Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Venango County)

Default Probation Officer Authority??

Sorry if this has been addressed before, I did a search but came up empty.

My question is this: What authority does a probation officer have over people who are not on probation?

I know they have "god like" authority over their little lambs, but what about us upstanding members of society?

The reason I ask is this morning I stopped at the Sheetz in Franklin for coffee. As I was leaving two probby officers were giving me the stink eye. I'm just wondering if they try giving me shit if I can tell them to pound salt in their asses and walk away.

Edit: Forgot to add that I was Open carrying.
    Last edited by spooter66; July 7th, 2011 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Added open carry.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Probation Officer Authority??

How did you know they were probation officers?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lawrence County)

I would go the pound salt option... A probation officer is NOT a LEO. They are very restricted in what they can do... Now, that being said, they can act like total jerks, as most POs are that I have ever encountered. There are some good POs out there, but it seems 96% of them I've met are really bullies that couldn't find another job with their level of "people skills"...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by spooter66 View Post
    My question is this: What authority does a probation officer have over people who are not on probation?

I'm just wondering if they try giving me shit if I can tell them to pound salt in their asses and walk away.
    None. They are normal citizens like you and me.

Tell them to pound sand (or salt).

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

Quote Originally Posted by theo View Post
    None. They are normal citizens like you and me.

Tell them to pound sand (or salt).

This is correct from my understanding. But instead of pounding on them, just completely ignore them. It makes those who believe they have power crazy when some of us recognize they have none.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

ignore them just as you would any other ass hat with an attitude. when you are carrying open or concealed you need to be immune to less then lethal threats. seems as if you have a bone to pick. maybe im wrong but in my day to day unless i am engaged in my daily business i dont give a thought to what others may think or feel about what i do/say or how i conduct myself. you, by recognizing them validate them.

so it would seem by even mentioning it here you ask for it from them and also for validation of your immature notions from us. man up dude. conduct!
    Last edited by ruggerio; July 7th, 2011 at 06:50 PM.
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ruggerio View Post
    ignore them just as you would any other ass hat with an attitude. when you are carrying open or concealed you need to be immune to less then lethal threats. seems as if you have a bone to pick. maybe im wrong but in my day to day unless i am engaged in my daily business i dont give a thought to what others may think or feel about what i do/say or how i conduct myself. you, by recognizing them validate them.

so it would seem by even mentioning it here you ask for it from them and also for validation of your immature notions from us. man up dude. conduct!
    The only immature notions I see are contained in your post. The OP asked a reasonable and valid question.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by spooter66 View Post
    Sorry if this has been addressed before, I did a search but came up empty.

I know they have "god like" authority over their little lambs, but what about us upstanding members of society?

The reason I ask is this morning I stopped at the Sheetz in Franklin for coffee. As I was leaving two probby officers were giving me the stink eye. I'm just wondering if they try giving me shit if I can tell them to pound salt in their asses and walk away.
    There is no immaturity in asking a question to which you have no answer. If we failed to ask questions, no matter how obvious the answer may be to someone else, we would never learn anything.

Yes, you can tell them to pound sand, go to hell, or whatever you want. If you are not one of their charges, you have nothing to fear. Most PO's are wannabe cops who couldn't fully realize their dream, so they try to act like badass LEOs. And yes, the vast majority I have ever seen are jerks.

(Jefferson County)

The only additional power they have is to police the folks on probation/parole. Other than that they have no more powers of arrest as you, I, or the sheriff.

However, should the probation/parole officer also be a full LEO, just doing the PO work on the side, then they might have additional arrest powers. But even at that, if you are lawfully carrying and aren't breaking any other laws - you can pretty much tell any LEO to go pound sand.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast