Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Re: FCC after your BaoFeng!

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I can't hardly cipher a thing you guys are saying here but...how does this affect my Garmin Rhino's?They are two way FRS/GMRS radios/GPS units.
    Wish this more simple answer, but the answer is, it depends. If they are the older Rhino 120 or 130, they are no longer authorized, since they support encryption, the newer models, well they're compliment so it has no impact. If you DO have the older models, no one will be going door to door for confiscation, and if you never use the encryption feature, I doubt anyone will notice what model they are.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    Wish this more simple answer, but the answer is, it depends. If they are the older Rhino 120 or 130, they are no longer authorized, since they support encryption, the newer models, well they're compliment so it has no impact. If you DO have the older models, no one will be going door to door for confiscation, and if you never use the encryption feature, I doubt anyone will notice what model they are.
    When you speak of encryption - are you referring to the "CTCSS" codes? As I understand these codes, they are merely a "Filter". Simply turning them off allows all transmissions to be monitored.

I'm an incredible NEWB KNOW NOTHING but I'm surprised to hear that there were handheld FRS that had true encryption?
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    When you speak of encryption - are you referring to the "CTCSS" codes? As I understand these codes, they are merely a "Filter". Simply turning them off allows all transmissions to be monitored.

I'm an incredible NEWB KNOW NOTHING but I'm surprised to hear that there were handheld FRS that had true encryption?
    No I'm not talking CTCSS/ Privacy tones, etc. These supported (if my memory is correct) the Motorola Encryption. While none of these are unique encryption keys (any one supporting the protocol can monitor) it is a true encryption (weak as it is) that can not be monitored by other radios (with out the protocol). They advertised this a "Voice Scrambler" "voice scrambler for extra security when communicating with other users of the same model. "

(Dauphin County)

It's funny, I just found out about the FCC's tech bulletin a little over a week ago, bought another Baofeng, and started studying for the written test. I just took my Technician's License test on Saturday morning, and I just received my license and station call sign- KC3MFY- via email.

I also found out that the release of the tech bulletin was a "mistake" and that it won't be upheld or enforced. And no, I never thought the FCC was going to confiscate all the Baofengs, but keeping them from being imported is a ban on them in itself.

I've learned quite a bit in the last week and a half or so, and decided to make my latest Baofeng acquisition into a base unit. I've been reading up on fixed antennas, found a suitable location on my roof (the chimney) and a way to get some RG-58 up to it. I'm still a little shakey on the "reverse female" SMA antenna end to BNC connector, and whatever I'm going to need to attach to the antenna itself. Luckily there is a ton of information about this on the AARL website.

I don't have much to say, but at least now I'm legal to transmit it.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by gun-bunny View Post
    It's funny, I just found out about the FCC's tech bulletin a little over a week ago, bought another Baofeng, and started studying for the written test. I just took my Technician's License test on Saturday morning, and I just received my license and station call sign- KC3MFY- via email.

I also found out that the release of the tech bulletin was a "mistake" and that it won't be upheld or enforced. And no, I never thought the FCC was going to confiscate all the Baofengs, but keeping them from being imported is a ban on them in itself.

I've learned quite a bit in the last week and a half or so, and decided to make my latest Baofeng acquisition into a base unit. I've been reading up on fixed antennas, found a suitable location on my roof (the chimney) and a way to get some RG-58 up to it. I'm still a little shakey on the "reverse female" SMA antenna end to BNC connector, and whatever I'm going to need to attach to the antenna itself. Luckily there is a ton of information about this on the AARL website.

Tested with Dave at LVSRA? You had your call in time, should have joined the 315 net last night. Now that you can transmit, get radio active, so you know HOW to use and troubleshoot as well as who to talk to when things go south.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by gun-bunny View Post

Congratulations on getting your license. Most antennas will use PL-259 conectors. Pre-made cables, adapters and adapter cables are readily available online. I would suggest getting a cable with PL-259's on both ends and using a small adapter cable to get to the Baofeng. It's way better than trying to mess with larger cable directly on the little radio. If you ever get into Wilmington, DE, Ham Radio Outlet always has something that you can make work. They also have a website and will ship anything you need. DX Engineering is another good site.

Enjoy your new toy!
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Philadelphia County)

Baofeng's do not make good base units. When a good antenna is attached to them, the front end overloads too easily and desenses. Also don't use RG-58. Losses are too high on any run over 25' on VHF/UHF. RG-8U is better, 9913 better still.

That said, it's a start. Once the antenna is in place, you can always attach a better radio.

Congrat's on getting your license. Have fun.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

(Lebanon County)

For those interested in getting a license, There are several HAM "Boot camps" between now and the end of the year, this weekend (too late for signup there's one in Halifax, but these three are still open:

• Nov 3/ 4 Denver PA (RED ROSE)
    • Nov 17/18 Dallastown (KVHF)
    • Dec 15/16 Newberry PA

PM me and I'll set you up with the organizer. These Free to attend technician (entry) level, you don't talk about radios you don't see or touch them, you are taught what is required to pass the test, which is given the afternoon of the second day. Once you have your "ticket" that's when the learning starts.

Wish this more simple answer, but the answer is, it depends. If they are the older Rhino 120 or 130, they are no longer authorized, since they support encryption,
    The government is against privacy?

(Montgomery County)

For those interested in getting a license, There are several HAM "Boot camps" between now and the end of the year, this weekend (too late for signup there's one in Halifax, but these three are still open:

• Nov 3/ 4 Denver PA (RED ROSE)
    • Nov 17/18 Dallastown (KVHF)
    • Dec 15/16 Newberry PA

PM me and I'll set you up with the organizer. These Free to attend technician (entry) level, you don't talk about radios you don't see or touch them, you are taught what is required to pass the test, which is given the afternoon of the second day. Once you have your "ticket" that's when the learning starts.
    I was just listening to two guys taking about the upcoming Red Rose test. I was hearing them through the WB2CMN repeater.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast