige the RIA doesn't have.

You can look at the SR and tell it will have no trouble with HP's. Haven't seen the Remington, but two tests I read on it states the feed ramp is polished and contoured to feed bullets "that are not round nosed", according to the dude behind the trigger. Been a while since I read it so I don't remember where it was.
    That's great to hear, so those two pistols will do everything I need them to do.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    That's a good reference since the RIA's offer excellent operation at a price no one can meet, of course if you can live without the prestige the RIA doesn't have.

That's great to hear, so those two pistols will do everything I need them to do.
    Heh, heh...You got that right. Prestige wasn't in the plans, for sure...

On the Remy under the "initial observations" section:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/remington_...first_look.htm
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Pike County)

Heh, heh...You got that right. Prestige wasn't in the plans, for sure...

On the Remy under the "initial observations" section:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/remington_...first_look.htm
    That was a good review, it's too bad they didn't get into the test firing the R1.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    That was a good review, it's too bad they didn't get into the test firing the R1.
    These guys are pretty thorough. Just remembered where I read it.

http://www.gunblast.com/Remington-R1.htm

(Bucks County)

Just got back from the range with my RIA Tactical. I don't believe I tried JHP's in it before today, but after reading some of this thread, I decided I should know if it will be a problem with the gun. It wasn't. Fed perfectly, ejected perfectly. These JHP's were a bit warmer than my lead SWC's I reload for it, so an upgraded recoil spring would benefit it if I were inclined to carry it with the JHP's.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparxfly72 View Post
    Just . These JHP's were a bit warmer than my lead SWC's I reload for it, so an upgraded recoil spring would benefit it if I were inclined to carry it with the JHP's.
    What kind? I am close to getting my RIA commanders back together. Heck, I never even fired them before I took them apart. Oh well.

Just got back from the range with my RIA Tactical. I don't believe I tried JHP's in it before today, but after reading some of this thread, I decided I should know if it will be a problem with the gun. It wasn't. Fed perfectly, ejected perfectly. These JHP's were a bit warmer than my lead SWC's I reload for it, so an upgraded recoil spring would benefit it if I were inclined to carry it with the JHP's.
    Switching to a higher resistance action spring is not going to dampen recoil any better then the standard one you have in the RIA tac, but will produce a significant amount of excessive battering to the slide stop pin and lower barrel lugs, it also might change the timing and the side might get ahead of the magazine spring causing FTF.

JMB did not design the action spring as a recoil dampening devise, but as a devise to extract a fresh round from the magazine and chamber it.
    Last edited by Cuba; June 9th, 2012 at 07:16 PM.

(Bucks County)

What kind? I am close to getting my RIA commanders back together. Heck, I never even fired them before I took them apart. Oh well.
    What kind of JHP's? If that's what you're asking they are Remington 230gr JHP. The way they recoiled, it almost seemed like they were +p ' s. Now, maybe I am just used to shooting reloads, and I don't load them to the limits, but rather the opposite..just enough to cycle the slide and accuracy is good. My hand was almost stinging after 8 rounds. My recently sold Sig P220 handled the same rounds better, but then it wouldn't cycle the same loaded SWC's very well, I needed to load them a bit warmer for consistent cycling.

What kind of JHP's? If that's what you're asking they are Remington 230gr JHP. The way they recoiled, it almost seemed like they were +p ' s. Now, maybe I am just used to shooting reloads, and I don't load them to the limits, but rather the opposite..just enough to cycle the slide and accuracy is good. My hand was almost stinging after 8 rounds. My recently sold Sig P220 handled the same rounds better, but then it wouldn't cycle the same loaded SWC's very well, I needed to load them a bit warmer for consistent cycling.
    Should be the standard 16 lb spring. 18 is as much as I (if it were me) would go if it is slamming at the rear. You can also try a recoil buffer pad (they are cheap and easy to put in) that will take a tic of the ramming effect away. I use recoil buffers and am very happy with them, especially since I make them my self (out of plastic milk jugs).

My Sam only shots certain kinds of JHP, it has a problem with the flatter more open type JHPs like the CCi 200 grain flying ash trays (that the Colt likes). But it does shoot the more 230 fmj profile JHPs well. Like Remington 230jhp, Power ball and relaods 230 jhp hornadys.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast