Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Pennsylvania’s wild bunch spend weekends shooting guns in Cowboy garb

This article was written about a SASS shooting event in rural PA. I was a bit surprised by the unbiased representation and well written approach the journalist used in conveying this growing class of shooters in the US. Well written and informative, without the anti-gun bias.

"Tom Payne is Colaluca’s alias in the Single Action Shooting Society (SASS), an international league of sharpshooters who compete against one another with shotguns, rifles, and pistols, all while dressed in period Western wear. On this Saturday morning at the Matamoras Rod and Gun Club in Pike County, gunshots were pinging off metal as shooters moved from one station to another as fast as they could. There were cactus cutouts and vultures and a guy named “Loose Change” whose laugh was about as loud as the shotguns.

“This," said Colaluca, "is the only place where fat guys are called ‘Slim’ and old guys are called ‘Kid.’”

https://www.inquirer.com/news/guns-n...16.html#loaded

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Pennsylvania’s wild bunch spend weekends shooting guns in Cowboy garb

This is my home club and the guy that runs it goes all out. The time and effort he puts into this match and all his other matches is insane and he does it with minimal help.

Default Re: Pennsylvania’s wild bunch spend weekends shooting guns in Cowboy garb

I wonder if the author would have the same outlook if the match was a two gun or a hard as hell match which used to be called the old solider of fortune matches?

AR's, AK's lot's of scary surplus gear and in some cases two man team's using real tactics.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I wonder if the author would have the same outlook if the match was a two gun or a hard as hell match which used to be called the old solider of fortune matches?

AR's, AK's lot's of scary surplus gear and in some cases two man team's using real tactics.
    Maybe someone should put that match together and inform the author about it...you might surprise yourself.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    This is my home club and the guy that runs it goes all out. The time and effort he puts into this match and all his other matches is insane and he does it with minimal help.
    We do these types of Shoots at New Holland. Had one last weekend and they too, get all decked out. Looked like all of them were having a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoV8 View Post
    Maybe someone should put that match together and inform the author about it...you might surprise yourself.
    Unfortunately not one club at least in my area will deviate from their current courses of old man shit which pretty much doesn't interest younger guy's who are looking for some running and gunning. Regarding my comments I am not trying to speak for the reporter or assume he would be disparaging to any kind of modern running and gunning using the weapons that are so negatively portrayed.

I guess I just see the average anti gun or "reasonable restriction" supporter like my mother who knows absolutely jack shit about firearms seeing some dudes dressed up playing cow boy's with "good guy" gun's from the old west era as real harmless, what fun with a firearm should, be and a shining example of what positive 2A ownership in America should look like.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoV8 View Post
    We do these types of Shoots at New Holland. Had one last weekend and they too, get all decked out. Looked like all of them were having a great time.
    If you're not having fun shooting Cowboy, you're doing it wrong.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Unfortunately not one club at least in my area will deviate from their current courses of old man shit which pretty much doesn't interest younger guy's who are looking for some running and gunning. Regarding my comments I am not trying to speak for the reporter or assume he would be disparaging to any kind of modern running and gunning using the weapons that are so negatively portrayed.

I guess I just see the average anti gun or "reasonable restriction" supporter like my mother who knows absolutely jack shit about firearms seeing some dudes dressed up playing cow boy's with "good guy" gun's from the old west era as real harmless, what fun with a firearm should, be and a shining example of what positive 2A ownership in America should look like.
    Find a club you like and become more active in it...run for a position which could give you a little more say in what events are supported. It all takes time and with the right group of guys at the helm, you would be amazed at what can get done. New Holland has a great group of members and a board which is committed to making sure the facilities and events are up to the standards the members want. Membership at New Holland is capped and those who are active, a growing number, contribute monthly to the general upkeep and maintenance of the grounds. I am proud to be associated with this club.