Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: CB Radio

Default Re: CB Radio

Quote Originally Posted by wa3ra View Post
    Norm, best antenna hands down is a 109"whip.

This (above). The 102" whip (unadulterated 1/4 wave vertical whip) is the one to beat. I've done it† but the antenna I made was only a little better, and didn't require a ground connection or ground plane like the end-fed 102" whip (it was a center fed dipole).

I had a 102" whip on my old truck, I could easily hold a conversation 5 miles over flat terrain. It might have been further, but I know it would do 5 miles, Radio was an unmodified Cobra @ 4 watts. As plain and boring as they come, but it worked.

† we have
    really high end antenna test gear @ work
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Lancaster County)

Are there still any radio shops in Lancaster/York/Reading? I'm looking to get a base scanner antenna and a length of RG8U. I saw someone mention about a place on 222, but they didn't post the name.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Are there still any radio shops in Lancaster/York/Reading? I'm looking to get a base scanner antenna and a length of RG8U. I saw someone mention about a place on 222, but they didn't post the name.
    Can't remember if there is a radio shop in the 222 truck stop in Ephrata or not been a long time since I was in there. Dont care for R & R in DE they did me wrong a few years ago. The last place I went to was the raidio shop off exit 18 on 295 in NJ. The only other place and I'm pretty sure someone told me he's gone, but there used to be one at the truck stop in Fogglesville that we used to stop at going into Ameri cold, but I haven't been up that way in over 10 years

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by myblacktruck View Post
    Can't remember if there is a radio shop in the 222 truck stop in Ephrata or not been a long time since I was in there. Dont care for R & R in DE they did me wrong a few years ago. The last place I went to was the raidio shop off exit 18 on 295 in NJ. The only other place and I'm pretty sure someone told me he's gone, but there used to be one at the truck stop in Fogglesville that we used to stop at going into Ameri cold, but I haven't been up that way in over 10 years
    You haven't been around for a while. The Truckstop in ephrata was done torn down last year.

(Bucks County)

You haven't been around for a while. The Truckstop in ephrata was done torn down last year.
    I gotta start getting out a little more.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by myblacktruck View Post
    I gotta start getting out a little more.
    The repair shop that was behind it, as far as I know is still there. But the entire structure in front beside where White's Exxon was demolished and they built something else. Don't recall what it is, but it's not a truckstop.

What are you looking for? To buy, tune, ...?

You can buy antennas online, 50Ω coax is also online. Radio Shack sells both but they dropped the 102" whips a while ago. Soberbyker is probably more up to date as far as hands-on with the present generation of radios & antennas.

RG8U is bigger, like about 10mm. For 4-5 watts @ 10 meters (CB band), you should be able to get away with RG-8X (dia= 1/4") or 58U (0.195"). Unless it's a long run or you might be diplexing a higher frequency into the same line, the smaller stuff should be okay.

The biggest challenge you'll face is waterproofing the PL259/SO239 connection at the antenna.

PM me if you need tuning.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    What are you looking for? To buy, tune, ...?

You can buy antennas online, 50Ω coax is also online. Radio Shack sells both but they dropped the 102" whips a while ago. Soberbyker is probably more up to date as far as hands-on with the present generation of radios & antennas.

RG8U is bigger, like about 10mm. For 4-5 watts @ 10 meters (CB band), you should be able to get away with RG-8X (dia= 1/4") or 58U (0.195"). Unless it's a long run or you might be diplexing a higher frequency into the same line, the smaller stuff should be okay.

The biggest challenge you'll face is waterproofing the PL259/SO239 connection at the antenna.

PM me if you need tuning.
    Not tuning anything. Just want to put a nice scanner antenna on the roof. Want to use RG8U because of the run that I would need to get to where the scanner is located. Waterproofing the connectors isn't the problem, I have all of that stuff already on hand here.

Ah, missed this detail. Yep, you need the good stuff. I use leftover air-core heliax for those applications. Works like a champ.

Have you considered a diskcone antenna, or is there a specific frequency or band of interest?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    Ah, missed this detail. Yep, you need the good stuff. I use leftover air-core heliax for those applications. Works like a champ.

Have you considered a diskcone antenna, or is there a specific frequency or band of interest?
    Probably going to get a discone. Just haven't picked one up yet.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast