Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: stripped lower

(Westmoreland County)

Default stripped lower

When you buy a stripped lower with the intention of building a pistol how should it be marked on the 4473?

(Franklin County)

Default Re: stripped lower

If it is a virgin lower do it as an other. You can do it as a pistol, but then it will always have to be transfered as such. As an other it can be used for a pistol, turned into a rifle, and back to a pistol, in case you didn't know. If it's listed as a rifle, or starts as one, it must always be a rifle.

From my experience, IANAL or FFL

(Washington County)

It should be marked as "other - receiver", neither a pistol or rifle because then it can be a rifle or pistol or made into a pistol and then a rifle, BUT once a rifle, it can't be a pistol, because the magic ATF fairy has sprinkled dust on it that makes it so. Once a rifle, always a rifle, and even with a pistol buffer tube, by putting on a barrel less than 16" you're making an illegal SBR and helicopters will instantly encircle your house.

Reference: http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2013/11...isconceptions/
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    It should be marked as "other - receiver", neither a pistol or rifle because then it can be a rifle or pistol or made into a pistol and then a rifle, BUT once a rifle, it can't be a pistol, because the magic ATF fairy has sprinkled dust on it that makes it so. Once a rifle, always a rifle, and even with a pistol buffer tube, by putting on a barrel less than 16" you're making an illegal SBR and helicopters will instantly encircle your house.

Reference: http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2013/11...isconceptions/
    What he said.

(Westmoreland County)

I knew I was right! I purchased a stepped lower from a lgs and he asked me if I was building it a pistol and I said yes so he marked the paper pistol and I questioned it and he told me this is the way they do it and they sell lots of them. O well I guess it is forever a pistol.

(Blair County)

Your lgs was wrong!!! The ATF says “other”. The PA definition of a “firearm”, in all cases, mentions a barrel, no barrel means not a “firearm”..
    Steve ( a PA dealer and a FFL)

(Westmoreland County)

I wonder if he marked the other one I bought as a rifle.

(Washington County)

This is a common misconception with FFL's.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    This is a common misconception with FFL's.
    No, it's a common misconception of FFL's that don't bother to read the regulations, or the explanations that are printed right on the 4473 packet!!

A stripped AR lower OR any virgin receiver (say one from NoDak Spud or Surgeon, or any number of custom receiver makers) are always marked as "Other" on the 4473 and in the description section it is identified as "Receiver". It is fully explained in the 4473. It is just a receiver until the barrel and stock go on.

Also, because a stripped lower is an "Other" a FFL CANNOT sell it to someone under 21.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Beaver County)

Or you can get an 80% lower an make it anything you want it to be and not have to worry about any paperwork at all. They make 80% lowers for AR15s, AR10s, AK47s, and 1911s.

There are some limitations though. Once made into a firearm, you can never sell it or transfer it, though your spouse can accept it as part of the estate. If you ever do wish to sell or transfer it, you will have to get it serial numbered and do paperwork then.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast