Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wicen's Farm

(Bucks County)

Thumbs up Re: Wicen's Farm

Enjoy Wicen's as frequently as you desire, Kodiak - that's why it is there.

There are some in here who find dissenting opinions most troublesome. Meh - their prerogative.

Clubs are dandy institutions, and are worth joining too. Sadly some of us do have more money than time and find the convenience of a close range compelling and accessible.

They're fine folks at Wicens.

p.s. - Semper Fi, from a really OM @ 56

Default Re: Wicen's Farm

I've been going to Wicen's for 14 years now. Until recently I fell into the ocassional catagory. Because my daughter has taken a real liking to shooting we signed up at Langhorne, which is just minutes in walking time. But I'll still visit Wicen's from time to time based solely on my desire to support a fine range. Yeah, it's 15 a trip but for that I get to walk away and think nothing more about it. I pick up my trash, sweep the brass off the bench and go home. Back when the brothers ran it I would show up on a weekday morning and was the lone shooter. They'd let me fire diagonally across the range giving me about 200yds. I guess I really liked the oldtimer way of things, two fellows who knew their land and didn't mind sharing it for a few bucks. Joe has definately tightened things up and it was nesessary given the sentiment of the surrounding idiots who built houses near a range then griped about it. Anyway, I really like the Farm and will continue to patronize them.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStaff View Post
    Enjoy Wicen's as frequently as you desire, Kodiak - that's why it is there.

There are some in here who find dissenting opinions most troublesome. Meh - their prerogative.
    They are only exercising their freedoms....which guys like us fought for so its ok

Clubs are dandy institutions, and are worth joining too. Sadly some of us do have more money than time and find the convenience of a close range compelling and accessible.

They're fine folks at Wicens.

p.s. - Semper Fi, from a really OM @ 56
    Pshaw youre not and OM....jarheads dont grow old.....we just improve with time.

(Chester County)

So how does one's 1st time @ Wicen's go? Do they stand over your shoulder the whole time you're shooting or do they lecture you etc on safety?

Also, how does becoming a member of Paletown work? Do you have to be sponsored by an existing member, etc?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMan View Post
    So how does one's 1st time @ Wicen's go? Do they stand over your shoulder the whole time you're shooting or do they lecture you etc on safety?

Also, how does becoming a member of Paletown work? Do you have to be sponsored by an existing member, etc?
    They watch you. The first time your weapons' barrel rises above level, no doubt someone will be on you. I haven't been there for over a year, so I dunno who is there anymore. There was a RO named Steve, wore large hat and couldn't go 2 sec w/o correcting someone on something. Others above will tell you it's the bees' knees, you'll have to find out for yourself.

Paletown accepts members once a year, at their February monthly meeting. A sponsor is required, I believe.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    And a Marine Veteran...anything else OM?
    I'm embarrassed for the Marines, truly. Also, anyone who is in their early to mid-30s calling someone in their early 40s an OM(old man) has definitely got identity issues. So, let me be the first to say "YOU'RE ONLY 9 YRS YOUNGER!!" First time you say "OM" it is in jest, second and third just punctuates your lack of grip on reality.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuakertownRich View Post
    I'm embarrassed for the Marines, truly. Also, anyone who is in their early to mid-30s calling someone in their early 40s an OM(old man) has definitely got identity issues. So, let me be the first to say "YOU'RE ONLY 9 YRS YOUNGER!!" First time you say "OM" it is in jest, second and third just punctuates your lack of grip on reality.
    You may be 9 years older but your mental state definitely screams OM.

The only thing that discounts your OM status is that childish neg rep you gave me....and that makes you look like an infant. I thought berating me in those PM's was sad but that just took the cake.
    Last edited by Kodiak; June 23rd, 2009 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMan View Post

First time requires purchase of a range badge for 10$ + 15 for range time, shoot all day or one round. There are 3 catagories on the badge, pistol, rifle and shotgun. Each must be signed off by a witnessing RO who will watch you load, fire and clear. You can do all three or just one. But they will continue to watch you and will correct you. Once they know you their more lax with you. I did see them throw a guy off the range once...and he had it coming, repeatedly tinkering with guns during ceasefires. I've never had a single issue with any RO there and a couple have let me fire their guns. Did clays a couple of times with the shotgun RO when he had no one else to watch. Undoubtably they can be stricter than some people feel is needed but they are in a political and territorial fight with homeowners nearby. Joe is fighting for the survival of the range and well, it's his range to do as he cares. If you only shoot occasionally and prefer outdoors it's a fine place.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    I did see them throw a guy off the range once...and he had it coming, repeatedly tinkering with guns during ceasefires.
    I had the best marksman instructors

And they gave me this shiny award:

(Montgomery County)

I just left Wicen's a few minutes ago and had a great time. Yea they watch you the first time, and keep one eye on you the rest, but it is for everyones safety, there are a lot of a holes with guns in the world after all. I had a great time, everyone was friendly, and they let me borrow a spotting scope as I forgot mine. I recommend it if you live in Bucks county.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast