Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Could Have Been a Bad Day for My Pistol

So I'm at the range yesterday, hanging out, shooting .22 and my XD9. I pull a round out of a box of WWB and look down and guess what I see?

Pretty cool eh? Not... I usually give any ammo I put in my gun a cursory once over, just to make sure everything looks ok. (Extra careful about looking over carry ammo). Yesterday it was starting to rain and I was in a hurry and I'm glad I still glanced at this round... I don't know what would have happened if I had actually managed to chamber it. Glad I didn't though.

Anyone seen this before in factory ammo? I'd send Winchester a pic, but their contact info is damn near impossible to find (on purpose?). Once I found it the link was broken, so it's either snail mail or call them. Is it worth bothering? Or are they just going to tell me tough luck? Either way, here's another angle for your enjoyment.

Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Could Have Been a Bad Day for My Pistol

Call Winchester... I just sent back about 900 rds of Federal due to shitty brass in a lot I had (cracked empty casings), and they took it back on their dime, and should have new ammo shipped to me by next week...

I don't think that round would have chambered anyhow, but still...

Call Winchester (email replies can be tough to come by, IME)... They will make it right somehow... I would think...

Regards,

Bones

(Luzerne County)

Last summer I picked up my very first Glock, a 19. Off to the range to break it in with some WWB and about 50 rounds into having fun it locked up tight. I got it open buy pounding the slide against the bench and when I examined the round I found one almost just like it. Unfortunately this can happen from time to time and it was the only round in the box (value pack).

(York County)

I am not an expert, I do reload though and I would be willing to bet that you and your gun would have been ok, had this round chambered and fired.

When the pressure builds, about 2/3rds of the case expands to seal the chamber, from the looks of your round, only about 1/3 of the case was compromised. So I would think that pressures, and cycling would be relatively normal.

Again, JMO and in no way am I telling you to try it out or anything. Just trying to ease your mind.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Delaware County)

I always use WWB in my M&P9 at the range I guess I better inspect them thoroughly before loading my mags.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by wally36 View Post
    I always use WWB in my M&P9 at the range I guess I better inspect them thoroughly before loading my mags.
    ^^^^this!

to the OP, thanks for posting this, I'm going to be more careful next time I'm at the range. I put entirely too much faith in manufactured ammo and seldom ever check. Then again, I usually hand load and grab the whole front of the round when I do so I would hope that I would feel something like that, but since I got a Mag Lula recently I'm going to have to check now.
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; June 18th, 2010 at 09:54 AM.

You wouldn't and don't expect it but this is proof it does happen. I wonder if its that Monday or Wenesday thing talked about in the Auto Industry?

I'm going start checking my factory ammo more careful also. I agree with the others that round would not load.

(York County)

You should stop shooting that cheap ammo and buy some federal. I remember seeing somewhere you can buy the good stuff as cheap or cheaper than WWB........

Never saw that happen before though. Hopefully Winchester will send him a replacement round.

(Montgomery County)

Never saw a new round that looked like that. Wonder if they have a different process to load the cheaper plinking rounds versus the SD and higher-end stuff. My guess would be yes.

I had about three rounds of .380 PMC plinker grade ammo that had bullets set back too far. One of them was WAY back and would probably cause significantly higher pressure. It's well worth the extra time to inspect any and all ammo you plan to shoot.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post
    I am not an expert, I do reload though and I would be willing to bet that you and your gun would have been ok, had this round chambered and fired.

When the pressure builds, about 2/3rds of the case expands to seal the chamber, from the looks of your round, only about 1/3 of the case was compromised. So I would think that pressures, and cycling would be relatively normal.

Again, JMO and in no way am I telling you to try it out or anything. Just trying to ease your mind.
    I agree, it probably could be fired, but I assure you I am not going to try.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast