Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Exclamation An Officer’s Firsthand Account of the Utah Active Shooter Incident

http://www.policeone.com/policemarksman/32-2/1676837/

By PoliceOne Exclusive

By now, the February 12, 2007, incident involving 18-year-old gunman Sulejman Talovic, who opened fire in a Salt Lake City mall, killing five people and wounding four, has become alarmingly familiar, one in a growing number of active shooter incidents in the U.S. At the heart of this incident is Master Officer Kenneth Hammond, 33, of the Ogden, Utah Police Department. Ken was off-duty that night enjoying a Valentine’s Day dinner at a mall restaurant with his pregnant wife, Sarita. Little did he know the events of that evening would thrust him both into the line-of-fire and the national media limelight, standing as a heroic example of the extraordinary risks officers take—even off-duty—to keep the public safe.

In an exclusive interview with PoliceOne.com, Ken shared his firsthand account of the incident, revealing his off-duty survival tactics—each thought, instinct and action—that saved countless lives that night. His experience stands as a real-life reminder that at anytime, in any location you may be called into action, so be sure you’re trained and ready. In his six years with Ogden PD, Ken had never been involved in a shooting. Still, he was disciplined about carrying an off-duty weapon, a .45-caliber handgun that he keeps just outside his belt in a pancake holster concealed by his shirt. The night of February 12th was no exception. Before heading out with his wife for dinner and an overnight stay at a local bed and breakfast, he holstered his Kimber .45 and set out wearing jeans and a long-sleeved shirt.

continued at link...
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Bucks County)

Default Re: An Officer’s Firsthand Account of the Utah Active Shooter Incident

THis is a well written and very involving article. Thanks for the link.

(Chester County)

Good read. Makes me wonder though how an armed citizen would have identified himself to responding police. It would be easy to be mistakenly labeled a "hostile."
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

(Bucks County)

I was wondering exactly that.

Been there done that, clear your weapon, prepare to go to the ground while they try sort it out. Do not expect to be treated like a hero, more like the bad guy. No complaint would have done the samething.
    Phill
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

An excellent, very well-written article about a true hero.

One thing that comes to mind though, the off duty cop was yelling "Off-duty OPD! Off-duty OPD!" which of course refers to Ogden Police Department.

I know he was trying to identify himself as a good guy, but how many civilians would know that in fact he meant he was an off-duty Ogden Police Department officer...especially in another city (Salt Lake City)...by saying "OPD". Brother LEOs from other depts would recognize this, but the average citizen might take a while to realize who he was.

Not taking anything away from this fine officer and I realize it had to be a tense situation, just
    thinking.

(Dauphin County)

video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVk1Ooclw1Q

Although I would bet money if he was Joe Citizen with a LCTF he would be been charged with attempted murder or something or had his LTCF taken away because his life was not directly in danger or some BS like that. Even though he did everyone in the build a great service. Deserves a promotion.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by crakkajakka15 View Post
    video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVk1Ooclw1Q

Although I would bet money if he was Joe Citizen with a LCTF he would be been charged with attempted murder or something or had his LTCF taken away because his life was not directly in danger or some BS like that. Even though he did everyone in the build a great service. Deserves a promotion.
    Pure conjecture, you should stick to the facts.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    Pure conjecture, you should stick to the facts.
    The facts are the facts, im not trying to down play his great public service, but if it was a regular citizen I highly doubt you can shoot at someone when your life is not in danger, He had time to evade and retreat and leave the situation, he was on a different floor. So walking down to confront a person that isnt a immediate threat to your life when you have time to retreat.....well i guess you would have to sort those details out with District prosecutor. Not a situation I would want to be in.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by crakkajakka15 View Post
    The facts are the facts, im not trying to down play his great public service, but if it was a regular citizen I highly doubt you can shoot at someone when your life is not in danger, He had time to evade and retreat and leave the situation, he was on a different floor. So walking down to confront a person that isnt a immediate threat to your life when you have time to retreat.....well i guess you would have to sort those details out with District prosecutor. Not a situation I would want to be in.
    As a Pa citizen you can use leathal force to stop a deadly threat to someone other than yourself. You have no legal obligation to do so, but you can do it. Identifying yourself to the police when they arrive could be a problem. Suggestion, carry a gun, carry a cell phone.