Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Wife got pulled over today...

Totally her fault, going almost 50 in a 25, and the guy let her go. I guess being young and pretty gets you somewhere in life.

Now, the reason why this is being posted in a gun forum...

Havertown PD officer asked her if she was carrying, because "her license to carry came up on record."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but A the cop isn't supposed to ask and B she didn't have to answer... and C, the LTCF is not supposed to show up "on record" by the police.

Am I just imagining all that?

She was not carrying (works as a teacher) and played ball with the officer, which may be why he let her go, but I'm kinda mad as Hell about the whole questioning and on record nonsense.

Thoughts?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Wife got pulled over today...

No sense in being mad about the questioning. It is a lawful tactic to see if they can find out about any other crimes. The person who was stopped has the right to remain silent.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Cumberland County)

I don't think the OP is concerned about the question on face value. It's the "her license to carry came up on record" part that is the concern. Are "beat cops" supposed to have access to LTCF data?
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Philadelphia County)

I seem to recall a thread about this that was posted a few months ago....whether or not the police have access to a person's LTCF information.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(York County)

Red face Re: Wife got pulled over today...

Someone must be tapping your phone and overheard a conversation about guns!!!!!! Oh wait, that's our president! HAHAHA (Hope everyone has a sense of humor today!!)

(Allegheny County)

They can ask anything they want. Whether you are required to answer is another matter.

The whole "can they see if you have a LTCF on their computer" thing is a common question and I don't recall a straightforward answer.
    Maybe some can and some can't?

I'm more upset that he let someone slide for driving that fast in a 25 MPH zone.
    I won't say anything more about that at this time.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    I don't think the OP is concerned about the question on face value. It's the "her license to carry came up on record" part that is the concern. Are "beat cops" supposed to have access to LTCF data?
    Access to = yes, to confirm validity of a LTCF.

As for it coming up automatically - that is open for debate.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Luzerne County)

The officer can ask any question he wants, doesn't mean it has to be answered.

The LTCF's were showing up on MDT's or the dispatcher was automatically notifying the officer via the radio. However, several weeks ago Luzerne County stopped this process unless the officer requested a check to be made for a LTCF.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by turkeyduster View Post
    Someone must be tapping your phone and overheard a conversation about guns!!!!!! Oh wait, that's our president! HAHAHA (Hope everyone has a sense of humor today!!)
    I think he said "wiretap" and that's about as old school as it gets.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    They can ask anything they want. Whether you are required to answer is another matter.

The whole "can they see if you have a LTCF on their computer" thing is a common question and I don't recall a straightforward answer.
    Maybe some can and some can't?

I'm more upset that he let someone slide for driving that fast in a 25 MPH zone.
    I won't say anything more about that at this time.
    She has a habit of being more honest than she has any reason to, and I think that's what got her off. She told the officer she thought it was a 35, so 45 was only 10 over, was running late, blah blah.

She also volunteered the fact that I keep a lock box under the seat in the case I have to leave a pistol in a vehicle, in short we have some conversations to have at home.

Thanks all, I thought that Philly lost a lawsuit for forcing people to answer about being armed and felt that the officer going right to "you have an LTCF on file" was a bit much. I've been pulled over a few times my self, all whilst armed, and never once did the subject even come up...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast