Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Considering a 1911

I am considering a 1911 for my currently small child, to be given after turning 21. There is more backstory, that is all you get (:

I have 10 Colt 45 ACP magazines (2 new in packaging) that are partially driving this decision. They are all shiny, like nickel or stainless. On the bottom of one, it says, "Colt 45 Auto 8-RD", the rest say "Colt 45 Auto".

Open to suggestions for a full-size 1911 compatible (mechanically and aesthetically) with these magazines. Budget is $2000, max. No interest in Glocks or plastic (polycarbonate, whatever) guns. Want a more classic look.

If it matters, I will likely get it engraved with a rather personal message, killing any "collector value".

Last edited by free; May 17th, 2024 at 09:34 PM.

(Elk County)

Default Re: Considering a 1911

I strongly recommend a Dan Wesson 1911, and in particular a "Commander" configuration with the bobbed rear bottom of the grip:

I currently own four DW 1911s in 9mm, 38 Super, and 45 ACP (2 in the latter). Two of the four are bobbed Commanders. The Commander uses full-size 1911 magazines, either 7rd or 8rd as you already have. The DWs are available either with steel or alloy frames, and the latter are nicer for carry. Two of mine are alloy, two are steel.

DW 1911s have superbly tuned triggers, and all have registered between 3.9 and 4.2 lbF on my Lyman digital trigger pull gauge which I verify from time to time with accredited calibrated check masses at work. The triggers have zero creep or stacking, hence the sight picture does not change when the hammer falls, and the guns are remarkably accurate. That's why all all the Colts but three, the Springfield Armorys, and the Rock Island 1911s all went down the road. When I take friends to the range, they post equivalent results and come away impressed with 1911s and DWs in particular. Shop around, and you may find factory "blem" DWs for less than a non-blem identical model. I have three blems, and I could not find the defects.

JMO and experience,

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Open to suggestions for a full-size 1911 compatible (mechanically and aesthetically) with these magazines.
    Every poster will suggest something different, because that is what THEY have and they think it's the best.

Btw... Springfield Armory, Range Officer.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Every poster will suggest something different, because that is what THEY have and they think it's the best.
    That's pretty much the idea (:

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    That's pretty much the idea (:
    Exactly... you don't give a shit about anyone's suggestions.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Exactly... you don't give a shit about anyone's suggestions.
    uh.......ok. Thanks for your input.

(Bucks County)

I will suggest something that is not the best but still works for me. When I got my 1911 30+ years ago there were only standard government models available and you sent them to a gunsmith like Wilson to tune it and upgrade the parts like the beavertail safety. Eventually the manufacturers started putting upgraded parts already installed on the factory pistols but that took a while.

My pistol was a standard 1911 from Springfield armory with stock GI spec parts. I upgraded and fitted an extended safety release (on one side) and installed a one piece recoil spring guide. Then I bought a book on tuning the 1911 and stoned and polished all of the internal parts and adjusted the spring for a light crisp and safe trigger pull. Instead of hand checkering the front grip metal I went to a skateboard shop and asked them for some stick on grip material they use on the top. They looked at me funny then reached in the trash and gave me a 6x12 inch piece for free. I cut it to size and stuck it on the front of the grip frame and surprisingly it is still there after 30 years. I kept a record and it has over 6000 rounds thru it and still going strong. After ~5000 rounds it started to have problems ejecting so I rebent and filed the extractor. Probably jammed 2-3 times since in the last 1000 rounds.

So two schools of thought here. Get a 21 year old a top of the line tuned pistol or get them a stock / standard model and have him learn to tune it and keep it running. You know your kid but whatever you get they should appreciate it.

(Chester County)

Everything else is called a copy or clone.

I own a Springfield Armory GI Model and I'd prefer the Colt but I have what I have. I did own a blued 70 series Colt in the 1980's. It shot well without much trouble.

Colt 1911 Classic 70 Series.

Stainless or Blued

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/191...assic-ss-45acp

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Allegheny County)

^^

Thanks for that input.

FWIW, I didn't say I was looking for, nor can I afford, "the best". So, "the best" is out (:

I AM looking for something brand new though. I have plenty of used guns I can supply. Part of the concept I am going for is "yours, just for you". Giving something that was once someone else's kinda goes against that concept. On a positive note, I do like the idea of customization. That feeds into my concept. I'm just not knowledgeable enough to know what would be reasonable, and not just customization for customization's sake. Child knows nothing about guns now. Hard to guess what may be appropriate many years from now.

(Lancaster County)

A regular 1911 is ok. But for perfection you need to get the Glock 1911 for absolute perfection.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast